365 days later after surgery to remove esophageal cancer at Mayo

Posted by johnstawicki @johnstawicki, Sep 2, 2023

Word of thanks , thanks to Dr. Wigal and his team a year ago today , I had my Esophagus removed stage 3 cancer . It’s been a bumpy road for me as I like to eat and it was a struggle getting used to the NEW ME ..after about 6 months , I was told I had Ulcerative Colitis and was prescribed meds for that , (so far its under control ), after losing 70 pounds im finally gaining some weight back , went from 255 before surgery to 175 after ,now at 190 . Hopefully Im on the right track now feeling good and blessed . Id like to thank the people that helped me at ST Marys , Greg , Brice, Avery , Dr Wigal's team God Bless and KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO ….. SAVING LIFES ….. John

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Esophageal Cancer Support Group.

@johnstawicki

Sorry someone said its terminal …. Id keep looking …. I know myself had 3 opinions and finally believed i needed surgery I had the exact same cancer had surgery a year ago …. It was and is a HUGE LEARNING CURVE at 66 learning to eat and drink all over and what I can tolerate and what to stay far away from , One day at a time … your mind will play tricks on you your husband too talk and think things out it takes team work …..my wife has been there whenever I needed her love you baby girl …

Jump to this post

Thanks johnstawicki,
I’m so sorry for all you’ve been through and I’m so happy to hear you’ve had your wife’s steadfast support. That, despite all else, is a beautiful story.

Unfortunately, by the time the diagnosis came, it was Stage 4, it had spread. The surgeon said surgery wasn’t an option.

Chemo started today. Only learned the prognosis 4 days ago. Read about the side effects tonight.

“This is not the end, it’s just a chapter in the story.
Joy is on the way.”
~Laura Souguellis’ lyric

@mrgvw

Where are you on your journey?

What stage are you?

Where is your treatment being done?

I have definite thoughts on this... not a fan of stents in general, although I can think of instances where they do have their uses (but very few). If you are in this for the long haul... and you are eligible for the J tube surgery, then this is the way to go. It is simply a tool to help you on your EC journey... they take it out of you in about 30 seconds, in a doctor's office, when it is no longer needed. I had mine for 8 months, 4 before my esophagectomy, and 4 after.

You wanna chat all things J tube, swallowing, stretches, stents, etc... just private message me. Be well...

Gary

Jump to this post

I had a J tube for a few months following Stage 4 Esophageal Cancer surgery. The last few months were spent in nursing facilities which I found to not be very good for patients. Of the 4 places I was in, 95% of the nurses caring for patients didn't know the difference between a "J" tube and a "G" tube. Consequently, they thought nothing of crushing my meds and running them thru my J tube which clogged it up like cement. The G tube is larger & goes into the stomach & the smaller J tube goes into the intestine. Unclogging rarely worked and twice I had to go to ER to have the damaged tube removed and replaced with a new one. One nurse tried pouring hot water from the coffee maker into the tube which then exploded and the extremely hot water seriously burned my abdomen. I was so glad to get the tube removed after I finally returned home after 7 mo. of confinement.

@justtrust

Thanks johnstawicki,
I’m so sorry for all you’ve been through and I’m so happy to hear you’ve had your wife’s steadfast support. That, despite all else, is a beautiful story.

Unfortunately, by the time the diagnosis came, it was Stage 4, it had spread. The surgeon said surgery wasn’t an option.

Chemo started today. Only learned the prognosis 4 days ago. Read about the side effects tonight.

“This is not the end, it’s just a chapter in the story.
Joy is on the way.”
~Laura Souguellis’ lyric

Jump to this post

ABSOLUTELY.

@bea4me

I had a J tube for a few months following Stage 4 Esophageal Cancer surgery. The last few months were spent in nursing facilities which I found to not be very good for patients. Of the 4 places I was in, 95% of the nurses caring for patients didn't know the difference between a "J" tube and a "G" tube. Consequently, they thought nothing of crushing my meds and running them thru my J tube which clogged it up like cement. The G tube is larger & goes into the stomach & the smaller J tube goes into the intestine. Unclogging rarely worked and twice I had to go to ER to have the damaged tube removed and replaced with a new one. One nurse tried pouring hot water from the coffee maker into the tube which then exploded and the extremely hot water seriously burned my abdomen. I was so glad to get the tube removed after I finally returned home after 7 mo. of confinement.

Jump to this post

Holy cow... you've gotta be shttin' me! That's some crazy story. Horrific care.

So, I've forgotten... are you the one with the stent being installed?

johnstawicki, I also had Dr. Dennis Wigle and his awesome team at St. Mary's do my esophagectomy!!!! April 2020. 2 weeks as a guest at the hospital (I encountered infection in one of my drainage ports after removal).

HOW HAVE YOU BEEN DOING SINCE .

