Chronic Pain members - Welcome, please introduce yourself

Posted by Kelsey Mohring @kelseydm, Apr 27, 2016

Welcome to the new Chronic Pain group.

I’m Kelsey and I’m the moderator of the group. I look forwarding to welcoming you and introducing you to other members. Feel free to browse the topics or start a new one.

Why not take a minute and introduce yourself.

@TonyHart87

A "young" chronic pain sufferer here. I'm 30 but have had pain (most likely) due to a ganglion cyst in my right hand/wrist for the last 2 years. I've had the cyst "popped" once using a needle through ultrasound guidance and it provided relief for a few months but has worsened with time. I have tweaked exercises to reduce pain on it and have cut way down on riding my bicycle though am frustrated that days in which I spend with my 17 month old daughter that I pick her up a lot leave me with throbbing pain for the next few days that gradually gets better. Ibuprofen and Aleve help with the pain but it's something that will only be healed if I surgically get the cyst removed. Has anyone else had surgery to help deal with a pain issue? What finally made you take the surgery plunge?

Jump to this post

@TonyHart87 Hi Tony:

I can certainly understand your less than enthusiastic approach to surgery – and I can fully appreciate the phrase, "how much are willing to pay to make it better." Four years ago I had surgery to help with a paralyzed vocal cord. I put off that surgery for years but finally the fatigue from trying to talk with only one vocal cord and the constant hoarse voice helped me to accept the reality (and risks) of the surgery. All worked out well for me when the doc put the implant in the paralyzed vocal cord. I can now talk as much as I want (may not be the greatest gift to the world) but at least I'm not so fatigued and do not sound so sickly.

I hope you make the best decision for yourself – we all know how much pain and/or inconvenience it will take before we take the plunge to make things better. I'm sure you will know the right time as well.

Teresa

I have constant pain from my hip down to my ankle. I am due for a epidural injection in my spine tomorrow and I am very worried that I may be injured. from marimoses

Hello, I had a fall while working and had X-rays and was told both knees are bone on bone. That part hasn’t bothered me as much as a high grade radial tear which involves the posterior root attachment site of the medial meniscus with associated mild peripheral meniscal displacement. Also have a fracture. This happened May 1st. They found all that out when I told them I needed an MRI. Of course you have to get permission from Workers Comp so everything takes forever. Whatever happens, I want a second opinion. It has been so painful I borrowed neighbors walker because they can’t seem to get me one. My neighbor is over 6’ and i am 5’.
I really am not feeling confident as the clinic is treating me so different than they did for my regular appointments. I am retired but working 25 hrs/week at senior housing where I clean all main areas. Very physical work but enjoy it. I am thinking I should just fake it and go back to work and look for a good doctor. Thanks for listening. Ive had chronic pain since late 80’s so am no stranger to pain.

Liked by grandmaR

@marimoses

I have constant pain from my hip down to my ankle. I am due for a epidural injection in my spine tomorrow and I am very worried that I may be injured. from marimoses

Jump to this post

@MariMosis What you describe sounds like sciatica pain If it is a chiropractor can help with this You didn't say why your getting the back injection?

Do you have Medicaer? If you do, they will cover the walker.

@krberg

Hello, I had a fall while working and had X-rays and was told both knees are bone on bone. That part hasn’t bothered me as much as a high grade radial tear which involves the posterior root attachment site of the medial meniscus with associated mild peripheral meniscal displacement. Also have a fracture. This happened May 1st. They found all that out when I told them I needed an MRI. Of course you have to get permission from Workers Comp so everything takes forever. Whatever happens, I want a second opinion. It has been so painful I borrowed neighbors walker because they can’t seem to get me one. My neighbor is over 6’ and i am 5’.
I really am not feeling confident as the clinic is treating me so different than they did for my regular appointments. I am retired but working 25 hrs/week at senior housing where I clean all main areas. Very physical work but enjoy it. I am thinking I should just fake it and go back to work and look for a good doctor. Thanks for listening. Ive had chronic pain since late 80’s so am no stranger to pain.

