mycobacteria

Posted by loyd1230 @loyd1230, Oct 12, 2011

This is a lung condition my wife apparently caught in Nevada. It is like tuberculosis but is not contagious. It has flair ups and causes coughs and shortness of breath,and can be life threatening. Anyone know anything about this disease.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the MAC & Bronchiectasis Support Group.

@irene5

I am a 67 year old woman who was diagnosed almost a year ago with MAC through a bronchoscopy. I started not feeling well in 2014 and decided to retire from teaching after having taught since 1971. This was a difficult decision and when I started losing weight my doctor thought maybe I was depressed about retiring. My body aches and flu like symptoms were attributed to fibromyalgia even though I don't think I have the trigger points. I also was losing all my teeth and had to have implants. I am not normally a depressed person. Thankfully my son in law who is a Gyno sent me for a CT scan which showed the MAC, and consequent bronchoscopy confirmed it. I have been to infectious disease doctors at UMASS and here in Tennessee where we recently moved. I started on the treatment which just about killed me, so I stopped. I have no quality of life. I weigh barely 80 pounds as I have no appetite. I have ten children and eleven grand babies, and all I want is to feel better so I can "live." I don't know where or how I got this. One of my children swears it was the dentist office. A friend wonders about all the trips to China and having two children who were treated for TB because of Bcg. I guess it really doesn't matter. I am sick everyday, but am also grateful I have gotten this far. My mom and aunt died of lung cancer. None of us smoked. Personally, I think it's all genetically linked. Thank you for giving me a place to vent. My husband of almost 50 years has sarcoidosis! Irene

Jump to this post

@myerskaren, Hello Karen. We haven't heard from you in awhile. You weren't doing so well last Sept. Were you able to get good medical help? I am hoping so. Hugs, Terri

Please sign in or register to post a reply.