Boyfriend is bipolar, wondering if these behaviors are common?

Posted by kturd @kturd, Apr 4, 2012

My boyfriend is bipolar..Is it common for them to turn things around on you, no matter what you say or do? game-playing and definately a one way street, things will set them off?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Mental Health Support Group.

One source for you to consider is the book The Burden of Sympathy: How Families Cope with Mental Illness by David A. Karp (Oxford University Press). I found the book to be very helpful in putting a framework around being a family member or friend to a loved one with mental illness and the difficulty negotiating an "appropriate" level of involvement with the mentally ill loved one while maintaining enough distance for personal health. Set out below are some excerpts that may be useful:

As difficult as it is to manage emotions in caring for a physically ill person, efforts to negotiate appropriate emotions are still more arduous in dealing with a mentally ill person. Since shared moods and feelings are necessary for the maintenance of social life, mentally ill people especially disrupt family life because they suffer from an “affective” disorder. The diagnoses of depression or manic-depression (bipolar) are partly defined by a person’s inability to feel “correct” emotions.

While their sickness might dramatically disrupt the logistical routines of everyday family life, physically ill people are ordinarily deeply invested in getting well and returning to their presickness social roles. In contrast, mentally ill persons, virtually by definition, cannot abide by the usual rules of social settings and behave in socially unacceptable ways. Sometimes they deny that they are ill, and frequently treat their caregivers with hostility instead of gratitude.

Further, if ordinary social interaction requires the ability of persons to see the world from each other’s perspectives, efforts at meaningful communication with the mentally ill are typically short-circuited. After all, they have been identified as mentally ill because they have feelings and thoughts that are incomprehensible to “healthy” persons.

In this way, mentally ill people threaten both the concrete routines of daily life and, more significantly, the implicit symbolic order on which such routines are premised. Their behaviors are especially disturbing because they upset the most sacred of all social things – the coherency of everyday life.

@rjb711

One source for you to consider is the book The Burden of Sympathy: How Families Cope with Mental Illness by David A. Karp (Oxford University Press). I found the book to be very helpful in putting a framework around being a family member or friend to a loved one with mental illness and the difficulty negotiating an "appropriate" level of involvement with the mentally ill loved one while maintaining enough distance for personal health. Set out below are some excerpts that may be useful:

As difficult as it is to manage emotions in caring for a physically ill person, efforts to negotiate appropriate emotions are still more arduous in dealing with a mentally ill person. Since shared moods and feelings are necessary for the maintenance of social life, mentally ill people especially disrupt family life because they suffer from an “affective” disorder. The diagnoses of depression or manic-depression (bipolar) are partly defined by a person’s inability to feel “correct” emotions.

While their sickness might dramatically disrupt the logistical routines of everyday family life, physically ill people are ordinarily deeply invested in getting well and returning to their presickness social roles. In contrast, mentally ill persons, virtually by definition, cannot abide by the usual rules of social settings and behave in socially unacceptable ways. Sometimes they deny that they are ill, and frequently treat their caregivers with hostility instead of gratitude.

Further, if ordinary social interaction requires the ability of persons to see the world from each other’s perspectives, efforts at meaningful communication with the mentally ill are typically short-circuited. After all, they have been identified as mentally ill because they have feelings and thoughts that are incomprehensible to “healthy” persons.

In this way, mentally ill people threaten both the concrete routines of daily life and, more significantly, the implicit symbolic order on which such routines are premised. Their behaviors are especially disturbing because they upset the most sacred of all social things – the coherency of everyday life.

Jump to this post

thank you so much..i appreciate your time and it has helped me

@jpian4t

It's very difficult to understand bipolar unless you have it. I have bipolar 1. My relationships In my life are such work to maintain. My husband does not understand and I think it's frustrating for both of us

Jump to this post

It is hard to understand....I am trying....seems selfish

@partytown25

Hi there. I think the disease affects people in different ways. I have bipolar disorder and was still really new to the disease when I got married. My mood swings put such a strain on the relationship that 6 years of dating turning into about a year and a half of marriage. I had times where I acted irrationally and lashed out at my wife and my family. If you can tell when your boyfriend is agitated or on the high end of his mood, I would suggest trying to keep the peace and don't try to win any arguements. I also found medication to be VERY important for me, so if he allows you, support him to find the combination that is going to stabilize his mood the best. Above all else, try your best to ignore his crap when he's not well. Speaking from experience, I was never myself at the high or low ends and none of the stuff I said or did was rational.

Jump to this post

my problems furthered... im greatfull for your reply and i trust that your doing well... its just my bf ended up cheating on me and the doctors say im ... bipolar??? i dont even understand

@partytown25

Hi there. I think the disease affects people in different ways. I have bipolar disorder and was still really new to the disease when I got married. My mood swings put such a strain on the relationship that 6 years of dating turning into about a year and a half of marriage. I had times where I acted irrationally and lashed out at my wife and my family. If you can tell when your boyfriend is agitated or on the high end of his mood, I would suggest trying to keep the peace and don't try to win any arguements. I also found medication to be VERY important for me, so if he allows you, support him to find the combination that is going to stabilize his mood the best. Above all else, try your best to ignore his crap when he's not well. Speaking from experience, I was never myself at the high or low ends and none of the stuff I said or did was rational.

Jump to this post

I was diagnoesd as being bi-polar in about 1998 or so. It has taken me a long time to feel like I understand how the illness effects me and what I need to do to control it. The journey has involved A LOT of learning and taking the time to participate in therapy of some sort. I been involved in programs that were more like courses, done a few different types of group therapy, worked with 2 psychiatrists and 2 psychologists over this time, spent 2 weeks in a psychiatric ward after a manic episode where I participated in different programs. Topics of the courses I have taken include things like stress management, anger management, relaxation techniques, cognitive behavior techniques, WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan), My message is that it is in your best interest to learn as much about bi-polar as you can, figure out how things relate to you and work with a psychologist AND a psychiatrist to help you through things. I found that until I was committed to making changes and actually working on myself, I was just spinning my wheels and not making much progress. On the other hand, I think I needed a lot of time to get to the point where I was ready to move forward and I don't think there is anything too wrong with that either. Move at your own pace if you are able to, keep doing things that you enjoy and try not to beat yourself up about making mistakes or having bad days along the way. I have learned more from the times I have screwed up or made mistakes than when things have been fine. If I can work though this, any one can.

@partytown25

Jump to this post

thank you for your time..i agree abuse is abuse....an illness is not an excuse...no one should be a doormat in any situation...yes i have to take better care of myself .

@partytown25

Jump to this post

hope you are doing good....i think it would be harder to be bipolar than diabetic....again not an excuse to cheat....i just feel crazy some days...

@partytown25

Jump to this post

i like your post...its true...i want to help him but he has to agree with it and i am tired of keeping the peace...we both have kids...they dont need to see that..im pretty forward though...

@partytown25

Jump to this post

yes there are distortions of the truth...interesting....thank you i feel better hearing other peoples situations

@partytown25

Jump to this post

you are right you have to want the help...he has to make that choice...i will help him even if it means im the bad guy...just to see him successful...and better...we are old enough though...

Please sign in or register to post a reply.