Shoulder replacement needed: What can I expect?

Posted by barbkay @barbkay, Dec 14, 2011

After 2 rotator cuff repairs, I have been told I need a shoulder replacement. I have been referred to Mayo in Rochester and will be going there in 2 weeks for a consult. I have been told I need a reversal. Has anyone out there had this procedure? How did it turn out? I'm not looking to have much use of my left arm, since I haven't used it much for several years. I'm mainly looking for pain relief.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@ltsally

YES YES YES. It is worth it. My surgery was just over a year ago and I've been pretty pain free since the surgery. I still struggle with lifting 3 heavy plates up to the cupboard, but one or two no problem. I can use my newly extended arm (It will be a bit longer than your other arm) to reach the top shelves with no pain. I can hit the tennis ball on the machine but my serving is still problematic so I am working with a trainer to build up strength. Just got home from 6 weeks in Europe and Florida where I schlepped my own suitcase of about 35 pounds everywhere we went. I am 68, active, and highly recommend it. Just make sure you get a nerve catheter as part of your pre surgery medication for the pain and an ice machine to keep cool water packs on the site. YOU GO!

Jump to this post

Good afternoon @ltsally, Great news. Thanks for sharing such a positive post. You included the fact that the surgery arm will end up being longer. I forgot about that. it is not hard to get used to and didn't really botther me except that some of my long-sleeved items have extra fabric or yarn or not enough fabric. It is a bit on the funny side but 3 small heavy plates are my lifting maximum also depending, of course, the height of the shelf. I admire you for continuing to live the life you choose in spite of surgery and are virtually travel independent.

Would you please explain what a "nerve catheter" is and what it does? I am having trouble finding that description.

May you be happy and at peace.
Chris Trout

@scootergirl

I am scheduled for reverse shoulder replacement on February 3. This journey has put me in such a depression because I used to be so active, even at 75 years old, and now I have to depend on people to help me. I even have someone coming over my house every morning just to slick my hair back in a ponytail. Can somebody please convince me that going through the surgery will give me back my quality of life again? Thank you

Jump to this post

@scootergirl - I am 74, and just had a reverse TSR, it will be 5 weeks on Thanksgiving Day. I am very pleased with the surgery so far. I know exactly what you mean about the ponytail! I've had short hair for the last 10 years, but because of not having a haircut for over a year due to the original covid salon shutdowns, I decided to grow out my hair and now need to pull it back to keep it away from my face and neck. Before the surgery, I struggled in pain to keep my elbow up high enough to wrap the scrunchy around my hair, it came out messy and off center, even when propping my elbow against the wall to help. Last summer I decided it was time for surgery because I was getting such restricted range of movement --like washing my hair with only my left hand, and my shoulder had a constant nagging ache all the time, with a few bad fareups that were much worse. It was even hard to get to sleep with the low level ache. I decided I could not live the rest of my life with this nagging pain, so went for the surgery.

Though I live in a rural area, we have a regional medical facility and one of our local orthopedic surgeons has a very good reputation. I personally knew of three people that were happy with their surgical results, and my primary care physician also praised him. I had him do both of my TKR knees in the last two years, and I was pleased with them.

With knees, they have you up and in physical therapy immediately. With shoulders there is more support muscle healing needed, so although you are given passive arm flexing and pendulum swinging exercises that you start right after surgery, you don't do anything demanding until after 4-6 weeks. I've been going to PT for two weeks, but most of that has been them manipulating my arm and gentle arm raises, just started the sitting pulley last week. At home, I have a folded towel to push up a slick wall in different directions, but that is the only homework I was given. I think the tougher exercises will start after I have my six week clearance from my surgeon.

Since the surgery, I no longer have the constant arthritic ache, and I am sleeping through the night with only one or two wakes, have no trouble getting back to sleep. My surgical pain was almost non-existent. The only pain would be when I tried to move my arm awkwardly out of it's limited arc of comfort and hit that "ouch" wall.

I did twice the suggested number of pendulum reps and arm flexes per session, probably four times a day instead of twice. I don't know if that helped, but my flexion ROM was 130 and abduction ROM was 93 on my 2nd PT measurement, which is really good for 3rd week, and not too far from goal results of 140/90 at 8 weeks out. I probably do too much, and one of my PT guys scolded me for even trying to put my arm up to make a ponytail at this point. But I find that if I can do something without causing much strain or pain, I may do it without thinking about it. I am at the point now, where I can get my arm up and do a much neater job with the ponytail, but I still need the wall for a bit of support for my elbow, and I need to support my arm when I move it slowly back down. It's so cool when I can see progress with little things. I don't use my right arm yet to shower or wash my hair, but last time some excess shampoo glop was running down my forehead, and I automatically put up my right hand to catch it, and it didn't hurt! Could not have done that pre-surgery.

Everyone reacts to surgery, pain and healing in their own way so I don't think there can ever be a 100% guarantee that you will be fine and will heal quickly. But for me it was so worth it to be rid of the constant arthritic pain. It's still early for me in the healing process, but I would do it again in an instant.

I was asked about the nerve catheter... It is a nerve block....they put the needle into a nerve in your neck... you control the pain meds post surgery and it is a Godsend.

