Sleep Apnea and adjusting to a CPAP machine: Tips?

Posted by vickiw @vickiw, Sep 24, 2016

I'm confused on what to do on CPAP. I hate it and am trying to find a dentist that will take my insurance for a dental device. What would happen if I stop using my CPAP while I'm waiting for one?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Sleep Health Support Group.

@miker8888

What has worked well for me was switchingto a nasal only cushion and light weight harness. Combined with an inexpensive chin strap to encourage nasal breathing only, I have enjoyed the most comfortable and longest sleep periods in25 years

Jump to this post

I've had a similar experience as well. My machine reports continuous leaks but my incidents are nominally less than three per hour. I'm satisfied and comfortable.

@ess77

@miker8888 and all, I've used the Resmed Bi-pap now for a couple of years. I'm so in love with this thing for saving my life, I have very severe apnea with many events holding my breath for over 60 sec and such. I was having trouble breathing during the day while awake, realizing I wasn't breathing and had to take deep, full breath. sometimes it was tough to even breathe; Now, I breathe well all day. The bi-pap pushes air into my nose and helps me breathe out as well. So, I am reminded tp breathe in and out; My autonomic systems aren't working well in some ways. So, I suppose this little quiet machine is saving my life.

My secret find was the nasal cushion, like @miker8888, mentioned.I have a heated hose that warms the water making it much more comfortable for me since I sleep only with cool air and an overhead fan. Helps me with breathing. I'm claustrophobic so any other mask is total NO. Thank God this one was available last year. I don't need the chin strap as with the machine I usually close my mouth.

One problem I can't solve: my kitty sleeeps with me and is afraid of the hose, guess it looks like a snake??? and she can't stand the air that comes out near my nose. So, we have a different sleeping position now. Works. No husband so no issue there. This new machine is much smaller and very qyuet.

Oh, I made an investment in the SoClean machine for daily automatic cleaning. I love it. No more lung infections from not being able to clean the pieces well daily. Arthritis is bad and I can't do so well with my hands, so the additions machine is a wonder;

I hope this info helps and you have the best sleeps from now on. Blessings and enjoy better health...elizaeth

Jump to this post

Your apnea sounds like central apnea. Was that your diagnosis. I'm interested because I will soon be having a sleep study, and based on my tracings from my home device (Wellvue Checkme Plus), I think I have central apnea. I will NOT accept treatment with a CPap (long story), but might consider a BiPap based on what you said

@hindsight

Your apnea sounds like central apnea. Was that your diagnosis. I'm interested because I will soon be having a sleep study, and based on my tracings from my home device (Wellvue Checkme Plus), I think I have central apnea. I will NOT accept treatment with a CPap (long story), but might consider a BiPap based on what you said

Jump to this post

@hindsight, @miker8888, and all..Yes, hindsight, I think I do have central sleep apnea. For me, the scary time was prior to my visits to the sleep apnea clinic at Mayo Florida a couple of years. ago I used a CPAP several years prior but stopped when I repeatedly got bronchitis and pneumonia a couple of times. I think it was from the CPAP machine, as I have difficulty cleaning the machine and hose, etc, daily and getting it done well. I have multiple health issues, arthritis among them, and the use of my hands and fingers is painful and limited. So, when I began to see Mayo docs, they sent me for a sleep test.

I knew I had apnea and it was pretty bad, worse in fact. I held my breath/stopped breathing over 44 times per minute, many times, and other such stuff. Apparently, it's pretty bad. Then add the fact I forget to breathe and have trouble getting my breath often during the day, I graduated to the bi-pap which I love. I sleep well, restful with CBD/Thc tincture or capsule every night. Daytime and nighttime breathing are both improved.

Although now, I'm having some worsening asthma attacks daily, using Symbicort 2X daily and Ventolin as needed if needed. I have phlegm now daily, so may need a change in something. Don't have covid, thankfully, but do have something going on.

But, thank goodness for the sleep study, the miracle of the bi-pap, and the wonderful nasal cushion. I do have some slight autonomic disorder, so all this together makes for the results.

I hope you rethink the use of c-pap therapy. When handled well, as in my case, at Mayo, it is a huge improvement in my life. Blessings on your journey. Mayo restful, healing sleep be your future. Elizabeth

Online comments regarding the use of "RESMED: machines to treat sleep apnea, seem to have gone through the roof for the past few months, since the so called "Philips CPAP Recall" was initiated.
It is clear that these incessant commentaries have been elevated by people who have a vested financial interest in the [proliferation of this brand among CPAP users. These include and are not limited to DMEs and other suppliers of CPAP equipment who have seen their sales in Philips products take a hit.
This being said and as a patient with no horse in this race and one who owns both a Resmed and a Philips Dreamstation equipment (Both types , one of each ASV and AVAPS machines), I'd like to mention that through some pretty exhaustive comparison studies, I find Philips Dreamstation machines algorithm to be far superior to that of Resmed's products.
For example, a Resmed machine algo ignores most apnea events while you are sleep and thus produces a very low AHI which most Resmed diehards use as "proof" that Resmed machines provide great therapy.
In comparison Philips Respironics equipment monitor events very precisely and thus produce a somewhat higher AHI scoring which should not be taken as a sign of poor therapy but rather as an indication of great precision in doing their job.
In short Philips Respironics equipment tend to produce much better data and far more comfortable therapy than Resmed equipment and I attest to that fact having carefully compared both makes and different high end models of each for the treatment of my own CSA.
If you are worried about the "foam" inside a Philips Respironics, you can always take it out or replace the turbine chamber with an empty or a replacement unit which you can buy online for $25 while you await a response from Philips.

