Why my father can’t walk after a fall he had in December of 2022.

Posted by lmg1 @lmg1, Nov 14, 2023

My 91 yr old dad had a fall down a few steps. He had mri’s and everything checked. All was good. He was walking, driving and capable of everything up until this fall. Was in the veterans rehab hospital but we took him out and we are his caregivers now - he would not be alive now if we left him there. I saw an article here on FND and it sounds like that. He walks with a walker but needs assistance. He’s now walking less and seems to be deteriorating. He does not have dementia. I just wish I knew what could it be and I don’t want to hear that he’s old. Something happened that day and no dr knows. And mind you, he smoked at the age of 16 and once in the hospital he never asked for a cigarette and still doesn’t. It’s all just a mystery. Wish I knew where else to go to have him checked.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Brain & Nervous System Support Group.

Consider having another doctor read the MRIs. Also consider that there may have been a second event that may be your father doesn't know about either. Maybe a small stroke? Or maybe he did have another fall or similar than either not remember it or not talking about it.

Here are my best wishes that you are able to unravel the issues that your father is fighting. Thank him for a service!

I hit send too quick. That should be thank him for his service.

@elimseoj

I hit send too quick. That should be thank him for his service.

Jump to this post

Awww thank you so much. I should do that. I also tried to get another mri but my father kept moving and it didn’t work out. I appreciate your reply and thank you. I will tell my dad your kind thoughts. God Bless!

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=85&contentid=P00811
There are many tests for neurological disorders.
Your description of his fall and subsequent disability doesn't sound like FND. Maybe you could describe more. If he moved during the MRI it may have been muscular spasms that he has no control over. Does it seem as though he doesn't understand that he needs to lie still? I wouldn't stop with one attempt. But I would want a CT scan. What caused the fall? Is it possible he had a TIA ? Was the MRI of the entire spine with contrast.
I'm so glad you got him out of rehab. How long has it been that he's in and then out. Those places can be so disorienting.
What I'm reading is that he that his main trouble is the inability to walk. Do you think it is because of pain or failure of neurological response. Hairline fractures are often overlooked by excellent physicians on good MRIs. They just aren't visualized.
Be aggressive in this pursuit. Bless you for being there for him. We can never return to our parents as much as they have given to us. Give him my best wishes. It is the best luck to have good kids.

I have fallen too, but I am younger than your father, and I didn't have my walker near me. I did have some dizziness when I was going down the steps, with my walker, to get the mail, but I didn't fall. . My neighbors get my mail for me now. I don't go down the steps unless someone is with me. Your father may be fearful of falling again and that could be why he doesn't want to walk. He may also feel that if he used a walker that could make him look old, which he is.

@gently

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?contenttypeid=85&contentid=P00811
There are many tests for neurological disorders.
Your description of his fall and subsequent disability doesn't sound like FND. Maybe you could describe more. If he moved during the MRI it may have been muscular spasms that he has no control over. Does it seem as though he doesn't understand that he needs to lie still? I wouldn't stop with one attempt. But I would want a CT scan. What caused the fall? Is it possible he had a TIA ? Was the MRI of the entire spine with contrast.
I'm so glad you got him out of rehab. How long has it been that he's in and then out. Those places can be so disorienting.
What I'm reading is that he that his main trouble is the inability to walk. Do you think it is because of pain or failure of neurological response. Hairline fractures are often overlooked by excellent physicians on good MRIs. They just aren't visualized.
Be aggressive in this pursuit. Bless you for being there for him. We can never return to our parents as much as they have given to us. Give him my best wishes. It is the best luck to have good kids.

Jump to this post

My dad did a sit down mri because he is very claustrophobic. He was very uncomfortable - it was all steel he was sitting on so it was hurting his back so he would shift himself - so no good - they were not spasms. In the past he had the cat scan done without contrast (they said not safe for him at his age to do a contrast). They did mention they saw old TIAs. I think my dad was just traumatized and is afraid. However, his walking with the rolo walker has been decreasing. The PT therapy ended and we are trying to get it resumed. We do as much with him on our own but he just doesn't want to now. We put him on depression medicine to see if his attitude would change. So far not really. He really just wants to be able to walk but won't do the work to get there. I guess being 91 and tired I could understand but I'm not giving up! I will send him your wishes. Thank you for your kind words!

@mlmcg

I have fallen too, but I am younger than your father, and I didn't have my walker near me. I did have some dizziness when I was going down the steps, with my walker, to get the mail, but I didn't fall. . My neighbors get my mail for me now. I don't go down the steps unless someone is with me. Your father may be fearful of falling again and that could be why he doesn't want to walk. He may also feel that if he used a walker that could make him look old, which he is.

Jump to this post

Hello, yes I think my dad was just traumatized by the fall. Who knows if he feels old using the walker - he never said that but I'm sure he thinks of that. I know it's not stopping him from being able to walk - I just think he's tramatized. He says it's not walking when he uses the walker - he just wants to walk on his own. I tell him if you get stronger and keep doing this you will get there - and his answer is "bullshit" - lol. That's his response to a lot of things! Thank you for your response! Be well!

@lmg1

My dad did a sit down mri because he is very claustrophobic. He was very uncomfortable - it was all steel he was sitting on so it was hurting his back so he would shift himself - so no good - they were not spasms. In the past he had the cat scan done without contrast (they said not safe for him at his age to do a contrast). They did mention they saw old TIAs. I think my dad was just traumatized and is afraid. However, his walking with the rolo walker has been decreasing. The PT therapy ended and we are trying to get it resumed. We do as much with him on our own but he just doesn't want to now. We put him on depression medicine to see if his attitude would change. So far not really. He really just wants to be able to walk but won't do the work to get there. I guess being 91 and tired I could understand but I'm not giving up! I will send him your wishes. Thank you for your kind words!

Jump to this post

It's quite pleasant to hear your love for this man.
I do approve his answer to a lot of things.
I'm sending this link for consideration mostly because of his fears, depression and loss of strength. The medications for depression can be confusing.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15084139/#:~:text=In%20a%20placebo%2Dcontrolled%20trial,depressive%20disorder%20in%20older%20males.

I feel you need to give your old dad a break about returning to his old self. Falls for older folks are much more difficult to recover from and the older you are the harder it is. You didn’t say whether he broke anything in his fall other than his self confidence. He may or may not recall how he fell and does not want to repeat that adventure again. In addition he went from the hospital as an inpatient (I presume) to an inpatient rehab facility which are both disorienting. Now you’ve taken him to your home and I again presume it was not his prior home, again disorienting for him. I’m not certain of what your expectations are for your 91 y.o. dad but just the fact that he recovered whole from his most recent fall is a plus. Savior the days you have with him while you still can and don’t place your expectations on your dad that he may be unable to meet. Have you asked him what his expectations are at this point in his life?

Sometimes what we want to happen is not what our parents want to happen.
It is not an easy time for all of you. Enjoy your time with your Father. He has a mind of his own, bless his heart. Just talk to him.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.