Aromatase Inhibitors: Did you decide to go on them or not?

Posted by nanato6 @nanato6, Oct 12, 2018

Nanaloves: I’m about to start arimidex and just feel that the contraindications , bone issues etc. are overwhelming. I’m 70 years old, dodged a bullet I feel with zero stage DCIS but the follow up is pretty much no different then if it was more aggressive. I’ve just done 33 treatments of radiation and now they advise arimidex as a preventative. I’m not sure with the beginnings of arthritis and lower back. sensitivity already that I should take it. Anyone not take it and not have a recurrence within the 5 years.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@frogjumper

Agree, and I would add that my uneducated guess is that the side affects of AI's, Tamoxifen would mimic menopause and mine was absolute hell. If you had a rough time with that like me then this therapy would be almost just like it or maybe worse. I chose to turn them down no matter what. I also turned down the Oncotype test as well, simply because I knew I would not take them, making the test a moot point. Had they found cancer in my lymph node(s) I knew I was a 100% I wanted chemo. That was my plan and I was sticking with it. Thankfully they did not and my pathology turned out great. Based on the algorithms my benefit of AI"s was in the 0.4 to 1.4 range over 10 years. My belief is that a lot of woman take them because they are told to and I don't think they are doing themselves any favors by not finding out exactly benefit vs toxicities and quality of life.

Jump to this post

Well, I guess I may disagree with the permanence of Chemo and Radiation vs AI. My point being, I had radiation with no side effects. AI caused a multitude of side effects to the systemic maintenance of normal functions. Osteoporosis is no little thing, stroke is no little thing. Daily muscle pain is no little thing. Hair loss is no little thing. Please ladies, consider what is Best for you individually and advocate for yourself. There are No one size solutions to treatment. ❤️

@windyshores

@ginip very interesting about improvements in quality of life in the first year or two with 3 month breaks in therapy. I wondered, since my side effects were the worst when I first started, and my bone loss was worse in the first year than the other 4 years, whether intermittent therapy would somehow pose worse effects, particularly on bones. I would love to see this study after 5 years rather than two!

Overall this could be an encouraging option if adopted in practice and the guidelines. Thanks for sharing.

Jump to this post

Yes! So much to be considered when trying to decide what to do!

I just wish we could be provided with medical updates for consideration as they happen by our medical caregivers instead of relying on Google for this much needed info in making such a huge decision

@ginip

Yes! So much to be considered when trying to decide what to do!

I just wish we could be provided with medical updates for consideration as they happen by our medical caregivers instead of relying on Google for this much needed info in making such a huge decision

Jump to this post

I rely on breastcancer.org. for a lot of my info.

@windyshores

@ginip very interesting about improvements in quality of life in the first year or two with 3 month breaks in therapy. I wondered, since my side effects were the worst when I first started, and my bone loss was worse in the first year than the other 4 years, whether intermittent therapy would somehow pose worse effects, particularly on bones. I would love to see this study after 5 years rather than two!

Overall this could be an encouraging option if adopted in practice and the guidelines. Thanks for sharing.

Jump to this post

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Please know I did not experience any side effects of consequence during my first year on Anastrozole. This second year has resulted in side effects that have left me considering my quality of life as I opted for a hold from taking Anastrozole suggested by my oncologist . I only found this article of interest as I consider what my my options are going forward. The article is something I did not know might be an option going forward. It is under consideration.

@ginip

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Please know I did not experience any side effects of consequence during my first year on Anastrozole. This second year has resulted in side effects that have left me considering my quality of life as I opted for a hold from taking Anastrozole suggested by my oncologist . I only found this article of interest as I consider what my my options are going forward. The article is something I did not know might be an option going forward. It is under consideration.

Jump to this post

Hope a three month break is allowed and you can continue!

@windyshores

@frogjumper I understand your fears of a repeat menopause experience! I took letrozole for 5 years and that was not what happened for me. I had some hot flashes at first, but I pretty much still had them anyway (and still do at 72). I am sensitive to meds and had to take brand name, which solved the problem of fillers.

I just want to mention some misunderstandings about the Oncotype, if only for others reading posts on this forum. The Oncotype is used now not only in addition to pathology but, I guess you could say, instead of. By that I mean, a grade one cancer may have a high Oncotype, and 30% of grade 3's (including mine) have low Oncotypes (and don't benefit from chemo). Some patients with 1-3 positive lymph nodes have an Oncotype that says no chemo.

In other words, the genomic testing of the Oncotype (and other tests like Mammaprint) give information that you cannot get any other way.

I do think that if your ER and PR were highly positive, and HER2- (and ki67% low) you could speculate that you are at low risk (your doc can confirm_, but an Oncotype can confirm that with more assurance.
(We can have one at any time, using surgical pathology specimens.)

I do not just do what docs tell me to do. My case was complicated with a lot of contradictory tests, and I already had severe osteoporosis- not osteopenia. I got 4 opinions. I trust the stats from Oncotype that my risk was cut in half with meds and nothing would stop me from taking them. That was my choice and sure there were side effects (some that eased) and probably health effects, but I wanted to do anything I could to avoid a recurrence and was so grateful to take AI's and not have chemo.

