Time to decide what treatment is best

Posted by ginger38314 @ginger38314, Sep 28 7:24pm

Recently diagnosed 2 cores 3+4 .8cm lesion but decipher came in high at .86, pet exam results were negative so I'm going to take a week to decide, sbrt would include 6 months adt any thoughts?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Prostate Cancer Support Group.

Profile picture for ireland1964 @ireland1964

@ginger38314 Hope he gave you % and margins based on images which is a big part of that decision (imo).
My first consult just said “he’ll do his best”
Retzius may be worth considering too if they feel a posterior approach works for your situation

Jump to this post

@ireland1964 the pet scan showed 0 spread outside of prostate original mri showed no spread on all three potential levels. Only a .8cm lesion in peripheral zone not touching the outer permiter.

REPLY
Profile picture for ginger38314 @ginger38314

@brianjarvis 2 cores 3+4 10% and 40% component .8cm lesion pet scan was negative and mri didn't show any invasion. The .86 decipher score is what worries me down the road even though now it shows it being contained so ralp seems better in my situation if there was reoccurance.

Jump to this post

@ginger38314
Hi, If it was me I would go with robotic surgery 1st then if needed in the future you still have some form of radiation as backup. The one incision procedure gets good reviews from folks. No need for nasty ADT with the surgery.
Dave 3+4

REPLY
Profile picture for clevelandguy @clevelandguy

@ginger38314
Hi, If it was me I would go with robotic surgery 1st then if needed in the future you still have some form of radiation as backup. The one incision procedure gets good reviews from folks. No need for nasty ADT with the surgery.
Dave 3+4

Jump to this post

I made my mind up yesterday evening and decided on surgery so they are
supposed to call me within a week to schedule ohsu where I'm getting the
procedure done is highly rated with nerve sparing surgery and like you said
no adt.

REPLY

On my 3+ 4 it was 10% component of 4 on both cores not 10 and 40% thanks.

REPLY
Profile picture for gfeaglefan @gfeaglefan

I assume your PET scan being negative means that the cancer has not spread outside of the capsular prostate? That was the case with my PC last year (3+4 Gleason, 2mm and 3 mm lesions at time of biopsy). I was 61 at the time. I chose robotic assisted laparoscopic proctectomy (RALP) last December. My margins were not clean of cancer and my pathology post surgery showed 4+3=7, Grade group 3 with 3 masses of cancer. My surgery was 6 months post biopsy. In my case, my cancer had progressed to the point if I had waited another 6 months, I may not have had as successful of surgery. My decision was to get rid of the cancer BEFORE it spreads. I have not had any long term issues post surgery (ED and incontinence). My PSA at 9 months post is .2 ng/ml and is rising so I am in discussions with my Urologist and surgeon. Salvage radiation my be in my future. At least I still have the option of radiation. If I had started with radiation and that did not remove all cancer, it would most likely be too late for surgery. If you haven't already, get a copy of Dr Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer. Good luck with your decision.

Jump to this post

@gfeaglefan Question, were you able to find out WHERE within the prostate your tumors were located? Close to Colon wall, mid section or other? Sometimes location dictates go or no go on surgery. My tumor was real close to the colon wall so the decision for RP was a no brainer.

REPLY
Profile picture for edutron @edutron

@gfeaglefan Question, were you able to find out WHERE within the prostate your tumors were located? Close to Colon wall, mid section or other? Sometimes location dictates go or no go on surgery. My tumor was real close to the colon wall so the decision for RP was a no brainer.

Jump to this post

I asked the surgeon that question and he said there was some visible space
between the two.

REPLY
Profile picture for edutron @edutron

@gfeaglefan Question, were you able to find out WHERE within the prostate your tumors were located? Close to Colon wall, mid section or other? Sometimes location dictates go or no go on surgery. My tumor was real close to the colon wall so the decision for RP was a no brainer.

Jump to this post

My main concern was the high decipher score if reoccurance would happen.

REPLY

A book "You can beat prostate cancer" by Marckini was
a good help for me. It gives you the questions to ask to make a decision.
I had proton therapy then 2 years
hormone and chem treatment for stage 4 prostate cancer.
A do over, I would have only done 1 year.

REPLY
Profile picture for ginger38314 @ginger38314

My main concern was the high decipher score if reoccurance would happen.

Jump to this post

@ginger38314
I imagine you are glad you made your decision to have surgery as your treatment. I don't know if you decided on ADT or not.
I had RALP and then BCR occurred. I had a higher decider score (.96) plus many high risk features. My RO was on the fence about adding ADT to the salvage radiation therapy. However, I was also in the luminal b subgroup, and the randomized trial NRG GU 006 showed the benefit of ADT was restricted to Luminal B patients, so we agreed on 6 months of ADT. Your doctor can get the Decipher test back up sheets and grid that will show your subgroup--you probably just got the summary sheet like I did.
(NOTE: subsequent to our decision, a PET scan showed lymph nodes involvement, so I ended up on the patch and Abiraterone/Prednisone, all three for a 2-year period. )

REPLY
Profile picture for bikeman1 @bikeman1

@ginger38314
I imagine you are glad you made your decision to have surgery as your treatment. I don't know if you decided on ADT or not.
I had RALP and then BCR occurred. I had a higher decider score (.96) plus many high risk features. My RO was on the fence about adding ADT to the salvage radiation therapy. However, I was also in the luminal b subgroup, and the randomized trial NRG GU 006 showed the benefit of ADT was restricted to Luminal B patients, so we agreed on 6 months of ADT. Your doctor can get the Decipher test back up sheets and grid that will show your subgroup--you probably just got the summary sheet like I did.
(NOTE: subsequent to our decision, a PET scan showed lymph nodes involvement, so I ended up on the patch and Abiraterone/Prednisone, all three for a 2-year period. )

Jump to this post

Hopefully There won't be any leftover cancer cells after surgery, My
biopsy didn't show any aggressive features just low volume 3+4, and mri and
pet scan showed were negative except for .8cm lesion my read out They gave
me for decipher was 2.7% metastasis 5 year, 6.5% metastasis 10 year, 15
year mortality 12.2% and adverse pathology 40%. At this point I have no
desire to look at grid report. For now the urologist says my cancer is very
low volume and should have a good chance of a good outcome, thanks for
responding.

REPLY
Please sign in or register to post a reply.