Jump to this post

@krberg You said to you did this at work did your boss send you to there Dr.? In Pa I fractured my back while on the job ,my boss sent me to there Dr.and I never had to do anything the Dr.and workers comp toke care of everything. I understand in Calif it's different. Good luck The Dr put me in a turtle shell brace it didn't cost me anything ,the workers comp should do as the Dr.says it you need a walker they should provide it

@krberg

Jump to this post

@krberg Hello!
I also fell at work. It wasn't until the next day that the pain really kicked in. I also had knee issues and I also tore my medical meniscus.
Luckily, my orthopedist is a Workman Comp doctor.
I couldn't walk and tests indicated I needed surgery. So, I did.
I was home for about a week or 2 and worked part time while I went for PT.
Since I was the boss, it was difficult being gone so long, but I did what I had to.
I hope you find a good doc and feel better soon.
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Liked by lioness

Im happy to find a group like this. Id really like to connect with people who can help me with my situation. And be able to hear how others are coping.

Any ideas for constant toothache type pain on left side of nose ,cheek and upper teeth. Also dysfunctional nose. 13 years of pain getting worse

@joannemaisey

Any ideas for constant toothache type pain on left side of nose ,cheek and upper teeth. Also dysfunctional nose. 13 years of pain getting worse

Jump to this post

@joannemaisey have you seen a dentist?

@joannemaisey

Jump to this post

Yes even had a tooth implant thinking it would help but it made no difference.

@joannemaisey

Jump to this post

@joanmassieyhave oh gone to an ENT Dr?

@joannemaisey

Jump to this post

I suggest you see an MD or Dentist specializing in oral facial pain. It may be trigeminal neuralgia type I or type 2. Dental work could make it worse.

@joannemaisey

Jump to this post

please see my previous note. Good luck. Some people call it BMS or burning mouth syndrome.

Hello. My name is Ann. I have chronic pain and have been taking oxycodone for about 6 years. I was diagnosed with EDS less than a year ago. I’ve had around 45 surgical procedures and continue with additional surgeries. I self diagnosed followed by confirmation by a rheumatologist. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my 20s. I worked as a generalist in the clinical laboratory for 17 years and as a RN for ten. Up until this past month my PCP prescribed my pain medication. Since November of 2017 until May of this year I had 3 surgeries, several teeth extracted, pneumonia, and 3 episodes of severe muscle spasms. Having worked in healthcare many years I am knowledgeable in the safe practice of using narcotic and non-narcotic medications. There were times I took more than my usual doses of oxycodone. I kept my PCP informed about when and why I took extra medication. I had a pain contract with my doctor. With a pain contract I cannot receive any prescriptions from another doctor. I went through hell with pain because of this. I have never abused my medication. On the last update to my PCP I was informed she would no longer prescribe oxycodone for me. She referred me to another doctor to get me on Suboxone. I explained I was not an addict and Suboxone would not help relieve the pain. She insisted otherwise. I saw the physician I was referred to. He agreed with me. I am not an addict and Suboxone, he stated, would not be beneficial to me. I went to my pain clinic and explained the situation. I am now taking OxyContin 3 times a day and I’m allowed two 10 mg oxycodone per day. I had to sign another contract. The experience was humiliating. I feel I am being treated like a criminal instead of a patient with legitimate reasons to be taking narcotics. In the past I have used CBD capsules to reduce pain. If I do so now I will no longer be able to get my prescribed medication. Chronic pain, loss of the ability to work, and physical limitations has also caused problems with depression. I know there are many individuals out there with these same issues. I feel each and every one of us needs to stand together for changes in our health care system to be made.I know this has been long to read. Thank you for taking the time to read this. It feels good to vent. There are many days I want to give up. When a life lacks quality it’s difficult to keep on trying to live.

Please login or register to post a reply.