I have done bone meds for 18 months (after finishing letrozole) and my bone density is now better than before the aromatase inhibitor, so that has been addressed.

At the 5 year mark, I did a Breast Cancer Index, another genomic test that tells whether extending hormonal therapy is of benefit, and what our risk is. I got a "no" to more meds. If I had gotten a "yes' I would have done two more years, not five.

I am glad your risk is considered low and wish you and everyone reading this the best in these difficult decisions.

Jump to this post

Agree ... Thanks for posting details of your experience. Very encouraging as I've chosen a similar path for testing and treatment choices.

@georga35

Agree ... Thanks for posting details of your experience. Very encouraging as I've chosen a similar path for testing and treatment choices.

Jump to this post

I am no one year in on Anastrozole; minimal acceptable side effects mitigated by yoga, stretching and walking/hiking. My bones held with essentially no change and were good to start.

But a new thing has just emerged… diarrhea! Has anyone experienced this?

It could be completely unrelated but I need to consider all possibilities. Bacteria and parasites have been ruled out. I did all those tests. I have scheduled a colonoscopy a few months earlier than usual as well.

@ginip

You are a very helpful friend of this platform. I thank you! Sharing a recent possible alternative that might prove valuable. I am hopeful that the medical experts will eventually find it appropriate to share these with us who are contemplating the value of side effects. ❤️

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41416-019-0435-4

Jump to this post

I hadn't seen this study before and it's interesting. The aromatase inhibitors are still relatively new so maybe, over time, doctors will titrate dosing with some precision or even lower it. I was reluctant to knock out estrogen completely for several reasons so declined them. I also declined site-specific radiation and chemo wasn't suggested as I had the low OncotypeDX score. I'll never know if any of these decisions turn out to be 'wrong because I could have done any or all of them and still have a recurrence. The statistics for breast cancer treatments are all over the place and include statistics for damage or side effects from the various treatment paths as well. There are a lot of research studies looking at how to attack cancer successfully with less toxic or damaging tools. What we aren't seeing yet is science finding cancer prevention success though. Unfortunately.

@windyshores

@frogjumper I understand your fears of a repeat menopause experience! I took letrozole for 5 years and that was not what happened for me. I had some hot flashes at first, but I pretty much still had them anyway (and still do at 72). I am sensitive to meds and had to take brand name, which solved the problem of fillers.

I just want to mention some misunderstandings about the Oncotype, if only for others reading posts on this forum. The Oncotype is used now not only in addition to pathology but, I guess you could say, instead of. By that I mean, a grade one cancer may have a high Oncotype, and 30% of grade 3's (including mine) have low Oncotypes (and don't benefit from chemo). Some patients with 1-3 positive lymph nodes have an Oncotype that says no chemo.

In other words, the genomic testing of the Oncotype (and other tests like Mammaprint) give information that you cannot get any other way.

I do think that if your ER and PR were highly positive, and HER2- (and ki67% low) you could speculate that you are at low risk (your doc can confirm_, but an Oncotype can confirm that with more assurance.
(We can have one at any time, using surgical pathology specimens.)

I do not just do what docs tell me to do. My case was complicated with a lot of contradictory tests, and I already had severe osteoporosis- not osteopenia. I got 4 opinions. I trust the stats from Oncotype that my risk was cut in half with meds and nothing would stop me from taking them. That was my choice and sure there were side effects (some that eased) and probably health effects, but I wanted to do anything I could to avoid a recurrence and was so grateful to take AI's and not have chemo.

I have done bone meds for 18 months (after finishing letrozole) and my bone density is now better than before the aromatase inhibitor, so that has been addressed.

At the 5 year mark, I did a Breast Cancer Index, another genomic test that tells whether extending hormonal therapy is of benefit, and what our risk is. I got a "no" to more meds. If I had gotten a "yes' I would have done two more years, not five.

I am glad your risk is considered low and wish you and everyone reading this the best in these difficult decisions.

Jump to this post

It's not true that "30% of grade 3 (breast cancers) have low OncotypeDX score." I've asked the OncotypeDX customer support people if this is true as it's been posted several times on Mayo Connect and it's not an accurate.

@callalloo

It's not true that "30% of grade 3 (breast cancers) have low OncotypeDX score." I've asked the OncotypeDX customer support people if this is true as it's been posted several times on Mayo Connect and it's not an accurate.

Jump to this post

I didn't edit my comment fast enough so the final sentence doesn't make a lot of sense. I have a call into Oncotype and will talk with them and try to get some useful stats. But in theory, all other things being equal as the economists like to put it, grade 3 breast cancer OncotypeDX results would parallel the actual realized recurrence stats for the general breast cancer population offset or augmented by whatever mitigating factors (health, other genetics, lifestyle, access to proactive medical care, environmental factors, etc.) also come into play for each individual. Age plays a role as well.

For those wanting to do a deep dig on the OncotypeDX protocol, and the statistical universe it works off of, there are links on the parent company's (Exact Sciences) website.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.