Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@sgresham

I had THR almost 8 month ago. Had an intraoperative fracture that was set with a wire cerclage. Having many issues. Found I'm allergic to nickel. Since my surgery, I have a strange taste that has never gone away, blurred vision (had eye exam and that's not the cause), foggy brain, and fatigue. In addition, I have pain everyday and every night in my upper thigh. The incision area is still very sore to the touch. They finally did an MRI and found fluid in the hip which they aspirated and thankfully there was no infection. My latest ortho surgeon suggested nerve ablation. The first most painful injection left me more so sore for days that I'm not doing that again. I don't believe this is nerve related. I'm at a loss as to what is causing my issues. Can't help but think it's the wire since there is nickel in it and most of the pain is in my upper thigh. I read where someone had a wire around her femur and suffered for 13 months and finally had it removed to find it had frayed and there were metal threads causing her pain. My CT scans do not show a problem with the wire though. Anyone else having any similar issues?

Jump to this post

I don't have first hand experience, but if you're allergic to nickel and the wire cerclage is made of nickel, well seems to me it should be removed and, if possible replaced with something else.

I hope you find an answer.

Joe

@cheris

Hi I had total knee replacement 10 months ago. Lots of swelling. Went to PT had deep tissue massage. VERY painful I felt like I had a very tight band around my knee making it hard to move.. I used a recumbent cross trainer which helped a lot. Getting into the pool and walking had an immediate effect on bringing down the swelling. After 3 months I did fairly well. I was bothered for a long time with sciatic pain making it hard to sit and ride in a car. I had second knee replaced 8 weeks ago. Almost no swelling very good range of motion right after the operation. Doing exercises twice a day and icing 3 time a day. This time around so much better. Some stiffness in knee but nothing compared to last time. My only problem is the hip/butt pain is back but not as bad. Has anyone else had this problem???

Jump to this post

Omg this is me - I’m six weeks post op. I feel awful , I feel exactly the same 3 weeks post. The sciatic pain running from hip inside groin down to foot and down the back and side I pressure IT band . My knee is awful it feels like someone has poured concrete in it and then as u said tied the tightest elastic bands around it . My scar is still open also . It’s really getting me down please please please help me .

@heyjoe415

Thanks ezas and yes, you answered my question.

It's also just a lot more practical to use MFR. With MUA you have to be anesthetized and that's not convenient at all!

For those who are having trouble post-TKR with scar tissue and tightness, it sounds like MFR is at least worth a try. Thanks ezas.

Joe

Jump to this post

Sorry I’m new to this - Wots mfr??

@sambles12

Sorry I’m new to this - Wots mfr??

Jump to this post

Myofascial release. It's a massage technique to break up stubborn tissue that forms, like scar tissue. It hurts. It's not like a massage in that regard. It can be done under anesthesia so you don't feel the pain.

@sambles12

Omg this is me - I’m six weeks post op. I feel awful , I feel exactly the same 3 weeks post. The sciatic pain running from hip inside groin down to foot and down the back and side I pressure IT band . My knee is awful it feels like someone has poured concrete in it and then as u said tied the tightest elastic bands around it . My scar is still open also . It’s really getting me down please please please help me .

Jump to this post

Hi sambles,

I'm sorry for your predicament. Sciatic pain is usually very different from the pain you'll fell in recovery from a TKR. It's hard to tell for sure. That looks like a picture of a swollen knee. Three weeks out it should not be that swollen. Did you do all the post-op stretches and exercises? Are you elevating the knee above your heart and icing? are you taking or have you been prescribed something for inflammation (Rx like Celebrex, or NSAID like Aleve OTC)?

Joe

@cobweb

i should not laugh but when i went through physical therapy we were near a doctors office. The screams brought the nurses running down the hall. They came from me as i was breaking the scar tissue. I still do not have the flexibility i ad before replacement but it will have to do. I do now people that have had to have surgery to break the scar tissue. I was told how wonderful it would be to have a knee replacement and to be able to play tennis again etc. Golf is my sport of choice now.
The knee brace i have for the left knee that i purchased for stem cells has the have the hand cranks. Love the brace. Wear it when i golf, biking and gardening. Would recommend it to anyone as it has great support. Its not like like that are advertised or what you see young people wearing in sports.
I do have a friend who will be undergoing scar tissue surgery. I knew he would hve to have it done as he did nothing at home. Another friend did nothing, had her surgery for scar tissue , had second knee done and learned her lesson and did the therapy at home. Hard work, painful, but as they say, growing old ain't for sissies.

Jump to this post

Please tell me where I get a brace with a hand crank to break up scar tissue. I believe that is why I cannot straighten my leg. It is very painful. I am over 9 months out of tkr. No Dr seems like they are concerned to even try to help me.

@ammaw52

Please tell me where I get a brace with a hand crank to break up scar tissue. I believe that is why I cannot straighten my leg. It is very painful. I am over 9 months out of tkr. No Dr seems like they are concerned to even try to help me.

Jump to this post

@ammaw52 How about a physical therapist who can treat surgical scar tissue? You may be interested in myofascial release. I have done this a lot with my physical therapist who is trained in this technique and it has realled helped me. Here is our discussion and there is a provider search at http://mfrtherapists.com/.

— Myofascial Release Therapy (MFR) for treating compression and pain:
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myofascial-release-therapy-mfr-for-treating-compression-and-pain/

Have you heard of or tried Myofascial Release Therapy before?

@heyjoe415

Hi sambles,

I'm sorry for your predicament. Sciatic pain is usually very different from the pain you'll fell in recovery from a TKR. It's hard to tell for sure. That looks like a picture of a swollen knee. Three weeks out it should not be that swollen. Did you do all the post-op stretches and exercises? Are you elevating the knee above your heart and icing? are you taking or have you been prescribed something for inflammation (Rx like Celebrex, or NSAID like Aleve OTC)?

Joe

Jump to this post

Hey - yes I’ve done everything to the book. I’ve even managed gentle spinning on the static bike . Yes I iced for 4 weeks I hired a game ready machine.

@jenniferhunter

@ammaw52 How about a physical therapist who can treat surgical scar tissue? You may be interested in myofascial release. I have done this a lot with my physical therapist who is trained in this technique and it has realled helped me. Here is our discussion and there is a provider search at http://mfrtherapists.com/.

— Myofascial Release Therapy (MFR) for treating compression and pain:
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myofascial-release-therapy-mfr-for-treating-compression-and-pain/

Have you heard of or tried Myofascial Release Therapy before?

Jump to this post

Yes I checked into it. There is a lady that does it, that is in Newnan Ga. Which is a good ways from me. She takes no insurance and I probably could not pay for it out of pocket. Is it expensive?

I am sorry to hear this...I cannot take Nsaids and at 6 weeks my right leg is about 25% larger and I still have swelling. I was having some hip and back pain and I have used 600 mg Gabapentin and Tizanadine at bedtime. I slept 9 hours last night and was only up twice to the bathroom (it's bee every two hours). a physical therapist can massage the scar tissue and I have also done it at home and used a massage vibrator to break up tissue.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.