My experience with Small Fiber Neuropathy
Hi there. Thank you to all the people who support this forum.
I believe I have Small Fiber Neuropathy. It's been a struggle to get doctors to believe something is wrong. I have one now that believes me but believes but this seems to be all new information for her. I met with neurologists and they said I was fine. I passed all their normal tests and they seem to imply it was psychological. I'm still trying to get tested and get an official diagnosis. It's possible I'm wrong but given the symptoms I have it seems unlikely.
I was a drinker for years. I brewed beer and drank daily. I also have had high cholesterol for many years. The drinking certainly affected the cholesterol. A couple of years ago I started getting very sharp stabbing pains in my toes in the evening. I can't say if it was when I was drinking or not because I know these symptoms are more common at night and that's when I drank. I started to get pins and needles shortly after mostly in my feet and occasionally in my hands. I would get a stabbing pain in my thigh and foot at the same time.
A few other notes:
1. I have impaired fasting glucose in the pre-diabetic range.
2. I've had high cholesterol for many years. It's getting better with diet and exercise.
3. History of alcohol use. I've almost entirely quick alcohol. I've had a couple of drinks in that last couple of weeks but I may quit entirely.
4. I haven't found much that helps except for reducing alcohol but lately even that doesn't seem to help.
5. It's my perception that stress increases the symptoms.
6. Exercise seems to help. Even just moving around. Switching to a standing desk as well although I'm not sure.
I'm mostly just sharing to see if there's anyone who can benefit or help me. I'm doing a lot of reading right now and don't have many conclusions.