365 days later after surgery to remove esophageal cancer at Mayo

Posted by johnstawicki @johnstawicki, Sep 2, 2023

Word of thanks , thanks to Dr. Wigal and his team a year ago today , I had my Esophagus removed stage 3 cancer . It’s been a bumpy road for me as I like to eat and it was a struggle getting used to the NEW ME ..after about 6 months , I was told I had Ulcerative Colitis and was prescribed meds for that , (so far its under control ), after losing 70 pounds im finally gaining some weight back , went from 255 before surgery to 175 after ,now at 190 . Hopefully Im on the right track now feeling good and blessed . Id like to thank the people that helped me at ST Marys , Greg , Brice, Avery , Dr Wigal's team God Bless and KEEP DOING WHAT YOU DO ….. SAVING LIFES ….. John

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Esophageal Cancer Support Group.

@l1krieger

How do I know if I need a stent or ‘J’ tube? I don’t know what that is.
Great support site. thank you. Very helpful for a new guy with EC.

Jump to this post

Where are you on your journey?

What stage are you?

Where is your treatment being done?

I have definite thoughts on this... not a fan of stents in general, although I can think of instances where they do have their uses (but very few). If you are in this for the long haul... and you are eligible for the J tube surgery, then this is the way to go. It is simply a tool to help you on your EC journey... they take it out of you in about 30 seconds, in a doctor's office, when it is no longer needed. I had mine for 8 months, 4 before my esophagectomy, and 4 after.

You wanna chat all things J tube, swallowing, stretches, stents, etc... just private message me. Be well...

Gary

@l1krieger

How do I know if I need a stent or ‘J’ tube? I don’t know what that is.
Great support site. thank you. Very helpful for a new guy with EC.

Jump to this post

A j-tube is a feeding tube that delivers a formula for nutrition from the outside into the jejunum portion of the small intestines. It by-passes the stomach so at least if you are having stomach issues, such as vomiting, you will still get nourishment

Thanks for the re[ply 'aheid'. I need all the support I can get. I'm 68 years young, athletic, still work full time. This is quite the setback!

I just started my 2nd week of Chemo and Radiation. After the initial shock of having a 1 inch cancerous tumor in my esophagus and then met with the surgeon to hear all the negative possibilities from hell. My spouse is in total depression.
Is the surgery worth it? What are the chances of something going wrong and ending up in a nursing home with a feeding tube, staring out the window?

They mentioned a 'J' tube in the surgery documentation to be used after surgery, while things are healing

Thank you, need to go to radiation.

Larry Krieger

@l1krieger

Good job, hope all continues to go well with you.

I'm in my second week of Chemo/radiation. Recovering from the shock of everything. My spouse is going crazy after meeting with the surgeon, all bad news. Worst case scenario, of course. That's what Docs do.

Maybe I can pray this tumor away. It has not spread, it is still local in my midlevel-esophagus wall T3-T4. I've read many successful stories here, what happened to the rest of he EC folks. Are they in a nursing home, drooling, looking out the window on a nutrition tube? Not trying to be mean, sorry. What percent actually make it through the whole procedure?

Thanks for your support

Larry Krieger

Jump to this post

Larry
I remember going through the 28 days of chemo and radiation with numerous side affects. I was always tired, no appetite (was on feeding tube for several months), for a while I was coughing and spitting up a lot, and some diaherra. It took about 6 weeks after it was all done before I really felt good and could eat and swallow normally again. Regarding you question about survival rates, it appears that esophageal cancer is rare (less than 1% of all cancers) and those who are diagnosed and treated early have an average survival rate of 80% beyond 5 years. The fact that you are being treated is a good sign so try and be positive. I'd be happy to try and answer questions you may have based on my experience. Let us know how it is going?

Thank you for your response,

surgery? After 2 weeks of Chemo and radiation, I feel normal. Everyone says 'it will change'. I hope I keep my open mind and continue eating and exercising. So far the only change is being around the house doing various things, instead of being at work.

