Chemo before Tagrisso or not? Need info but where do I start?
I am having a hard time deciding if I want to do chemo before starting Tagrisso or just starting Tagrisso without doing Chemo. My oncologist shared that he would support either way. He did feel that strong Tagrisso now is slightly where he leans but also that chemo could help too.
My situation is unique. I had my ULL removed 10/5 and was Stage 1 going in to that. There was 1 lymph node they removed that was positive but cancer. It was right on the line of being considered “tier 1 or 2” in terms of its location. I was told it could be Stage 2 or 3 depending but they staged up to 3a. Also going in, there was an 8mm nodule on the right lung that was going to be watched as it was too small to biopsy.
After surgery, the tumor board agreed that the right lung was more than likely cancer, and I received 5 rounds of SBRT radiation to address it. They cannot know if it was a second primary cancer (stage 1) or related to my left lung cancer (metastic; stage 4). Good news is, it is believed cancer on the left was all removed and the right will be addressed with the radiation.
I have the right mutation to start Tagrisso. From what I was told, Standard of care for Stage 3 would be chemo then Tag. But, if I’m stage 4, it’s no chemo, just Tag.
I’m conflicted. And very overwhelmed. I just want the best shot at living a long life. And I’m tired of living this nightmare. I appreciate my oncologist leaving it up to me but I feel ill equipped to make the decision.
Any thoughts on where I should start to gather info? I’m going ahead with chemo education which is required in order to do chemo, hoping that might help steer me.
Advice/resources are welcome.