Radium223 (Xofigo) treatment for stage four prostate cancer

Posted by norske46 @norske46, Oct 27, 2021

I am about to start treatment with radium 223. Has any one out there used this particular treatment? If so, what side effects have you experienced? How effective has iy been for you? Thanks for your help.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Prostate Cancer Support Group.

@norske46

@digger: Thanks Colleen for bringing me in for this discussion. I began my radium223 treatments in November 2021. I ultimately had five of six projected treatments. Prior to and during the radium223 treatment I was on enzalutimide, having used bicalutimide first. I also had eligard injections every six months since March 2019 and zolodronic acid infusions every three months since early 2019. I had 44 radiation treatments in 2019. My PSA varied from a start of 541 got down to 2.2 during radiation (perhaps a false reading) and then began to rise again. Frankly I have lost track of when it rose and when it hit a high of 1131.
The radium223 treatment had very positive impact on the cancer but with the significant side effects of low blood counts. During treatment I received several blood and platelet transfusions. A blood marrow biopsy in February 2022 resulted in a decision to go to a docetaxel chemo treatment. The blood count side effects continued throughout the chemo treatment. We did five of six treatments and then we stopped that treatment. Since then (about May of this year) my PSA went up to 1013 or so. Now we are looking for the next step. I had a PSMA PET with F18 isotope yesterday. And will get the results on Monday. One option on the table is Lu177 treatment but time will tell.
So, as for the impact of the Radium223, I would say it helped hold the cancer in check but with the side effect of compromised blood counts at all levels. Hemoglobin, white cells,
neutrophiles,, and platelets.
As you begin this treatment please keep a close eye on your counts. Don't let them get out of hand. I think this is a good treatment but, in my case, the side effects were significant.
I hope this long-winded response is helpful to some degree. In so far as possible, stay positive and stay patient. This is a long journey but all we can do is educate ourselves as best possible and stay involved in our treatment plan. Ask questions, get answers and keep pushing forward. If radium223 does not work. Look for something else. There are many options. Keep looking for the next step.

Good luck

Jump to this post

Thanks I m From Ohio I go to Cleveland Clinic after 3 cycles of chemo they tested and said everything looks good but I need to be on chemo the rest of my life or till I can’t tolerate it,I had 5th cycle on November 4, we left Cleveland drove to Florida we r snow birds I met my new Dr at Moffitt Cancer Center he says to go off chemo and is starting Xofigo in December my problem is my dr in Cleveland says to get Xofigo you have to have bone pain I have none the hormone treatment is working the cancer should be stable the new aggressive spot found in July should be stable to so what is the Xofigo going to do I think this treatment should be used later on, my doctor in Cleveland finally agreed with it he talk to a colleague from the office in Cleveland now he said the doctor I have is a really good doctor so he said to go ahead with it when I read some pretty nasty stuff at least it’ll get me off of chemo and let my body come back to normal for a while so we’re gonna try it I was just wondering anybody else has had it out of the side effects were and what I need to watch out for sorry to hear about yours you make mine sound like a mild case good luck with it thanks for replying Dave

Dave, I did not have bone pain to start the radium223 treatment. I am being treated at the Des Moines Veterans Administration hospital my an oncologist who works closely with Mayo Rochester. I have great confidence to in human his knowledge. As I said, I hope to know more about next steps Monday. I keep telling myself to be a patient patient. Some days it's not easy. Will tryto update next week. Norske

@norske46

@digger: Thanks Colleen for bringing me in for this discussion. I began my radium223 treatments in November 2021. I ultimately had five of six projected treatments. Prior to and during the radium223 treatment I was on enzalutimide, having used bicalutimide first. I also had eligard injections every six months since March 2019 and zolodronic acid infusions every three months since early 2019. I had 44 radiation treatments in 2019. My PSA varied from a start of 541 got down to 2.2 during radiation (perhaps a false reading) and then began to rise again. Frankly I have lost track of when it rose and when it hit a high of 1131.
The radium223 treatment had very positive impact on the cancer but with the significant side effects of low blood counts. During treatment I received several blood and platelet transfusions. A blood marrow biopsy in February 2022 resulted in a decision to go to a docetaxel chemo treatment. The blood count side effects continued throughout the chemo treatment. We did five of six treatments and then we stopped that treatment. Since then (about May of this year) my PSA went up to 1013 or so. Now we are looking for the next step. I had a PSMA PET with F18 isotope yesterday. And will get the results on Monday. One option on the table is Lu177 treatment but time will tell.
So, as for the impact of the Radium223, I would say it helped hold the cancer in check but with the side effect of compromised blood counts at all levels. Hemoglobin, white cells,
neutrophiles,, and platelets.
As you begin this treatment please keep a close eye on your counts. Don't let them get out of hand. I think this is a good treatment but, in my case, the side effects were significant.
I hope this long-winded response is helpful to some degree. In so far as possible, stay positive and stay patient. This is a long journey but all we can do is educate ourselves as best possible and stay involved in our treatment plan. Ask questions, get answers and keep pushing forward. If radium223 does not work. Look for something else. There are many options. Keep looking for the next step.

Good luck

Jump to this post

I had so many medication s all
With significant side effects I cannot go through any more. I have significant pain due to orthopedic issues as well as cancer in hips rib’s shoulders . I just want pain relief ass pain is terrible.excuse my grammar as arthritis is in my hands . Thank. you

I know from where you come. I barely made it home fromy American Legion meeting last night. Bed rest was n6 only relief. At least I feel better today.

L2 lumbar nuked 1 inch out Zolodex psa 1,2 but now after 1 12 years rising to 5,23

getting bone scan next week and ct scan

@lleecc

I am stage four prostate cancer too, I am being treated at Smilow Cancer Hospital. My treatment sounds nothing like yours. Today I begin radiation treatment for a lesion on my pelvis. Hope things go well for you!

Jump to this post

L2 was intensely radiated Took out 1 inch cancer 4 years after 40 sets or radiation on prostate

I am sensitive so Zolodex is working but Stage 4 controllable for now 78

I’m going to start on Xofigo can anyone that has had Xofigo comment I have stage four metatastic prostate cancer had radiation,just finished 5 chemo treatments thanks

@digger

I’m going to start on Xofigo can anyone that has had Xofigo comment I have stage four metatastic prostate cancer had radiation,just finished 5 chemo treatments thanks

Jump to this post

@digger. here's the link to the discussion about Xofigo (radium 223):
– Radium223 (Xofigo) treatment for stage four prostate cancer https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/radium223-treatment-for-stage-four-prostate-cancer/

@lleecc

I am stage four prostate cancer too, I am being treated at Smilow Cancer Hospital. My treatment sounds nothing like yours. Today I begin radiation treatment for a lesion on my pelvis. Hope things go well for you!

Jump to this post

Same as you, had radiation take out 3.5 cm of cancer from L2 lumbar Back on zolodex pSA 1.2 but after covid 5th shot went up to 6.6 Now we learn wait 3 moths to do PSA after a covid shot

@melcanada

Same as you, had radiation take out 3.5 cm of cancer from L2 lumbar Back on zolodex pSA 1.2 but after covid 5th shot went up to 6.6 Now we learn wait 3 moths to do PSA after a covid shot

Jump to this post

Did the Covid shot affect your PSA?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.