Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

You definitely could benefit from going to a good physical therapist. They can help increase your range of motion by mobilizing your knee cap to make sure it is tracking properly and distracting your knee joint and gliding your tibia forward and backwards. These things are difficult to impossible to do to yourself but increase flexion and extension. And, they can progress your exercises to meet your functional rehab goals. Good luck!

@lawman

May I ask who your surgeon is? And what exactly did the treatment entail? I’m 3 years out and worse than before TKR

Jump to this post

My surgeon is in Springfield Mo. he made 2 small incisions on either side of my knee and scoped it to remove the scar tissue. Same day surgery and in a bandage/brace for 4 days
Not much pain and I can really tell a difference.

@hashra1

I had a knee replacement 14 months ago and still have knee pain and my IT band is still tight and gives me pain and my knee doesn’t bend far because of that. Really frustrated! Went for second opinion and doctor suggested manipulation but could cause other issues or arthroscopic surgery to clean out scar tissue.During pt I was doing great in the beginning but then started having back issues and sciatica so had to deal with both.Still can’t walk down stairs without stiffness and pain. Any suggestions?

Jump to this post

Hi hashra1 something I would try is myofascial release , I know I I talk about mfr all the time but I really believe in it because it helped me so much …I also found a chiropractor that does everything from cold and laser therapy to graston technique she is amazing….. water therapy also very helpful …I know you feel about surgery ….maybe try some of these other techniques I hope you find one or two helpful ….I can only tell you from my own experience water therapy and mfr worked wonders for me …., good luck

Has anyone had success with using the laser to break up adhesions and scar tissue? My TKR was 8/22/22, I can't get past 95degres bend. Next step MUA.

Does anyone know of a good physical therapy office to treat knee arthrofibrosis in the Long Island, NY area?

@missv

Has anyone had success with using the laser to break up adhesions and scar tissue? My TKR was 8/22/22, I can't get past 95degres bend. Next step MUA.

Jump to this post

I am almost 3 months out I felt stuck ….. I changed things up went to pt 1 week got in the pool 2 a week …. And at home continuing to exercise 2 a day bike 15 hold a bending stretch just till comfortable for 10 min with few other stretching exercises …. Like I tell all I do mfr 2 a week helps me push my knee harder and control any swelling ….and doing this I felt changes quickly I am over 105 now I can go upstairs almost comfortably…. Down still hurts some but I still doing it will get better…..I think if I had to pick 1 thing to change first if you can try find pool your dr can write script for pool therapy …..good luck hope you find the one thing that helps you get through …. I have to say I did have mua it did not help made me regress more …many others I read say the same thing not helpful…..good luck

@ezas123

I am almost 3 months out I felt stuck ….. I changed things up went to pt 1 week got in the pool 2 a week …. And at home continuing to exercise 2 a day bike 15 hold a bending stretch just till comfortable for 10 min with few other stretching exercises …. Like I tell all I do mfr 2 a week helps me push my knee harder and control any swelling ….and doing this I felt changes quickly I am over 105 now I can go upstairs almost comfortably…. Down still hurts some but I still doing it will get better…..I think if I had to pick 1 thing to change first if you can try find pool your dr can write script for pool therapy …..good luck hope you find the one thing that helps you get through …. I have to say I did have mua it did not help made me regress more …many others I read say the same thing not helpful…..good luck

Jump to this post

Hi ezas,

Thanks for all of your posts. Very helpful. Any ideas why MFR works and MUA doesn't? I would think MUA would be better because they can work deeper into the scar tissue or muscle while you're under. Just curious.

Thanks my friend. Joe

@heyjoe415

Hi ezas,

Thanks for all of your posts. Very helpful. Any ideas why MFR works and MUA doesn't? I would think MUA would be better because they can work deeper into the scar tissue or muscle while you're under. Just curious.

