Mayo Clinic offers numerous humanities resources for patients, visitors, and staff.
Sample Readings on Humanities in Medicine
- Humanitas: Readings in the Development of the Medical Humanities, ed. Brian Dolan. (2015) San Francisco: University of California Medical Humanities Press
- Health Humanities Reader, eds. Therese Jones, Delese Wear, Lester Friedman. (2014) New Brunswick and London: Rutgers University Press
- Narrative Medicine: Honoring the Stories of Illness, by Rita Charon. (2008) Oxford: Oxford University Press
- Health Humanities, by P. Crawford, B. Brown, C. Baker, V. Tischler, and B. Abrams. (2015). London: Palgrave-Macmillan
- The Rise of the Medical Humanities, by Belinda Jack.
- What is Medical Humanities and Why? Commentary by Jack Coulehan, M.D., M.P.H., Professor Emeritus of Preventive Medicine and Fellow, Center for Medical Humanities and Bioethics, Stony Brook University, New York
- Why Should I Care about Medical Humanities? by Wellcome Trust
- Literature and Medicine: Contributions to Clinical Practice, by Rita Charon, MD; Joanne Trautmann Banks, PhD; Julia E. Connelly, MD; Anne Hunsaker Hawkins, PhD; Kathryn Montgomery Hunter, PhD; Anne Hudson Jones, PhD; Martha Montello, PhD; and Suzanne Poirer, PhD. Annals of Internal Practice 15 April 1995, Vol 122, No. 8.
- Literature and Medicine, an Evolving Canon, by Anne Hudson Jones
- More Pre-Med Students Opting for Health Humanities Programs, by Beth Howard
- The Almost Right Word: The Move From Medical to Health Humanities, by Therese Jones, PhD; Michael Blackie, PhD; Rebecca Garden, PhD; Delese Wear, PhD
- The Center for Medical Humanities
- Health Humanities Consortium
- Consortium for Humanities Centers and Institutes Health and Medical Humanities Network
- Journal of Medical Humanities
- BMJ Journals-Medical Humanities
- The Health Humanities Learning Lab at the University of Toronto, Scarborough
- Yale Journal for Humanities in Medicine
- International Health Humanities Network
- Literature, Arts, and Medicine Database
Support our Staff Coloring Page
Rochester Art at the Bedside artist Jenna Lee Whiting created coloring sheets for use by the Mayo Clinic community. Download them here.