2023 flu shot, COVID booster and neuropathy

Posted by robindancer5678 @robindancer5678, Nov 3, 2023

Has anyone had an increase of symptoms after having this year's flu shot or COVID booster? I'm still trying to figure out causes of my small fiber polyneuropathy. My symptoms started February 2023 and I was finally diagnosed in June 2023. I question - was it/is it related to vaccines? Which makes me reluctant to have more vaccines. For me this isn't political or paranoia, it's just me wanting to figure this "idiopathic" thing out. I had COVID October 2021, then in 2022 I had 2 COVID boosters (Pfizer), 2 Shingrix shots and a flu shot followed by 2023 two COVID boosters (Moderna) - and voila! Idiopathic small fiber polyneuropathy. I did decide to have the flu shot and seem to have done okay after it. But I'm just not sure about another COVID booster.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@pablomm

At 61 I will never take a Covid shot again after at least three Moderna shots. Post colon cancer treatment neuropathy slowly got worse (9 years now) for me in legs and hands. After Covid shots neuropathy reached (up) to the base of my knees and now is above my knees. I remember the negative effect occurring within 3 days of the Moderna shot on 2 occasions. I try and walk 7-8k steps a day and try and lift weights. I also started taking PQQ supplement and feel it is helping me cognitively and seem to have relieved maybe 15% of my PN. I was excited just to arrest the progression of PN. Keep moving !!!

Jump to this post

Got PN one week after 2nd Moderna COVID booster. Am going to get my B12 levels check to see if that may contribute. I am on Duloxetine which controls it for me, but gives some lovely side effects like a little brain fog.

@dmoreci

Got PN one week after 2nd Moderna COVID booster. Am going to get my B12 levels check to see if that may contribute. I am on Duloxetine which controls it for me, but gives some lovely side effects like a little brain fog.

Jump to this post

Try PQQ on an empty stomach every morning

@harryl

I’ve had shingles, flu, RSV and another COVID booster since August. I’m 70. They have had zero effect on my neuropathy and I didn’t have any vaccination reactions other than slight fatigue. Everyone has different side effects. I do feel terrible for those with adverse events.

Jump to this post

What type of shot did you have?

@pablomm

What type of shot did you have?

Jump to this post

Last COVID was Moderna.

I had Pfizer, Pfizer, Moderna, Moderna

I get a flu shot every year and haven’t had a problem. However, I’ve avoided the covid shots and the shingles shot as nerve issues can arise.

I am not going to take another COVID booster after learning from someone in the support group it caused their SFN. I have taken 3 COVID shots in the past; the first two were ok, but the 3rd one made me very sick; even my hands ached. I do take the flu shot every year and it doesn't seem to bother me. I did have COVID in 12/22 and I survived it with some medication from my PCP. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I had SFN before the COVID pandemic.

Hi, I have polyneuropathy and small fibre neuropathy for about nine years. This was due to vitamin deficiencies. During these years I managed to recover very well with a good diet and I was only on 30mg Duloxetine.

After having taken the first shot and second and third boosters I increased the dose to 60mg due to a brief discontinuation of the medication in the same period (believing I was healed) so I had to start again. Strangely enough going back to 30mg after a couple of months didn't work so I went back to 60mg. After that came the 3rd booster. I did not notice anything changes in my condition (pain) possibly due to the pain medication covering it up. A year after the 3rd booster, all flared up, I got lots of pain and had to increase the medication with 400mg Pregabalin. Still it isn't enough and my condition is worsening. I think I am now dealing with a progressive condition. My life has finished.

I am trying to get some blood tests from the doctor to see whether the jabs are responsible. Any idea what sorts of tests will need to be done? I have read about antibody tests but would be happy to hear if anyone has undergone such a process already.

Thanks Jo

@joemb

Hi, I have polyneuropathy and small fibre neuropathy for about nine years. This was due to vitamin deficiencies. During these years I managed to recover very well with a good diet and I was only on 30mg Duloxetine.

After having taken the first shot and second and third boosters I increased the dose to 60mg due to a brief discontinuation of the medication in the same period (believing I was healed) so I had to start again. Strangely enough going back to 30mg after a couple of months didn't work so I went back to 60mg. After that came the 3rd booster. I did not notice anything changes in my condition (pain) possibly due to the pain medication covering it up. A year after the 3rd booster, all flared up, I got lots of pain and had to increase the medication with 400mg Pregabalin. Still it isn't enough and my condition is worsening. I think I am now dealing with a progressive condition. My life has finished.

I am trying to get some blood tests from the doctor to see whether the jabs are responsible. Any idea what sorts of tests will need to be done? I have read about antibody tests but would be happy to hear if anyone has undergone such a process already.

Thanks Jo

Jump to this post

Hello @joemb. I moved your discussion and combined it with an existing discussion titled, "2023 flu shot, COVID booster and neuropathy" - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/2023-flu-shot-covid-booster-and-neuropathy so you could meet the other members talking about this as well.

@joemb

Thanks Jo

Jump to this post

Same thing happened with my Trigeminal and occipital neuralgias and vaccines. I’m so sorry you had this happen. So far I’ve found no one willing to admit this is real and no way to check to see what damage was done. I have written to CDC,NIH. Nothing. I asked my neurologist why he hadn’t warned me about these shots and neuropathies. His answer was “ you should have known this”. My guess is Pfizer has everyone by their little balls. Excuse my language. Please share if you find help. I’m still trying. Good luck to you.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.