@l1krieger

I was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer 3weeks ago. I had Acid reflux disease as far as I can remember. As a child m my 3 sisters and I would get up at night and meet my Dad to us the Maalox and Milk of Magnesia. My acid was coming up my throat and nose. It was a way of life. As an athlete, I would do really well until the final push, then black out due to the acid reflux. Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s it was called indigestion. I slept upright in a chair until Pepcid AC came out. That and all those other inhibiters allowed me to get more than 4 hours of sleep. Now, I under stand that those Acid Reflux pills just masked the problem and that the acid still caused damage.
I've had lesions for over 40 years. So when the doctor did a colonoscopy and an endo-scope he found lesions. I told him I've had them for a long time. Then he called me back and told me to see a Gastroenterologist. That's when the discovered he 1" tumor in my upper esophagus. I'm taking Chemo and Radiation then Surgery and Immunol therapy. My Kaiser permanente Senior advantage Medicare only covers this type of treatment. After all of the positive things I've read here, maybe I should do something else. I read yesterday that someone took strong medicine, no chemo, no radiation and no surgery and is cancer free for now.! Several have had no surgery. Surgery is very concerning, but survivable. I'm a European Dietetic Chef so diets don't scare me. In the 70s and 80s I had dietitians and nutritionist working with me in the kitchen. We mad blendorized and pureed foods for our patients. Great tasting food. We also made clear liquid diet required food that tasted great, In the States they seem to tout the liquid proteins like Ensure, and the like, and also fluids through a port in you arm. What happened to real foods? Please give me your take and support. Thanks

Jump to this post

@l1krieger, hearing that you have cancer sends you reeling. Despite that emotional rollercoaster and the stress of that news, you are forced to learn a whole new language, move in an alien world of medicine, doctors, tests and hospitals. Not to mention sharing the news with people who you want to tell and sometimes having to comfort them and manage family communications. It's a lot and you and your wife have had little time to adjust.

I'm glad that you've come here to ask questions to help make sense of things or even to figure out what questions you can and should be asking your cancer care team.

Chemo, radiation followed by surgery and immunotherapy is a very common course of treatment for esophageal cancer as @zzonner and others can share. You can read more on Mayo Clinic's website
- Esophageal Cancer treatments https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/esophageal-cancer/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20356090

For some people, like @dsh33782 and @justtrust, surgery is not necessary or not an option. But chemo, radiation and immunotherapy are still options.

I'm concerned about your statement that someone said they took "strong medicine", no further treatment and they are cancer-free now. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't true - although I wish it were. Always research what you read and make sure that it is evidence-based from a trusty medical source like Mayo Clinic.

Yes, esophageal cancer treatment is tough, but as you can read from the stories like that of @johnstawicki @dsh33782 @aheid @mrgvw @lori57216 and many others here, there is hope and healing.

Like @aheid said, I think that many members in this group would appreciate your recipes and tips for blender and pureed foods. As you experiment, I encourage you to start and new discussion where you and others could share recipes and tips for eating while on treatment and after treatment.

How are you doing today? How's treatment going?

@l1krieger

I was diagnosed with Esophageal Cancer 3weeks ago. I had Acid reflux disease as far as I can remember. As a child m my 3 sisters and I would get up at night and meet my Dad to us the Maalox and Milk of Magnesia. My acid was coming up my throat and nose. It was a way of life. As an athlete, I would do really well until the final push, then black out due to the acid reflux. Back in the 50s, 60s and 70s it was called indigestion. I slept upright in a chair until Pepcid AC came out. That and all those other inhibiters allowed me to get more than 4 hours of sleep. Now, I under stand that those Acid Reflux pills just masked the problem and that the acid still caused damage.
I've had lesions for over 40 years. So when the doctor did a colonoscopy and an endo-scope he found lesions. I told him I've had them for a long time. Then he called me back and told me to see a Gastroenterologist. That's when the discovered he 1" tumor in my upper esophagus. I'm taking Chemo and Radiation then Surgery and Immunol therapy. My Kaiser permanente Senior advantage Medicare only covers this type of treatment. After all of the positive things I've read here, maybe I should do something else. I read yesterday that someone took strong medicine, no chemo, no radiation and no surgery and is cancer free for now.! Several have had no surgery. Surgery is very concerning, but survivable. I'm a European Dietetic Chef so diets don't scare me. In the 70s and 80s I had dietitians and nutritionist working with me in the kitchen. We mad blendorized and pureed foods for our patients. Great tasting food. We also made clear liquid diet required food that tasted great, In the States they seem to tout the liquid proteins like Ensure, and the like, and also fluids through a port in you arm. What happened to real foods? Please give me your take and support. Thanks

Jump to this post

All I eat is real food , those protein drinks are way to sweet for me and give me dumping syndrome ….I found a protein water I like protein20 …

Please sign in or register to post a reply.