CA-125 Results Went Up: Should I be concerned?

Posted by stparker54 @stparker54, Aug 26, 2020

The results of my CA-125 tumor marker test increased from 16.8 to 20.3. This is the fourth time I've had a tumor marker test and it's the first time there was an increase in the results. How concerned should I be?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Gynecologic Cancers Support Group.

@carole2022

Yes. However, they are now going to try something else, which sounds hopeful as to prolonging things. Overall, she still is coping well. Thank you for caring.

Jump to this post

Praying for you! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

My recent CA125 result was 40. My oncologist wants me to start Lynparza. Has anyone had experience with this pill?

@drterry

Thank you!!!!! Yes, I’m going for further testing. I had a very rare bladder cancer, urachal Adenocarcinoma. I’m 3 years cancer free! My gynecologist saved my life. We caught it early. I don’t take any chances.

Jump to this post

I have a rare bladder cancer also, high grade, but didn't invade the muscle. What treatment did you get for your cancer and did you have your bladder removed? My B.C. is a result of a lot of radiation and lymph node removal years ago for a metastasis on my colon & hip bone. The radiation saved my life but I'm now dealing with the effects of it. Thank you.

@drterry

My recent CA 125 was 38.1. I’ve never had abnormal results before. I’m really concerned. I’m also being treated for GERD. I have the best GYNECOLOGIST. I’m going for pelvis/abdominal MRI next week and consult for endoscopy. I know she’s concerned about ovarian CA. Anyone heard of high numbers not related to some type of CA?

Jump to this post

Ovarian cancer starts in the fallopian tubes.

@sherrill2023

Ovarian cancer starts in the fallopian tubes.

Jump to this post

I guess there are concerns about ovaries, fallopian tubes and peritonitum. 😔

@chrissiebee

I have a rare bladder cancer also, high grade, but didn't invade the muscle. What treatment did you get for your cancer and did you have your bladder removed? My B.C. is a result of a lot of radiation and lymph node removal years ago for a metastasis on my colon & hip bone. The radiation saved my life but I'm now dealing with the effects of it. Thank you.

Jump to this post

Oh my, I’m so sorry. Urachal Adenocarcinoma is from failure of the bladder to separate from umbilical cord in third trimester in utero. The tumor grew in a diverticulum. I just had surgery to remove the tumor and urachal tracts. There is no protocol its so rare. Praying for you. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

@drterry

Oh my, I’m so sorry. Urachal Adenocarcinoma is from failure of the bladder to separate from umbilical cord in third trimester in utero. The tumor grew in a diverticulum. I just had surgery to remove the tumor and urachal tracts. There is no protocol its so rare. Praying for you. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Jump to this post

Thank you for your prayers. My best to you.

two years ago was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer, went through surgery and then Chemo its been a year and 4month in remission. In Feb my CA 125 was 13.5 in March first week my numbers went up to 723. CT shows no signs of anything two weeks later my CA 773. Should I wait for signs or get a PET done? My doctor says we might just be treating a number.
any insite on this would be grateful

@1morgan

two years ago was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer, went through surgery and then Chemo its been a year and 4month in remission. In Feb my CA 125 was 13.5 in March first week my numbers went up to 723. CT shows no signs of anything two weeks later my CA 773. Should I wait for signs or get a PET done? My doctor says we might just be treating a number.
any insite on this would be grateful

Jump to this post

Hi @1morgan, welcome. I moved your question about rising levels of CA 125 to this existing discussion:
- - CA-125 Results Went Up: Should I be concerned? https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/ca-125-results-rose/

I did this so you can read previous posts and connect with members like @stparker54 @starko @miriam57 @odette @carole2022 @cctoo @smalayman4016 @drterry @egins1208 @chrissiebee and others.

From Mayo Clinic:
"Rising CA 125 levels MAY indicate that ovarian cancer has come back after treatment. Regular monitoring of CA 125 has NOT been shown to improve outcomes for those with ovarian cancer and may lead to additional and unnecessary rounds of chemotherapy or other treatments."

Usually further testing and monitoring are necessary to confirm what is going on. Has your oncologist suggested further testing?

It is normal to worry a little when this happens. If you don’t have any symptoms, and it’s only a small blip up perhaps hold your breath and wait for the next test and hopefully it will be back down to the lower level again. Many things can cause some inflammation which result in a brief uptick.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.