Resolutions for 2024?

Posted by Scott R L @scottrl, Dec 18, 2023

I am not a big fan of new year's resolutions, but every now and then...

A year ago, I decided to end the toxic relationships in my life.

If you've read my posts about my stroke recovery, you know that a consistent theme is my sense of isolation. Despite that, there were a few people who just weren't helping. They were dragging me down with their own negativity and hostility toward the world.

Frankly, I am in the fight of my life, and I don't have the energy for that. I shed these people, and feel much better for it. Now there's room for more positivity.

So, what's ahead for me in 2024?

I hope to continue to find groups to talk to, where I can provide an encouraging message of recovery despite disability and/or limitations.

I want to build on the message that I started here:
http://www.youtube.com/@srlucado/videos

What are your goals for the new year? Is there anything I can do to help?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@scottrl I am facing disability myself for the coming year.
I am resolved to take life as it comes, not work things out using my own resources alone, and be patient with myself and others.
I believe that my life has be given a purpose and a plan by God. No self-help programs are required when you have Him directing your foot steps.

My intentions for 2024 are to be grateful every single day for all my blessings….such as life, ability to walk, move, see, work and take care of myself. Every day is precious. And perhaps my biggest intention is to be as loving as possible. I want to make love as much as possible. I don’t want to waste any time in 2024. And, I hope I will have met my fitness goals and be in my best shape in years. My goal is to be there by April 1.

My goal is to continue to continue on. Continue to make a difference wherever/however I can. Pause to admire the little things, smell the roses. Forge ahead to work on keeping myself as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Take time to create, to write. To see the bigger picture, but not forget the little details that make up that picture.

It may read as fairly nebulous, but it's open to interpretation that way, and flexibility.
Ginger

Great topic--thank you Scott. Since the start of my diagnostic journey, about 16 months ago, I have felt somewhat perplexed as to how to live in terms of "goals." I've started a system that I love, however. I have a notebook and allow myself to be as aspirational as I want within a 3 month period. I write everything down under headers like: health, spirituality, creativity, sociability, fun, etc. Then I roll for that 90 days without second guessing myself. I know from a coaching model that it is good to be concrete, like "go to 3 live music concerts" or "walk a half hour a day." The action items are very clear and specific, as that is how my brain works. For my entire adult life I've done 10 things a day--no more, no less. I get teased about this a lot, and asked what I count. But they are my necessary things and important to me things, and I enjoy checking things off. When I was a harassed single working mom it helped to LIMIT the To Do. Now at a quiet time of life sometimes I use the list to expand my activities.
Happily my next round starts on January 1, perfect for a new start. I'm really figuring out what I want that I know is at least somewhat realistic. (For example, "be calm" can't be a real goal for me while "listen more" might be!) Thanks again. Enjoying what people say here.

My resolution for 2024 is to do less multi-tasking and be fully present in each thing I do. This will be Page 1 of my 2024 journal.

That means... turning the radio off in the car and listening to the interaction of my grandsons, chiming in as appropriate... locking the computer screen and listening when my spouse speaks, or saying "I'm in the middle of somethin, can we chat in XX minutes?"... setting aside my cell phone when with my daughters/friends, and asking them to do the same... enjoying the process while stitching, dyeing, felting, learning to watercolor, instead of focusing on the end product. I'm sure I'll add more to my list as time goes by.

Sue

Thanks for sharing, @scottrl . When I got home from hospital (in pretty-bad shape at the time), instead of making annual resolutions, I set up daily reminders to pop up on my phone, repeating weekly. They're still mostly the same after almost 2 years, and I still find them helpful every time they come up.

Sunday: Acceptance means coming to terms with uncertainty, not assuming the worst. The future isn't written yet.

Monday: A new week is full of new possibilities; don't miss any of them because you're looking to the past.

Tuesday: Appreciate all the people in your life: you're never alone.

Wednesday: How you feel emotionally isn't based on what's happening; it's based on how you think about what's happening.

Thursday: It's not always about you and your illness.

Friday: Take a moment to feel sorry for yourself, then let it go.

Saturday: Focus on what you can do, not on what you can't.

@northoftheborder

Thanks for sharing, @scottrl . When I got home from hospital (in pretty-bad shape at the time), instead of making annual resolutions, I set up daily reminders to pop up on my phone, repeating weekly. They're still mostly the same after almost 2 years, and I still find them helpful every time they come up.

Sunday: Acceptance means coming to terms with uncertainty, not assuming the worst. The future isn't written yet.

Monday: A new week is full of new possibilities; don't miss any of them because you're looking to the past.

Tuesday: Appreciate all the people in your life: you're never alone.

Wednesday: How you feel emotionally isn't based on what's happening; it's based on how you think about what's happening.

Thursday: It's not always about you and your illness.

Friday: Take a moment to feel sorry for yourself, then let it go.

Saturday: Focus on what you can do, not on what you can't.

Jump to this post

That's a great list, and one that I think a lot of people could benefit from.

I have a daily mental checklist that covers a lot of those topics, plus I answer this question: "What are you grateful for today, Scott?" (And it's okay to be grateful for the same things day after day. It prevents taking things/people for granted.)

Thanks for your comment!

I have a note on my bulletin board, “Who can I bless today?” I try to do at least one thing a day to make someone else’s day. It can be for a stranger, friend, neighbor — anyone. Can be something simple like a note, sincere compliment, taking back someone’s grocery cart for them, etc. I keep my eyes open for opportunities throughout the day. That in turn can make my day.

I was deeply affected by your comment about letting go of toxic people…I too had to make this sad decision and some were family members. It’s like you go through your life surrounded by people, some are family and others are friends and acquaintances. I have always been very analytical with everything and everyone but I internalize my feelings…after having cancer twice in the past 3 years I became more aware of how they were affecting me and my struggles to carry on, lots of negative comments that scared me or comparing their ailments to mine like it was a competition. I understand that we’re all going through a lot with life these days and everyone is stressed out but I don’t need to pulled into non productive arguments, I can use some mental support for my depression but no one has the interest because they have their own issues. I would rather have one loyal friend than a lot of fair weather family and friends.

Good for you - you weeded the friendship garden. You are on the right path. And, willing to help others.......thumbs up to you. I hope you have a healthy, happy New Year.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.