Bummed: Colon cancer has metastasized to my liver!

Posted by tinad @tinad, Jul 6, 2020

I’ve been cancer free for 4 years and now it has metastasized to my liver!!! Ugh! I’ve had the liver resection, stomach resection and gallbladder removed only to get news halfway through chemo (2nd time around) that there may be disease at the liver surgical site and chemo is not working. My blood work does not indicate any tumor activity but I’m scared and anxious that the cancer has in fact survived the chemo blast. I’m active, I eat well, I’m not over weight, I don’t have a family history of colon cancer, I haven’t had any polyps since the original one went haywire…I feel defeated by something that was never on my radar to being with! I want options.

I'm so sorry. I will keep you in my prayers.
When yyvf seems to be working well on my husbs
Have you tried immunotherapy ?

REPLY

Hi @tinad, you've really been given a punch in the gut. I'd also like to bring @sc1218 @mrudich and @sundance6 into this discussion. They, too, are living with stage 4 colon cancer.

Have your team discussed treatment options with you like ablation or other interventional radiology treatments, chemotherapy with hepatic arterial infusion (HAI), or targeted therapies? There are options to explore.

REPLY

Thanks! And no, no options discussed at this point that conversation takes place later this week. My sister sent me an article on HIPEC that looks promising. Immunotherapy is not an option for me, I’ve been told, due to results of genetic testing performed on the tumor.

REPLY
@lah

I'm so sorry. I will keep you in my prayers.
When yyvf seems to be working well on my husbs
Have you tried immunotherapy ?

Jump to this post

I am so sorry. I have no idea what that sentence was supposed to say.

REPLY
@tinad

Thanks! And no, no options discussed at this point that conversation takes place later this week. My sister sent me an article on HIPEC that looks promising. Immunotherapy is not an option for me, I’ve been told, due to results of genetic testing performed on the tumor.

Jump to this post

@tinad, While I'm sorry that immunotherapy is not an option for you, it is good that you had genetic testing to find that out. How devastating it would be to go through therapy unnecessarily and to have held hope. I look forward to hearing what you learn at your consult later this week.

REPLY

Doc was not in the office today so conversation on options has been pushed to Monday.

REPLY

I am so sorry to hear this. Do your best to stay positive and stay strong (I know it is easier said than done). I will pray for you

REPLY
@flahertygang

I am so sorry to hear this. Do your best to stay positive and stay strong (I know it is easier said than done). I will pray for you

Jump to this post

I’m doing my best to remain positive and have sent in a request for a consultation at the Rochester campus. Only option offerEd at this time from my doc is to switch from Folfox to Folfiery. I started that protocol yesterday. I saw an article about photoimmunotherapy trial that I’m interested in checking out since surgery is not an option for me. Does anyone know about this treatment?

REPLY

Hi I'm 2 months post liver resection surgery and trying to make sure I've researched all my options. 3C Cancer 2018 1.Colon Resection, 2. Folfox treatment, disease free until Sep20 (which is/was encouraging to me). 3. We tried an ablation and it came back. So 4. the big Liver Section surgery was rough. I am very hung up on my 5 year survival rate. I'm 53. No interesting markers, just TP53 which is common. Chemo is not being recommended – which I am OK with. Chemo was very difficult for me. So I'm told we wait….and we hope for 6 months clear and 2 months clear and at that point I could exhale. It's a 60% chance of returning apparently which stinks. Any advice? The NSK tumor test was send out but I don't understand the real value of that if doing a 2nd resection is what is recommended (if operable) Thank you for reading this

REPLY
@tinad

I’m doing my best to remain positive and have sent in a request for a consultation at the Rochester campus. Only option offerEd at this time from my doc is to switch from Folfox to Folfiery. I started that protocol yesterday. I saw an article about photoimmunotherapy trial that I’m interested in checking out since surgery is not an option for me. Does anyone know about this treatment?

Jump to this post

How are you doing now @tinad? I'm in the same boat with diagnosis looking for answers

REPLY

I’m now on Lonsurf since Folfox and Folfury did not stop or slow disease progression. The last 2 scans have shown disease is stable and no new disease but my oncologist says to be guarded about what scans indicate as the type of tumors could be hard to detect through imaging. I’ve also been taking Turmeric supplements and am choosing to believe that those are helping. I have scans this week so we’ll see if there’s any change.

REPLY

Stable scans sounds good. I believe you mentioned the disease is inoperable, are all the interventional radiology approaches (ablation, freezing) also out?. I'm sorry if that is the case. Are you tolerating Lonsurf well?

REPLY
Please sign in or register to post a reply.