@rckleinsmith

Just ready your plea Scootergirl and was surprised how much we are alike in that I am 74 and will be undergoing the same procedure as you on December 9th. Please do not lose any sleep over worry or fret about 'what might happen' as it will do nothing positive for you. Instead, please envision 3 weeks post operation - maybe less - when the pain you had is now replaced with the soreness of healing. I've read up on this surgery, what to expect, etc, etc, etc., and am only looking to the future. I've had a spinal fusion (some say, horror of horrors) but I do believe my positive attitude was the key in getting on my feet in record time. First, your doctor / surgeon is not doing you justice if he has not had you go through a Joint Camp or an intensive program that provides you with all you need to know. BTW, the hospital I will have my surgery, 7 Rivers Bayfront in Crystal River, FL., requires everyone scheduled for hip, knee or shoulder replacement to go through a 2 hour Joint Camp program where everything is explained and a notebook of information is given. Hope this helps. BTW, your boyfriend is not helping by discounting your concerns and he needs to know about it. The day will come and he will need support. Blessings & Health!

Jump to this post

Thank you so much for your support, sometimes you have to turn to for support from others like this group which become your new family. Wishing you the best of luck on your surgery and I look Forward to hearing your successful results 🙏

Did anyone ever go straight to a rehab facility for a week after being discharged from shoulder replacement? I live alone and I’m concerned about having to be home alone after this surgery.

They don't normally do any rehab on the shoulder for at least the first two weeks after surgery (unlike knees) so you would just be looking for a place to stay that might help tend to your daily needs. If you can convince a friend, relative or neighbor to come and stay with you for a week, or at least check in with you every day that might work out.

Pre-planning your temporary lack of one arm, and testing ahead of time how you get along using only one hand should give you a clue as to how much help you will need. You could make up a bunch of casseroles to freeze in serving size portions to reheat for your main meals, keeping cooking chores down. My doctor stressed eating lots of protein to help the damaged muscles repair.

You can already try showering, brushing teeth, eating with just your non-surgical hand. Yes, even wiping your bottom with the off hand is not that easy. Chances are your bad arm is already too painful to use much in the shower. Wearing loose, stretchy elastic waist pants and tops is common sense. Try dressing yourself with one hand while the bad forearm is mostly held against your stomach. Which of these activities do you think you will need the most help with, and exactly what steps to aid you would you have others do?

I thought I would need my husband to help out more than he actually did. In the end, I mostly needed him to put in my glaucoma eye drops twice a day. I could have done it with my left hand, but I would miss my aim and waste too much of the liquid on 2nd passes. After one day at home, I learned how to put on my sling/immobilizer without any help by backing up to a wall or furniture to help grasp the velcro cross straps. Whenever I would feel a bit frustrated, I would tell myself that there are hundreds of one-armed paraplegics out there that find ways of tending to themselves without help!

I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you. A companion in the home is really nice, since you can't always anticipate when you might need help. A nursing facility could also be a solution, if they don't expect you to stay in bed much. I was told to get up and move around at least once an hour as when I got home from the hospital.

In my experience I had a lot of nausea and vomiting for quite sometime after my reverse total shoulder. Couldn’t do anything for myself as it was my dominant side. Wasn’t allowed a shower for a week, that was the worst for me. I had family care for me the first few weeks. I had found some great you tube videos from people who had shoulder surgery which was very helpful and positive. I had thought maybe I should be in rehab facility but wasn’t old enough, not 65. Anyhow I bought some really great shirts from rebound wear.com which allowed my surgeon and therapist easy access. Also purchased some Velcro night gowns and Velcro shirts from Etsy which eventually allowed me to dress myself. Couldn’t tie shoes. Anyhow life is better not in horrible pain like pre surgery. Had done in Feb 2019. Had a great surgeon and great physical therapist. Very long road to recovery, wish I hadn’t suffered so long. What I will say it takes dedication on our part, to do the therapy. I was told I would need to keep up the exercises indefinitely. I have my own pulley, therabands and weights which I do every day. I do tend to overdue so I still go back to get needling done from therapist once every 6-8 weeks and utilize athletic tape for shoulder on occasion. Although going once a month now because just had a total knee done 6 months ago and couldn’t lift weights for a while so I’m working my strength back up in shoulder. Still would do it again as I have a better quality of life now. Can’t say enough, if the surgeon does their part, you get a great therapist and work hard you will do great! Positive attitude helps too! Best of luck

Hi,

I was just told the RSR is in my future. I am very concerned about the surgery. I am an amputee (no right hand). The surgery is to my Left shoulder. In the past, I have had rotator cuff surgery to the Left arm. I survived it. Did My questions are:
1) is RSR worse recovery than Rotator cuff surgery
2) After RSR can you use that arm to drive a car? Trying to figure out if my post recovery limitations.
3) Anyone out there had a similar amputation problem?

Thanks for your help.

