2023 flu shot, COVID booster and neuropathy

Posted by robindancer5678 @robindancer5678, Nov 3, 2023

Has anyone had an increase of symptoms after having this year's flu shot or COVID booster? I'm still trying to figure out causes of my small fiber polyneuropathy. My symptoms started February 2023 and I was finally diagnosed in June 2023. I question - was it/is it related to vaccines? Which makes me reluctant to have more vaccines. For me this isn't political or paranoia, it's just me wanting to figure this "idiopathic" thing out. I had COVID October 2021, then in 2022 I had 2 COVID boosters (Pfizer), 2 Shingrix shots and a flu shot followed by 2023 two COVID boosters (Moderna) - and voila! Idiopathic small fiber polyneuropathy. I did decide to have the flu shot and seem to have done okay after it. But I'm just not sure about another COVID booster.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@robindancer5678, you may be interested in this related discussion:
- COVID vaccines and neuropathy: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/covid-vaccines-and-neuropathy/

It is frustrating to not know the cause of neuropathy in many cases. As you are aware, idiopathic means no known cause. Idiopathic neuropathy has existed long before vaccines, so you may never know the cause unfortunately. However, I understand your hesitancy to get the new 2023 COVID vaccine for fear of making things worse.

This would be a good discussion to have with your doctor and/or neurologist. They can talk about the potential risk factors for you specifically based on your medical history.

@colleenyoung

@robindancer5678, you may be interested in this related discussion:
- COVID vaccines and neuropathy: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/covid-vaccines-and-neuropathy/

It is frustrating to not know the cause of neuropathy in many cases. As you are aware, idiopathic means no known cause. Idiopathic neuropathy has existed long before vaccines, so you may never know the cause unfortunately. However, I understand your hesitancy to get the new 2023 COVID vaccine for fear of making things worse.

This would be a good discussion to have with your doctor and/or neurologist. They can talk about the potential risk factors for you specifically based on your medical history.

Jump to this post

Good advice! Always appropriate to involve your team.
Anecdotally, I have had the 2023 booster with no worsening of neuropathy.

I have received all five COVID vaccines and boosters (including the 2023 vaccine) and a high-dose flu vaccine each and every year.
None of them had ANY effect on my neuropathy of my right leg, foot and ankle (sciatica, nerve pain and dropped foot). All of them are consequences of my long history of spine diseases and a botched spinal fusion surgery in 2022.

At 61 I will never take a Covid shot again after at least three Moderna shots. Post colon cancer treatment neuropathy slowly got worse (9 years now) for me in legs and hands. After Covid shots neuropathy reached (up) to the base of my knees and now is above my knees. I remember the negative effect occurring within 3 days of the Moderna shot on 2 occasions. I try and walk 7-8k steps a day and try and lift weights. I also started taking PQQ supplement and feel it is helping me cognitively and seem to have relieved maybe 15% of my PN. I was excited just to arrest the progression of PN. Keep moving !!!

A year and a half ago I developed symptoms which was later diagnosed as SFN. This is affecting most of my body (not just arms and legs). After seeing 2 neurologists and a handful of other doctors with no relief, a chiropractor I went to see was hell bent that this was an effect from getting the covid shot/booster. Nothing else I tried worked so I went through with his treatment plan. He said this was a result of the "spike protein" in my system. I took a couple different recommended and pricey supplements to eliminate the "spike proteins" along with cold laser and adjustments but nothing worked. So I too am hesitant about getting a booster vax even though I'm not fully agreeing with his assessment. Hope this helps. Does anybody know if there is a test to find out about the "spike protein" levels in your body?

I got Peripheral Neuropathy soon after getting the second COVID booster. I am not diabetic. My doctor tested me for everything under the sun before agreeing that it looks like the COVID booster caused it. I am scared to get another.

My neuropathy symptoms started two days after I received the Shingrix vaccine. No way to prove that caused it but nothing else is an obvious suspect.

I also take the flu shot. I have asthma and get bronchitis along with pneumonia really easy. In fact growing up it was so bad I hadIVIG therapy until age 18. Bottom line this is the first time I have had problems. Mind you they gave me the flu, rss, and pneumonia all at once. I was in severe pain for two weeks. My pain meds were not working. The doctors ended up giving me a shot of tornados to help with the neuropathy pain.

My burning pain in my legs when I awake in the morning eases as soon as I get up.It was bad the last couple of days after flu and COVID shots.The rest of the day I can live with tingling on feet hands and lips

I’ve had shingles, flu, RSV and another COVID booster since August. I’m 70. They have had zero effect on my neuropathy and I didn’t have any vaccination reactions other than slight fatigue. Everyone has different side effects. I do feel terrible for those with adverse events.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.