Bowel movement issues.

Posted by drax @drax, Apr 14, 2016

Bowel movement issues.

I am 40, male, white, 6' tall, 155lbs, take no medications, walk several miles a day, no known diseases and in general no health problems, no history of problems either. Idon't drink soft drinks, mostly coffee and water. I eat some junk food but not an excessive amount.

2 or 3 times a week I have a bowel movement. The first time I do its a good amount with no problems, but an hour or two later I have another that is smaller, then another smaller and it goes on most of the day till finally I have one tiny movement and I am done. After the first movement the rest usually preceded by a slight stingling paint at my rectum. And as the movements go on through the day the pieces of stool get smaller, some movements may be 4 to 6 small pieces smooth and a inch long. This has been going on several months now. First movement is usually like 10am and I'm finally done around 7 or 8 pm that day with having to take up to 10 trips to the bathroom throughout the day.

Every once in a while though while rare I have a bowel movement in a few larger pieces and then I am done, not having another movement again for the day. It's like a normal movement but they don't happen often.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Digestive Health Support Group.

Hi @drax, welcome to Connect.
This article about irritable bowel syndrome states http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/irritable-bowel-syndrome/basics/definition/con-20024578

"Although as many as 1 in 5 American adults has signs and symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, fewer than 1 in 5 who have symptoms seek medical help. Yet it's important to see your doctor if you have a persistent change in bowel habits or if you have any other signs or symptoms of IBS because these may indicate a more serious condition."

I'm tagging @citylady @mgnunez75 @boogirl who may have something to add to this conversation.

@drax, have you seen a doctor about your symptoms?

Hi, It sounds like IBS Irritable ​bowel syndrome . Drinking coffee for<br />
me is like taking a laxative. I have to watch certain foods like spicy,<br />
red wine, coffee, and watch these foods closely when I'm stressed. There<br />
are meds for this but fiber is your best friend. I go to Costco and by<br />
there brand of cilium fiber and start with 2 a day. You can take more but I<br />
would start there. Don't take any medication 2 hours before or after you<br />
take the fiber. It sounds counter intuitive to take fiber for loose bowels<br />
but, it works for me. The only time I have this problem is when I forget<br />
to take my fiber. Good luck, Missie P.S. I'm not a Doc. but my gastro<br />
had me do this and I'm so much better.<br />

Hi @drax, One thing to do may be to keep a log of your symptoms, and in the meantime give your doctor a call.They may want you to come in to hear more about what's going on in order to figure out a treatment plan to help you get an accurate diagnosis and relief.

The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse (NDDIC) suggests asking some of these questions about constipation, which may be useful to talk over with your doctor:

What medical tests can help determine the cause of chronic constipation?
Can constipation be a sign of another health condition?
Besides high-fiber foods, what else can I do to increase my fiber intake?
What lifestyle changes can I make to treat and prevent constipation?
Besides medication, what other treatments are there for chronic constipation?

Mayo Clinic also has a guide to prepare for an appointment to speak with your doctor about constipation: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/constipation/basics/preparing-for-your-appointment/con-20032773

Please sign in or register to post a reply.