Tips needed: How do you manage finances during a big medical event?
I’d like to gather your advice on managing health-related expenses. Here are some questions to get the conversation started. Feel free to tell me things that I don’t know to ask, too.
- Do you know what your insurance covers, like finding out what treatments should be pre-approved, what’s in-network, etc.?
- Did you get help from a hospital social worker or financial coordinator? How did they help?
- What are some of the non-medical but related costs to consider like travel, time off work, childcare?
- How do you organize your bills and paper-work to keep it all straight?
- What organizations are available to apply for financial assistance to pay for treatment, travel and more?
What is the one thing you wish you had known? What advice do you offer others?