I have plenty to do. Compiling all of the Cancer information is a huge chore. I need a full time secretary!

Keep in touch

Thank you

Larry Krieger

4 1/2 months after the esophagectomy and I'm at about 90% of "normal." I still get tired more easily than pre-surgery, can swallow well but have a lot of mild issues with burbing a lot after drinking and brutal bouts of "dumping syndrome" a couple times a week if I eat too much or too quickly. Still very gradually losing weight but I was a tubby bastard pre-cancer so I'm glad to be down a few jean sizes as long as I stop there. My doctor was very brutal about the expectations of the surgery, didn't sugar coat it at all and if anything he undersold it a bit but it is worth it given the alternative.

@l1krieger

Good job, hope all continues to go well with you.

I'm in my second week of Chemo/radiation. Recovering from the shock of everything. My spouse is going crazy after meeting with the surgeon, all bad news. Worst case scenario, of course. That's what Docs do.

Maybe I can pray this tumor away. It has not spread, it is still local in my midlevel-esophagus wall T3-T4. I've read many successful stories here, what happened to the rest of he EC folks. Are they in a nursing home, drooling, looking out the window on a nutrition tube? Not trying to be mean, sorry. What percent actually make it through the whole procedure?

Thanks for your support

Larry Krieger

Jump to this post

I feel for your spouse—and for you.
After so much waiting & even errors, 2 days ago we were told my husband’s esophagus-stomach-juncture tumour/ cancer is incurable, terminal.
The very next day they admitted him to begin chemo which they say will be ongoing on a 2 week cycle.

How do I get honest about this with my 11 year old and 6 year old? That, and managing the chemo & immunotherapy—those are the next hurdles.

I’m frustrated with God and confused. But I know only Jesus will get us through this, whether he changes the outcomes or not.

@l1krieger

I have been diagnosed with stage 4-4 esophageal cancer 3 weeks ago. It is still local, has not spread
I just underwent my first week of Chemo and Radiation. I'm really scared to have surgery. Don't like the thought of having a drip in my arm for awhile.
Are you cancer free or on remission?
I can handle changing my eating habits.

Jump to this post

Who are you asking …

@dkoehne

4 1/2 months after the esophagectomy and I'm at about 90% of "normal." I still get tired more easily than pre-surgery, can swallow well but have a lot of mild issues with burbing a lot after drinking and brutal bouts of "dumping syndrome" a couple times a week if I eat too much or too quickly. Still very gradually losing weight but I was a tubby bastard pre-cancer so I'm glad to be down a few jean sizes as long as I stop there. My doctor was very brutal about the expectations of the surgery, didn't sugar coat it at all and if anything he undersold it a bit but it is worth it given the alternative.

Jump to this post

Watch the dumping syndrome , I had a battle myself which took a good nurse practitioner to research and find I developed. Ulcerative colitis ,which im now taking meds for to control the DS .

@justtrust

I feel for your spouse—and for you.
After so much waiting & even errors, 2 days ago we were told my husband’s esophagus-stomach-juncture tumour/ cancer is incurable, terminal.
The very next day they admitted him to begin chemo which they say will be ongoing on a 2 week cycle.

How do I get honest about this with my 11 year old and 6 year old? That, and managing the chemo & immunotherapy—those are the next hurdles.

I’m frustrated with God and confused. But I know only Jesus will get us through this, whether he changes the outcomes or not.

Jump to this post

Sorry someone said its terminal …. Id keep looking …. I know myself had 3 opinions and finally believed i needed surgery I had the exact same cancer had surgery a year ago …. It was and is a HUGE LEARNING CURVE at 66 learning to eat and drink all over and what I can tolerate and what to stay far away from , One day at a time … your mind will play tricks on you your husband too talk and think things out it takes team work …..my wife has been there whenever I needed her love you baby girl …

Please sign in or register to post a reply.