My daughter meets every criteria for borderline personality disorder

Posted by 14gardens @14gardens, Nov 18, 2012

My 19 year old daughter meets every one of the criteria for BPD. Anyone out there have first-hand experience in dealing with someone close to them with this disorder?
And, would anyone with BPD be willing to talk openly and honestly about their experience in dealing with this disorder themselves?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Mental Health Support Group.

@reichertolivia12

I'm 19 years old, and I have most of the criteria for BPD. I also have ADHD, and side effects of anxiety and major depression.

Jump to this post

I am glad to hear that you are seeking help and taking medication to help with the symptoms. How long have you been on Abilify? And do you think it helps? My daughter is currently taking it as well. Out of curiosity, would you consider yourself to have a lot of past traumas in your life? My daughter has and I am wondering if others who suffer with this have as well.

Lots of people have been diagnosed with mental issues when they are really suffering from cerebral allergies or brain allergies. They need to remove themselves from the offending food or environmental substance which goes directly to them brain and causes problems. Do your research on cerebral allergies and find a clinical ecologist. Get hold of a book called 'Coping with your allergies' by Natalie Golos. This should help a lot. Go on the internet and researc research research. I have just had to diagnose myself through researc because doctors did not understand any of my issues. I recognised that I was suffering from brain allergies to protein. I felt like I was going crazy when I used anything with protein. This meant I was always eating almost nothing. My brain would get very fuzzy and I could not focus or concentrate. I would be sleepy all day long and actually go into short dreams all day long, no matter what I am doing. I would be awake but dreaming. Doctors could not understand that. In researching I realise that the brain allergies have thrown me into narcolepsy. They say it is not curable. But I know it can be controlled if I control my allergies. Being on a raw vegetable and fruit diet helps to control the allergies. vegetables must be raw. Cabbage. carrots. cucucumber. christophene. celery. tomatoes. lettuce. You can shred them up or blend them and use as a drink but you need to balance it with protein. I cant have the protein so I try the liquid predigested proteins and I also use multi enzymes for digestion.

I have a 30 yr old daughter with BPD. Best books: Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder by Valerie Porr, and When Hope Is Not Enough, by Bon Dobbs. Steer clear of Stop Walking On Eggshells, by Randi Kreeger. Tough love DOES NOT work. The NEABPD website is excellent (neabpd.com). Get on their waiting list for a Family Connections class -- a life saver. Register for their free call-in series on Sunday nights. Check with NAMI & local hospitals to see if there are support groups specifically for BPD. DBT is the gold standard for treatment. Therapy as usual is often harmful. Don't take her treatment of you personally; it's not about you. Don't kick her out. Things improve dramatically once you learn the proper way to communicate. (I never would have believed it.) She is in unspeakable pain. I know you both must feel you're living in hell. It can get better. It really can.

@bpd31mneedhelp

Hi, I am 31 year old male suffering from bpd. I wish there was a solid way to treat this hell of an illness. It's like u destroy Ur own life unintendedly. I'm currently taking an anti depressant to try and help as much as possible.

Jump to this post

I'm so sorry. It a terrible disorder that is genetic & biological. You didn't cause it. My 30 year old daughter was on crystal meth for 2 years -- anything to stop the pain -- before making a last ditch effort to find help. She went online & found a DBT trained therapist who has helped her so much (but my dtr has also put in a lot of hard work). But DBT can be expensive & hard to find. Perhaps your local chapter of NAMI could give you some advice. And DBT is not the only effective therapy. There's also STEPPS & Schema. Check out meandmyblacktable on YouTube. You must feel so alone, but for reassurance that you're not, go to psychforums.com. I hope you'll soon have more reason to hope & wish you the best of luck.

@bpd31mneedhelp

Hi, I am 31 year old male suffering from bpd. I wish there was a solid way to treat this hell of an illness. It's like u destroy Ur own life unintendedly. I'm currently taking an anti depressant to try and help as much as possible.

Jump to this post

You can help him by learning how to communicate. People with BPD don't feel heard or understood & wil turn to anything that helps them make it through the day. Two books I highly recommend: Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder by Valerie Porr, and When Hope Is Not Enough by Bon Dobbs.

@anndelusia

I have a 30 yr old daughter with BPD. Best books: Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder by Valerie Porr, and When Hope Is Not Enough, by Bon Dobbs. Steer clear of Stop Walking On Eggshells, by Randi Kreeger. Tough love DOES NOT work. The NEABPD website is excellent (neabpd.com). Get on their waiting list for a Family Connections class -- a life saver. Register for their free call-in series on Sunday nights. Check with NAMI & local hospitals to see if there are support groups specifically for BPD. DBT is the gold standard for treatment. Therapy as usual is often harmful. Don't take her treatment of you personally; it's not about you. Don't kick her out. Things improve dramatically once you learn the proper way to communicate. (I never would have believed it.) She is in unspeakable pain. I know you both must feel you're living in hell. It can get better. It really can.

Jump to this post

Thanks so much~your info will be incredibly helpful I am sure!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.