Anyone else have a Redundant / Tortuous Colon?

Posted by onaquest @onaquest, Nov 7, 2018

Hello. Anyone else out there that has a redundant/ tortured colon? I was diagnosed with this a few years ago. I’m usually ok, but if I get constipated, I get sick for a week or two. Last year my gastroenterologist referred me to a surgeon for urgent surgery to remove some of my colon. The surgeon I ended up seeing (not on the recommended list by my gastro doc due to others not available for a long time) said he believed I could live with the redundant colon if I followed a low FODMAP diet. I tried the diet religiously, scientifically (I’m a scientist), and I found it’s not the food I eat that causes these bouts of constipation. The only item I’ve found that might cause the bouts is coffee every day. An occasional coffee seems fine. What has helped me stay regular in a big way is Benefiber (or any pure wheat dextrose generic) three times per day. Lots of fluid.

My gastro doc was upset with the surgeon and said I’d regret not having the surgery. He fears I will end up in an emergency situation. I have searched the Mayo site and don’t find anything about redundant/ tortured colon. Are any Mayo docs doing research or treat this condition? Anyone else suffer from this too?
Thank you! -Jayne

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Digestive Health Support Group.

@giadiamond

I am in my 40s and recently had my first colonoscopy and was surprised to learn I have a redundant colon! I used to live in NYC and walked so much, I barely noticed. But I moved to a driving city and was noticing bowel movements that were extremely large that were causing tearing and bleeding. Doctors were telling me to eat more fiber. But then after the diagnosis I was told to eat a low fiber diet, which lacked almost any nutrients.

I am still trying to get a hold of how to eat a balanced diet. I've been reading up on gut health and adding kimchi and probiotics to my diet. Trying to slow down when I eat and drink a lot of water. (I like the idea of setting a water reminder)

I've decided to eat a bit more intuitively and pay more attention to how different foods impact me. It seems it takes about 6 days for food to make it through my colon. I stay away from cruciferous veggies and peppers.

Taking miralax has been a big help. I have to experiment with how often, because too much and stool gets runny. I actually found that eating grape nuts in the AM keeps me regular.

I have also been trying belly dancing, massage, sit-ups and walking after meals. But sometimes I don't hear or anything moving around in there!

So this is definitely a new journey. But I'm taking it slow. I've been confused by advice to eat low fiber vs. high fiber. Somewhere inbetween works.

Hopefully I will be able to meet with a nutritionist who specializes in this one day. If anyone knows of anyone to follow on social media let me know.

Jump to this post

I, being a born sceptic suggest the advice on fiber shows, sadly, why they call it PRACTICING medicine. I just posted tonight and told my whole story. In general I follow my urges with a bit of caution on food. All my life I have been a meat eater and had my first salad at 18. Not really a good diet maybe but at 77, it has served. My other dietary likes also are guided by what SEEMS like a good food in the moment with a sound bit of caution when I feel I am straying.

Sounds like your urinary incontinence is probably from a pelvic floor issue. I have a redundant, tortuous bowel and had urinary incontinence. My Dr. prescribed Pelvic Floor PT and that has helped immensely!

Hi Jayne,
Disclaimer: This is my experience going natural. I have used organic, integrative, functional, holistic Naturopathic doctor's advice along with my MD’s since the early 1980's. There is science in alternatives too. Because I work closely with my ND, he told me to study the Migrating Motor Complex and Osmotic Gradient and he bet that I would find what worked for me. I had a longer thank normal pipe that needed consistent moisture….

I have tried laxatives and they are not consistent and have side effects like bloating, etc. And all say for occasional use. They disrupt the system if take continuously. I liked a response from a co-redundant colon person: “It’s physical” so regular constipation suggestions may not work.

Last Dec the doc had me do non sedated colonoscopy. He could get through my colon as I watched on TV. I had had a baby years ago (natural and could stand pain) so figured I could stand it – it was no big deal. Most people in world don't get put out. Very interesting and it helped allow the scope to get through because I relaxed. No wonder I had been constipation on and off starting in my teens. I’m now in my early 70’s.

OptiMag and K2+Potassium are great supps. I take them when I go to bed and once if I get up to pee. Be sure to eat prunes, winter squash, sweet potatoes, rhubarb etc in your diet. I like to grind 2T chia, T of sesame seeds and 2 T flax seeds, then soak in prune juice overnight. Take half in the morning and half at night. Throw sugar out, processed and refined foods. Drink lots of water starting with a quart of hot water in the morning - boyscouts. I start my day with regularity for BM. Coffee and Smooth Move are my back ups. I don't like coffee and never have drunk it much but it usually works for me in a pinch. Thankfully I only need coffee a few times a month.

Research of biological processes that take place in our gut is helpful:
- Migrating Motor complex which is the electroactivity in the GI tract during meals and fasting
- Osmotic gradient. If too much water is pulled into the colon, diarrhea results. If not enough water is pulled into the colon constipation results. Balance of minerals is important. Magnesium, potassium and sodium brings water into the colon. I have found balancing these help prevent constipated. I have to watch my calcium intake because it tends to encourage constipation. Calcium carbonate seems to be the most constipating. I depend on blood work from time to time to make sure my minerals are balanced.
It took me a little over 4 months to be regular and wow is it great. Good luck you can do it, @farmersmith

Good luck @katey122, I found that working through the worry of always being constipated helped me too. Relaxation along with good physical activity helps and PT to learn best sitting and breathing. Also knowing coffee and smooth move are handy back ups for me helps me relax. My ND's words, "it is a condition that will need continuous intervention." It needs our attention even when we figure out our best regularity plan. The reality again is we have a longer than average pipe with proper osmotic gradient or moisture so blockage doesn't happen.
To health and regularity,
@farmersmith

Please sign in or register to post a reply.