Torn rotator cuff cartilage between 10:00 - 13:00. What repair options

Posted by jdcd @jdcd, Aug 31, 2023

I have torn rotator cuff cartilage between 10:00-13:00. MRI shown to orthopedic doc. His only fix was shoulder replacement or more cortizone. He seems disinterested due to my 70 plus age.Your website showed a repair too. I was active with weights, resistant bands. Now I can't. I need this activity in my life. Help me please.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Bones, Joints & Muscles Support Group.

Good evening @jdcd, and welcome to Connect. I may have a similar situation. After a fall down the stairs, my left shoulder was damaged. I saved my computer but damaged my shoulder. So....I have had cortisone injections and then rotator repair surgery. Unfortunately, within about three years it began to knock on my pain door again. A recent guided injection has been somewhat helpful for about 6 months. The surgeon actually showed me the repair material on the rotator cuff. During that time I also added that shoulder to my list of targets for my weekly MFR therapy (myofascial release therapy).

Still.......it seems like another Reverse shoulder replacement may be coming up soon. My right shoulder was replaced about 12 years ago after two surgeries that failed. It is totally painless and does its best to lift and support my activities..

So, it looks like another progressive surgery might be ahead for me. I am concerned about your reporting of what appeared to be disinterest based on your age. I am 81 years old and had my second TKR (total knee replacement) at 79. As a matter of fact, I brought up the age subject with both surgeons, and they were displeased to say the least. With today's advanced robotic surgeries and pre-fitted replacements, it seems like "quality of life" should be the decisive factor.

Hope this is somewhat helpful and motivating. Let me know how it goes for you.
May you be free of suffering and the causes of suffering.

Chris

My husband fell on ice this past spring and tore cartilage and muscle in his shoulder. He had rotator surgery on this same shoulder nine years ago. X-rays at first appeared to show cartilage had completely tore through, though follow-up x-rays showed tear was bad, but hadn't completely tore through. Without being able to lift his arm beyond waist height and considerable pain when moving it, surgeon said surgery was only option to regain strength and mobility. He had the surgery in May and after six weeks of physical therapy is pain-free and has about 75% of his strength and mobility back. Wishing you the best in whatever solution you decide on and will soon again be able to do the things you enjoy without pain.

I fell on my left arm, Was in serious pain, I went to urgent care they took an x ray, Nothing broken. Doctor said I could go back to work. After a month, I went to haven MRI. They found four tears in rotator cuff. I went to see Dr.Green orthopedic surgeon. He asked me what do I want to do. I said physical therapy,very painful, but after 3-4 months,my last 2 appointments were with a pt who knew what to do. She twisted my arm,I asked her what she was doing. She said I'm putting the muscles back in place, I thought wow! By the last appointment my arm was fine. I was able to reach and stretch with no pain and was able to use my weights again. It was a miracle thanks to Hilary.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.