Mayo Clinic's Fibromyalgia Clinic

Posted by Flower Lady @flowerlady, Apr 6, 2012

Has anyone been to the Fibromyalgia Clinic at Mayo? My 21 year old daughter is scheduled to go in May and we are wondering if anyone found it helpful? My daughters fibro is very severe and so far the medications we have tried have not helped.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Fibromyalgia Support Group.

Hi Darcy, welcome to Connect. Here is information about the Pain Rehabilitation Clinic at Mayo Clinic’s 3 campuses: Florida, Arizona and Minnesota http://www.mayoclinic.org/departments-centers/pain-rehabilitation-center/overview You can call to find out more information and to schedule an appointment http://mayocl.in/1mtmR63.
Additionally, I hope that fellow members like @dawn_giacabazi @edriaragosin and @pheefoe will share their experiences at Mayo's Pain Rehab Clinic.

You may also be interested in joining this conversation started by @clownscrytoo
- fibromyalgia pain https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/fibromyalgia-pain-28e002/
Darcy, how does fibromyalgia affect you?

@chbeck769

I'm scheduled for it on Monday. I was diagnosed back in 1997 and have tried ever med, pt and even thearpy possible but I'm trying to stay positive. Any one had any helpful recommendations for this clinic?

Jump to this post

I agree Lyrica wasn't a good medicine for me Dr.put me on Cymbalta and what a difference It helps me plus I use Fibro Malic

@pheefoe

I went through Mayo's Fibromyalgia Clinic about 3+ years ago. My condition has become more chronic, and sometimes overwhelming. I have tried the three FDA approved meds, without much success What is the latest information on this syndrome? Would there be any advantage if I revisited your Clinic? Thank you.

Jump to this post

Hi @ @nancywandamoore I see you posted about 2 years ago. If you are still posting on the Mayo Fibro board, did you gain weight on Lyrica? Thank you, Regards Dorie

Hi, newby here.....I have recently been diagnosed (kinda sorta) with fibromyalgia by Mayo in Jacksonville, FL. The pain doctor there suggested a 3 week in-patient "study", diagnosis testing or whatever.....they would take me off all meds, run daily tests, etc. Wondering if anyone else has done this? Thanks for any info you can give me on it.
Judi

Have not been to clinic , which Mayo campus is it located

My suggestion is, the more support you can give her he better, soo many people don’t believe us and this creates more stress and suffering

@jharsh

I spent 8 days at the Rochester Clinic in 2015. This included a variety of tests, fibro diagnosis and a 2 day class on self management. It was extremely overwhelming. I can tell you that they will never recommend meds as primary treatment and you will absolutely have to manage the condition yourself. This is their approach and truly the best way to be as healthy as possible. I talked to a friend that just went through the class and found it extremely helpful. It is not the end all, rather the tools needed to manage better. I live 7 hours from the clinic and opted to pursue an appointment with complementary and integrative medicine. It was an hour spent getting some advice and also adding to the resources I need going forward. I'm still learning and they are extremely helpful to identify solid options for me to pursue. I'm building a team of professionals around me at home with their direction. I wouldn't hesitate to go to the class and am considering myself.

Jump to this post

Can you share what doctor you seen? I am scheduled with Maria Poirier which some of the reviews online were not good. I am nervous about this visit and hoping to at least put a reason to why i have constant pains if it is fibro. I do not want to be pushed onto meds if possible some doctors are quick to push medications vs therapy's.

@lioness

I agree Lyrica wasn't a good medicine for me Dr.put me on Cymbalta and what a difference It helps me plus I use Fibro Malic

Jump to this post

Did a Dr suggest Fibro Malic or someone else? Do you purchase this on Amazon?

@ripley

Jump to this post

@ripleyYes it's on Amazon but they are out of stock for now so I went to fibro malic website .It helps a lot I've been on this product for years.

@ripley

Jump to this post

@ripley Dr. Did not recommend this most Dr,s don't believe in vitamins and herbs but I've studied them for years ,retired nurse

@fishintime

Can you share what doctor you seen? I am scheduled with Maria Poirier which some of the reviews online were not good. I am nervous about this visit and hoping to at least put a reason to why i have constant pains if it is fibro. I do not want to be pushed onto meds if possible some doctors are quick to push medications vs therapy's.

Jump to this post

Which Mayo campus will you be going to? I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia at Jacksonville, but I've also been seen at Rochester. My take on it is that Mayo has a lot of resources, is very chronic-pain aware, but also it's not perfect and they have many of the same challenges that any large academic medical system has...and a lot of it comes down to the provider or department. I've had both really great experiences and also not-so-great experiences.

I can say that Mayo's approach to chronic pain doesn't emphasize medication, if they can confirm you have Fibromyalgia or a similiar chronic pain syndrome. They do push their 3-week chronic pain rehabilitation program pretty hard (and there are many here on Connect that can share their experiences with it), and the strategies and program are really successful if it's the right fit. It wasn't, for me, though, and ended up being able to put together a plan with my care team at home, though there's still many things I'm still working on.

I was at Rochester a long time ago though, so I'm not sure if they have other resources now like what they have a Jacksonville, which offers a 2-day program on Fibromyalgia.

If you can, I'd suggest requesting a consult with Integrative Medicine at Mayo. I requested one at Jacksonville and I was really happy I did. I'm not sure what's offered at Rochester if that's where you're going, but they offer acupuncture, there's a health coach, a mind-body counselor to basically help you put together a holistic plan, and the integrative physician I saw was able to make specific evidence-based recommendations for supplements.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.