Thanks my friend. Joe

Jump to this post

Mfr less traumatic I feel on the person and on your knee … mfr focus on the tissue bands that get tight around your muscles ….when I go for mfr when I was super tight the first time I went I had gotten some relief but only last few days …. But I continued to go to mfr session would carry over longer ….. I had mua not saying it does not work but for me I regressed even more …..I got very swollen you are supposed to go to pt one week after I did two days pt told me stay home And elevate and ice…. So for me made it worse ….I did not know about mfr yet at that time if I had I would have made another choice….. but my first tkr Nothing was helping mua made unbelievable painful…. A few months later I am still in pain found this site found mfr …. Mfr with bad knee made it tolerable….. I was like wow last tkr dealt with all this swelling and pain ….revision mfr no swelling less pain this recovery has been amazing….I hope this answers your question Joe

@tilley1

What kind of doctor did this procedure. I had a THR 8 months ago. Had an intraoperative fracture that was set with a wire curclage. Initially did well. Developed iliopsoas tendonitis which after 5 months has improved somewhat. Have full range of motion but hip area is very tight - it feels like someone has placed tight strings around my upper leg and butt nusckes and are pulling them in oppositedirections. I have numbness, tingling and pain that is not related to the tendinitis. Recently had mri if hip and also of pelvic and lateral hip sensory nerves. Both showed significant fibrous adhesions. The Otho, not the one who did the surgery, said the scars were caused by the anterior approach and that if I had them removed they would come back. The neurologist and nerve mri diagnosed entrapment of the lateral cutaneous femoral nerve probably from scar tissue. The neurologist said the condition is permanant but I could have the sensory nerve cut to alleviate the pain and that it should be done by a plastic surgeon. She did not know anyone that did this. Most if the time I am more bothered by the tightness. I’m interested in attempting to have the scar tissue removed or at least would like a consult but do not know what kind of doctor does this. Any ideas?

Jump to this post

I had THR almost 8 month ago. Had an intraoperative fracture that was set with a wire cerclage. Having many issues. Found I'm allergic to nickel. Since my surgery, I have a strange taste that has never gone away, blurred vision (had eye exam and that's not the cause), foggy brain, and fatigue. In addition, I have pain everyday and every night in my upper thigh. The incision area is still very sore to the touch. They finally did an MRI and found fluid in the hip which they aspirated and thankfully there was no infection. My latest ortho surgeon suggested nerve ablation. The first most painful injection left me more so sore for days that I'm not doing that again. I don't believe this is nerve related. I'm at a loss as to what is causing my issues. Can't help but think it's the wire since there is nickel in it and most of the pain is in my upper thigh. I read where someone had a wire around her femur and suffered for 13 months and finally had it removed to find it had frayed and there were metal threads causing her pain. My CT scans do not show a problem with the wire though. Anyone else having any similar issues?

@ezas123

Mfr less traumatic I feel on the person and on your knee … mfr focus on the tissue bands that get tight around your muscles ….when I go for mfr when I was super tight the first time I went I had gotten some relief but only last few days …. But I continued to go to mfr session would carry over longer ….. I had mua not saying it does not work but for me I regressed even more …..I got very swollen you are supposed to go to pt one week after I did two days pt told me stay home And elevate and ice…. So for me made it worse ….I did not know about mfr yet at that time if I had I would have made another choice….. but my first tkr Nothing was helping mua made unbelievable painful…. A few months later I am still in pain found this site found mfr …. Mfr with bad knee made it tolerable….. I was like wow last tkr dealt with all this swelling and pain ….revision mfr no swelling less pain this recovery has been amazing….I hope this answers your question Joe

Jump to this post

Thanks ezas and yes, you answered my question.

It's also just a lot more practical to use MFR. With MUA you have to be anesthetized and that's not convenient at all!

For those who are having trouble post-TKR with scar tissue and tightness, it sounds like MFR is at least worth a try. Thanks ezas.

Joe

Please sign in or register to post a reply.