With winter upon us and our houses sealed up to keep out the cold, we are reminded that the threat of radon gas exposure is real and that long-term exposure to radon gas can cause lung cancer. In fact, the National Cancer Institute sites radon as being the 2nd leading cause of lung cancer in the United States.
According to Mayo Clinic Q&A, Radon is created by the natural breakdown of uranium in soil, rock and water. Over time, it becomes part of the air you breathe. In areas prone to radon, the gas can build up within homes and other buildings. If you live in an area where radon is known to be a problem, it’s a good idea to have your home tested for it. If the level of radon is high, there are ways to bring it down to a safer range.
Unfortunately, you cannot see, taste, or smell radon gas and newly constructed homes are not necessarily at any lower risk than an established home. Many states offer free (or low cost) testing kits and per the EPA each home owner/renter should test their home. If you have already tested - GREAT; but make sure to have a conversation with your friends, your family and your neighbors because each home is different.
Send an email to invite people you know to join the Chest Surgery page.