Severe separation anxiety

Posted by 911489348 @911489348, May 24, 2016

Does anyone suffer from severe separation anxiety and trying to taper off of benzodiazepines like Xanax and Ativan

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Depression & Anxiety Support Group.

@callalily74

Hi 911489348. I'm so sorry about what your husband did. Zoloft (which I take) is for depression and you should probably stay on it, because I'm not sure whether your mental health will plummet if you taper off. I also take ativan or valium, both of which are for anxiety. I also take other drugs and know I'd be in a desperate condition without them. If you see a therapist, and talk about what your husband did, that might help you process it eventually and you won't need meds anymore. But something like what your husband did can Probably leave negative effects for a long time. Good luck.

Jump to this post

Hi!I cope with anxiety,depress.&fibromyalgia.Also,we're moving an hr.away next week so that's stressful.So,anxious 2 get settled again.Hopefully,my Marriage'll improve&it won't take me that long 2 adjust 2 a new area.Thx!

Although I was not on the medicines you noted. my condition may have been similar. With epilepsy and migraine headaches, my ex wife divorced me after 22 1/2 years of marriage and three children. I tried everything like mediation, etc., she would have none of that. Consequently, in 1985 I lost contact with all of them and they wouldn't communicate with me. Looking into anxiety control for epilepsy trigger control, I studied and learned how to change course at times anxiety or depression would arise. I learned how to play some card games for fun, cribbage and 500. Basically, it was the friendship of others I sought and in doing that (playing the game) "took my mind off of my anxiety. OK. Once I did that and saw it worked. I then turned to watching a TV movie or CD movie from the library; taking a walk; communicating with others. That showed me "that as long as I was able to find things I liked or enjoyed and change my minds course (trend of thought)--I didn't need such medicines to control my anxiety, because I learned how to do it. At this stage of my life, with cancer; the only thing I can't control is pain--for which I have prescribed medicine. The anxiety from the past hurt, etc. I have full control over and no problem with. Try music also, it's an excellent way to relax, lose worries and sometimes obtain what medicines are sometimes prescribed for.

Good luck.

irvkay312

I appreciate your reply.We all need different approaches.Sorry,you've cancer.Praying 4 your healing.Also,I cope with chronic pain 2.Challenging!I've tried music;helps somewhat.Thx!

I have found that Klonopin is released slowly in the body and last much longer than Xanax

@tigersam1

I have found that Klonopin is released slowly in the body and last much longer than Xanax

Jump to this post

I'll have 2 make note of that 1.Haven't heard of it.But,thx!Sounds like a good 1.

@tigersam1

Jump to this post

You are welcome, and I hope it helps.

@callalily74

Hi 911489348. I'm so sorry about what your husband did. Zoloft (which I take) is for depression and you should probably stay on it, because I'm not sure whether your mental health will plummet if you taper off. I also take ativan or valium, both of which are for anxiety. I also take other drugs and know I'd be in a desperate condition without them. If you see a therapist, and talk about what your husband did, that might help you process it eventually and you won't need meds anymore. But something like what your husband did can Probably leave negative effects for a long time. Good luck.

Jump to this post

Are any of you that are wanting to taper medication being seen by a psychiatrist? The Dr. should set up a titrating schedule for you. Zoloft, depending upon the dosage, can be used for anxiety and or depression. Someone asked earlier about klonazepam. It is also a benzodiazepine but I think it is slower acting and stays in your system longer than Ativan. I am on Klonazepam for anxiety 3 times per day and it works well for me. I did a "cold turkey" off an antidepressant and Ativan at one point in my long struggle with depression and coming off of either without tapering is awful and could be dangerous. It shouldn't take months to get off a benzodiazepine if tapered correctly and you have counseling followup. The key here is to have a physician work with you on all aspects of taking anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication.

@callalily74

Jump to this post

Right now,I'm not seeing a psychiatrist.But,that's a good idea.I take Effexor.Is that the same as Zoloft?Oh.Slower acting.but,sstays in system longer.I bet. True.

@callalily74

Jump to this post

You must see a Psychiatrist who can prescribe Effexor or Zoloft or Klonopin. Efexor and Zoloft are 2 entirely different anti depressants. I suggest you get an appointment now with a Psychiatrist. Good luck

I would seek information, if even from a pharmacist or doctor before you sought to cut any medicine you have been on for a depressive or anxiety purpose. You have to recognize that your bodies system changes as we get older, so your dosage also changes. Something else with some medications is "if you seek to cut them back too fast, it may harm your body system operations." That is why it's often best to have an experienced person like a doctor follow your pursuit in lessening your medications.

irvkay312

Please sign in or register to post a reply.