@forge55

Hi,

I was just told the RSR is in my future. I am very concerned about the surgery. I am an amputee (no right hand). The surgery is to my Left shoulder. In the past, I have had rotator cuff surgery to the Left arm. I survived it. Did My questions are:
1) is RSR worse recovery than Rotator cuff surgery
2) After RSR can you use that arm to drive a car? Trying to figure out if my post recovery limitations.
3) Anyone out there had a similar amputation problem?

Thanks for your help.

Jump to this post

Good afternoon @forge55. I'm glad you made the decision to become a Connect member. First off.......this forum is designed to make it possible for folks to learn by sharing their experiences and building knowledge about a condition that comes with many questions and concerns.

So.....let's tackle the driving issue first. Yes, you will be able to drive very well after RSR (reverse shoulder replacement) surgery on your left side. The only thing you cannot do is drive while you have the "immobilizer" on and that might be about 6 weeks..

And.....next.....yes, it takes longer to recover from RSR than from rotator cuff surgery. If you were to look at the surgical "tag" in your shoulder from the rotator cuff repair, you would see that it is only about an inch square. RSR involves removing and replacing bone in your arm and your shoulder. Bone comes with lots of other tissues like muscles, ligaments, and fascia.

Just so you know how I learned this, I have had four shoulder surgeries, including 3 rotator cuff repairs or attempted repairs and 1 RSR surgery. I must tell you that I was surprised at the moderate levels of pain I experienced after the RSR. I remember going out with friends for dinner 3 days after surgery which was on my dominant side.

What will make a difference in the outcome of your surgery? Choosing an excellent surgeon who can make sure that the reverse elements fit perfectly in your shoulder area. It is also important that your surgery arm doesn't end up being longer than your other arm. Mine is a little bit longer and I am now used to it.

What else matters?
PT......my physical therapist discussed and reviewed the therapy program with my surgeon on a regular basis.
Ice..... several times every day and an ice machine is the best element. I didn't have an ice machine so I froze water bottles and used them.
Sleeping comfortably while protecting your shoulder which will still be in the immobilizer. I didn't have a recliner and used a wedge with some pillows. I also
created a sleeping garment that came down over my head and shoulders. Button it up and don't put your arm through the sleeve.
A positive attitude which I had after two rotator cuff failures.
A commitment to comply with recommended exercises. You are the winner then.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. I do not qualify to respond to the amputation problem and yet I am sure you will figure it out.

When do you think your surgery will be scheduled?

May you be safe, protected, and free from inner and outer harm.
Chris

@artscaping

Good afternoon @forge55. I'm glad you made the decision to become a Connect member. First off.......this forum is designed to make it possible for folks to learn by sharing their experiences and building knowledge about a condition that comes with many questions and concerns.

So.....let's tackle the driving issue first. Yes, you will be able to drive very well after RSR (reverse shoulder replacement) surgery on your left side. The only thing you cannot do is drive while you have the "immobilizer" on and that might be about 6 weeks..

And.....next.....yes, it takes longer to recover from RSR than from rotator cuff surgery. If you were to look at the surgical "tag" in your shoulder from the rotator cuff repair, you would see that it is only about an inch square. RSR involves removing and replacing bone in your arm and your shoulder. Bone comes with lots of other tissues like muscles, ligaments, and fascia.

Just so you know how I learned this, I have had four shoulder surgeries, including 3 rotator cuff repairs or attempted repairs and 1 RSR surgery. I must tell you that I was surprised at the moderate levels of pain I experienced after the RSR. I remember going out with friends for dinner 3 days after surgery which was on my dominant side.

What will make a difference in the outcome of your surgery? Choosing an excellent surgeon who can make sure that the reverse elements fit perfectly in your shoulder area. It is also important that your surgery arm doesn't end up being longer than your other arm. Mine is a little bit longer and I am now used to it.

What else matters?
PT......my physical therapist discussed and reviewed the therapy program with my surgeon on a regular basis.
Ice..... several times every day and an ice machine is the best element. I didn't have an ice machine so I froze water bottles and used them.
Sleeping comfortably while protecting your shoulder which will still be in the immobilizer. I didn't have a recliner and used a wedge with some pillows. I also
created a sleeping garment that came down over my head and shoulders. Button it up and don't put your arm through the sleeve.
A positive attitude which I had after two rotator cuff failures.
A commitment to comply with recommended exercises. You are the winner then.

Please let me know if you have additional questions. I do not qualify to respond to the amputation problem and yet I am sure you will figure it out.

When do you think your surgery will be scheduled?

May you be safe, protected, and free from inner and outer harm.
Chris

Jump to this post

Thank you for sharing your story. I am a survivor. As a survivor you learn to ask questions and plan .

The surgeon says that the operation is not needed now. But, he thinks I will need it within the next 5 years.

I am now trying to figure out how I will be able to survive (eat, dress, brush teeth and go to the bathroom) during the 1st day after operation to when I have limited hand movement. I am assuming that is the first 2 weeks. Is that correct? Will I be able to use the operated arm/hand to do very light functions -- eat....

I am trying to do more with my prosthetic on the right arm. Hoping to learn how to hold a spoon/fork to feed myself. Assuming that I can not use my operated arm to do this. Is that correct?

Again thank you for sharing

Please sign in or register to post a reply.