Hi! My daughter is a Sophomore in College and was experiencing increasing severe migraines. Late June an MRI showed that she had a tumor in her right thalamus that was blocking one of her ventricles and caused a build up of cerebral fluid in her brain (hydrocephalus). 3 of her 4 ventricles were enlarged (4 times the normal size for her age). In July she had Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy to relieve the pressure. A catheter was inserted in her brain to create an alternate port for the fluid to circulate. This has helped significantly to relieve her of the migraines. Now she has a headache about once a week and they aren’t more than a 3 on a scale of 1-10 in severity. A follow-up MRI showed that the pressure was being reduced and her ventricles were shrinking some. Our local neurosurgeon shared that the next steps would be to biopsy the tumor although it seems benign since it is slow growing from MRI to MRI not much has changed. The next step would then be to remove the tumor. I got a 2nd opinion from a neurosurgeon at Duke and he agreed that we should biopsy the tumor first but said he would not remove it given that it is in the most inner part and center of her brain.
My daughter wants to complete the semester at school so both agreed we could wait until her Winter break and we want to honor that but not at the expense of her getting worse.
Last week, my daughter shared that she has been experiencing numbness. Her entire face has been going numb about 3 times a day and lasts for 30-60 sec each occurrence. She also has been experiencing where her right hand or foot goes numb. These are all new symptoms for her. Last Sat she came home and we repeated the MRI to see if the tumor moved or grew and it has not. The local neurosurgeon has asked us to continue to monitor the numbness and if it worsens or if she develops other symptoms, to call back in as we may need to accelerate the biopsy and the removal.
We are concerned and wondering if we should move forward more quickly with the biopsy and if anyone has had a tumor removed from the right thalamus?
We also are considering a 3rd opinion since both neurosurgeons has such different ideas about how we would ultimately handle the tumor all while not yet knowing the type of tumor via the biopsy.
We could use some advice.
Liked by carroyo