100% ER+ 100% PR+ HERS2- How common is the 100% diagnosis?

Posted by janisbrede @janisbrede, May 2, 2023

When I went to Mayo for a second opinion they saw my initial diagnosis of 100%ER+ 100%PR+ and said that would probably change when they did their evaluation but it came back 100% ER and PR+ as well. Does this mean I am extremely sensitive to hormones? Anyone else 100%...seems drastic to me, not in a good way. I'm worried I should be a little more cautious with what I put in body to try to reduce hormones although I am on Tamoxifen to block hormone receptors. I just don't fully grasp how this is all connected.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

I had 2 tumors right next to each other. The 1st was Er + 100% and PR+ 95%
Ki67 was 5% Her2 negative....the other was triple positive but not sure of the numbers for that one yet. They were both stage 1. I am 47 and premenopausal. 1 week out of single mastectomy. I chose mastectomy to hopefully skip radiation since tumor was above my heart and full lung. (Had stage 1 adenocarcinoma of the lung removed 7 years ago) I have started limiting my intake of certain foods...I just did a Google search for foods to avoid for estrogen/progesterone positive breast cancer...Good Luck to all!

@salamander

I am same diagnosis. March 2023. I am perimenopausal amd startimf tamoxifen soon. So scared!

Jump to this post

Mine was similar, with both hormones 90% positive, although I gad only stopped taking hormones on October, when my December biopsy showed these results.

The adrenal glands still produce estrogen regardless of what we eat.

It is important to note that the ER and PR percentages do not refer to what is in our body but instead to the degree the cancer responds to those hormones.

Aromatase inhibitors reduce estradiol below detectable levels. I would doubt that any dietary changes can achieve that, but it can't hurt. I have resumed soy because I read positive things about it after prior reading that it was estrogenic.

Many of us have enough health challenges without dietary restrictions! But if no harm. maybe there is some small benefit.

@windyshores

The adrenal glands still produce estrogen regardless of what we eat.

It is important to note that the ER and PR percentages do not refer to what is in our body but instead to the degree the cancer responds to those hormones.

Aromatase inhibitors reduce estradiol below detectable levels. I would doubt that any dietary changes can achieve that, but it can't hurt. I have resumed soy because I read positive things about it after prior reading that it was estrogenic.

Many of us have enough health challenges without dietary restrictions! But if no harm. maybe there is some small benefit.

Jump to this post

Thank you for pointing out this common misconception, about the percentages. It is a very important distinction.
Also most women as long as they have ovaries will produce estrogen in them even after menopause they continue to produce some level of estrogen.
@salamander may I ask what specifically scares you about tamoxifen?

I know I go down a rabbit hole alot with side effects but estrogen is a very helpful hormone for many reasons and suppressing it has consequences. 😢👩‍⚕️
Did you have to take it?

@dyevooshka

Mine was similar, with both hormones 90% positive, although I gad only stopped taking hormones on October, when my December biopsy showed these results.

Jump to this post

I didnt understand your reply…you stopped taking hormones? Can you clarify?

I was postmenopausal and at 64, had been taking medroxyprogesterone and estradiol for 10 years. We decided it was time to taper off and stop, so I gradually decreased the dose and stopped at the end of October. My breast cancer was found in December.

@tonna

I had 2 tumors right next to each other. The 1st was Er + 100% and PR+ 95%
Ki67 was 5% Her2 negative....the other was triple positive but not sure of the numbers for that one yet. They were both stage 1. I am 47 and premenopausal. 1 week out of single mastectomy. I chose mastectomy to hopefully skip radiation since tumor was above my heart and full lung. (Had stage 1 adenocarcinoma of the lung removed 7 years ago) I have started limiting my intake of certain foods...I just did a Google search for foods to avoid for estrogen/progesterone positive breast cancer...Good Luck to all!

Jump to this post

Will you take anti estrogen drug? I am thinkimg of just removing all estrogen disruptors and clean plant based eating and calling it a day.

@salamander

Will you take anti estrogen drug? I am thinkimg of just removing all estrogen disruptors and clean plant based eating and calling it a day.

Jump to this post

I believe they will start me on hormone blocker after chemo. I won't know for sure until middle of July what the next steps will be...

@salamander

Jump to this post

I have been taking Anastrozole ( Aromatase Inhibitor to block estrogen) since May 17 with no side effects.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.