Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Posted by rabbit10 @rabbit10, Apr 9, 2016

Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@helennicola

gabapentin is released through the kidneys and has very little relation to the liver. Gabapentin has shown up in drug related health issues/death when combined with other drugs such as fentanyl. Everything I have read or heard says gabapentin is safe but not without side effects.

Jump to this post

I take 2,400 mg of gabapentin a day with no side effects. Lucky me!😃

@darlingtondoll

I take 2,400 mg of gabapentin a day with no side effects. Lucky me!😃

Jump to this post

@darlingtondoll You are very lucky it has no side effects for you. I tried but then had to stop as I had a couple of side effects I didn't like .

Hi all I have been taking 2700mg of gabapentin a day for a long time, I have been told by doctors that a person can go higher. Are there side effects and possible long term issues, sure, but when my hands or feet are burning, especially at 2 am, I am glad I take it. neuropathy is a nightmare and I am not worried about 10 years from now when I am suffering today. just my two cents, best wishes to you all.

@johnbishop

@terrydclaar and @gilbertc1 -- I found this NIH article that talks about the issue but even they say it's not conclusive.

Hold the Gaba: A Case of Gabapentin-induced Hepatotoxicity
-- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6093755/

Here's another recent article found on Google Scholar (https://scholar.google.com/).

Drug-Induced Liver Injury in the Setting of Analgesic Use
-- https://www.liver.theclinics.com/article/S1089-3261(19)30072-8/abstract

Jump to this post

Gabapentin left me feeling foggy and ill most of the time. I stopped it. Now a friend has told me about a formula called Neuropathy Support Formula, from a company in Eagle, ID. Has anyone tried this? My feet are so numb; feel as if they are encased in cement. Any suggestions?

@pedie

Gabapentin left me feeling foggy and ill most of the time. I stopped it. Now a friend has told me about a formula called Neuropathy Support Formula, from a company in Eagle, ID. Has anyone tried this? My feet are so numb; feel as if they are encased in cement. Any suggestions?

Jump to this post

@pedie, I take supplements for my small fiber PN and I only have numbness of the feet and ankles for symptoms and no pain. Gabapentine only helps with the pain. You can read my story and what helps me in an earlier post on Connect here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/anyone-here-dealing-with-peripheral-neuropathy/?pg=42#comment-65985

Hopefully others can share what helps them also. You really have to do your own research on whatever you decide because there are a lot of companies out there making money off of people with neuropathy. The following article gives an overview of supplements that can help neuropathy but you should still discuss with your doctor before taking them.

Medical News Today -- Which supplements can help with neuropathy?
-- https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326917

@rabbit10

Thanks for your reply grandma41 would mind sharing your essential oil formula? I would like to try it.<br />
<br />

Jump to this post

I've had PN for 10 years !
Today is my 1st day for PN treatment in OKC !
I have to go twice a week for 12 weeks !
It is 300 miles round trip !
I'll keep everyone informed on how these treatments work for me !

@seniordon09

Jump to this post

What kind of PN treatments were you getting in OKC?
What were the results of these treatments; hope they relieved you of your PN symptoms to some degree. Thanks, Terry

@seniordon09

Jump to this post

@seniordon09

Are the 2 days of treatment close together? I would stay in town to save myself that long drive. When I was getting ready for ECT treatments, a 3+ hour drive each way over a mountain pass, I considered taking my travel trailer over and park it in the hospital RV park. I ended up not doing the ECT, so my housing arrangements became moot. (My wife refused to go along with my decision to have the treatment.)

You're going to be piling on the miles. With the oil situation between Saudi Arabia and others, the price of fuel could be dropping. That would surely be to your advantage.

Jim

@terrydclaar

What kind of PN treatments were you getting in OKC?
What were the results of these treatments; hope they relieved you of your PN symptoms to some degree. Thanks, Terry

Jump to this post

The 1st thing the nurse does is inject vitamins, nutrients and minerals into the back side of my toes, then go into the treatment room where electrodes are placed on my feet and toes ! The nurse turns the intensity up on the electrodes just as much as you can stand ! The next visit the nurse will inject my toes again and turn up the intensity of the electrodes again ! There was no pain in this treatment and lasted about 20 minutes !

@seniordon09

Jump to this post

Good luck to you!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.