I am using the nasal pillows. I just started using the CPAP in mid February. The first week it seemed to work well. I was waking up feeling refreshed. After about a month of use, i started having problems with nasal congestion and post nasal drip. The tube is cumbersome and lately i have been feeling tired and raking a nap in the afternoon. I also take weekly allergy injections which were very effective until about a month after i started CPAP. My AHI varies between 2 and 8. I am wondering how long it will take to be consistently below 4 or 5.

@walk4life

I am using the nasal pillows. I just started using the CPAP in mid February. The first week it seemed to work well. I was waking up feeling refreshed. After about a month of use, i started having problems with nasal congestion and post nasal drip. The tube is cumbersome and lately i have been feeling tired and raking a nap in the afternoon. I also take weekly allergy injections which were very effective until about a month after i started CPAP. My AHI varies between 2 and 8. I am wondering how long it will take to be consistently below 4 or 5.

Jump to this post

Hi, walkfor life,

I've been on cpap for over a year. My AHI events have dropped significantly. Sometimes 0.0 to 1.3. You may want to check leak rate to see if you need to tighten mask. You may be opening your mouth when you sleep. Sometimes I get congested, but I think its related to seasonal allergies. Your sinus issues and fatigue could be an infection. Speak with your doctor about this. He can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

@me49

Hi, walkfor life,

I've been on cpap for over a year. My AHI events have dropped significantly. Sometimes 0.0 to 1.3. You may want to check leak rate to see if you need to tighten mask. You may be opening your mouth when you sleep. Sometimes I get congested, but I think its related to seasonal allergies. Your sinus issues and fatigue could be an infection. Speak with your doctor about this. He can point you in the right direction. Good luck.

Jump to this post

@me49 Thanks for the response. I generally check my results every day or two. For the most part the mask seal has been reported in the good zone. However i just looked at the chart and it shows the last 5 days have had a leak rate of more than 10liters/minute. Previously the rate was below 10.

@ess77

@miker8888 and all, I've used the Resmed Bi-pap now for a couple of years. I'm so in love with this thing for saving my life, I have very severe apnea with many events holding my breath for over 60 sec and such. I was having trouble breathing during the day while awake, realizing I wasn't breathing and had to take deep, full breath. sometimes it was tough to even breathe; Now, I breathe well all day. The bi-pap pushes air into my nose and helps me breathe out as well. So, I am reminded tp breathe in and out; My autonomic systems aren't working well in some ways. So, I suppose this little quiet machine is saving my life.

My secret find was the nasal cushion, like @miker8888, mentioned.I have a heated hose that warms the water making it much more comfortable for me since I sleep only with cool air and an overhead fan. Helps me with breathing. I'm claustrophobic so any other mask is total NO. Thank God this one was available last year. I don't need the chin strap as with the machine I usually close my mouth.

One problem I can't solve: my kitty sleeeps with me and is afraid of the hose, guess it looks like a snake??? and she can't stand the air that comes out near my nose. So, we have a different sleeping position now. Works. No husband so no issue there. This new machine is much smaller and very qyuet.

Oh, I made an investment in the SoClean machine for daily automatic cleaning. I love it. No more lung infections from not being able to clean the pieces well daily. Arthritis is bad and I can't do so well with my hands, so the additions machine is a wonder;

I hope this info helps and you have the best sleeps from now on. Blessings and enjoy better health...elizaeth

Jump to this post

Elizabeth what's the difference between a CPAP ......BIPAP? I am finding this entire process is beginning to drive me crazy 🤪 My events are high, 44 last night and now at noon I want to go back to bed! Will it ever get better 😪

@msflygirlnortherncan

Elizabeth what's the difference between a CPAP ......BIPAP? I am finding this entire process is beginning to drive me crazy 🤪 My events are high, 44 last night and now at noon I want to go back to bed! Will it ever get better 😪

Jump to this post

There are 2 WONDERFUL Facebook groups that focus on the CPAP and sleep. One of them is just for ladies and the other is a beginner’s group. Best of luck!

@hosta

I have trouble with air leaks around the mask too. Does any one else have trouble with an itchy nose while using the mask? If I move the mask to rub my nose, then I start having leaks and can't seem to get it adjusted again.

Jump to this post

Yes I have the itchy nose!! Just one of my problems!!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.