Has anyone gotten or heard of the new treatment LU-PSMA-617?

Posted by firespooks @firespooks, Feb 15, 2022

Has anyone gotten or heard of the new treatment LU-PSMA-617? When will this be readily be available? What is the long term outcome ? Thank You, Stephen

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Prostate Cancer Support Group.

I'm glad you started a topic on this new treatment Lu-PSMA-617, @firespooks. @norske46 refers to it in this discussion starting here: https://connect.mayoclinic.org/comment/648392/

Mayo Clinic is conducting a study on the use of 177Lu-PSMA-617 for the treatment of metastatic prostate cancer. The study is expected to be completed in August 2022. See more here: https://www.mayo.edu/research/clinical-trials/cls-20438460

Is this treatment available as an option for you, Stephen?

My oncologist mentioned it to me on my last visit. On on my second recurrence. So far my PSA is climbing slowly. I’d be willing to try this treatment when it became available and Medicare would pay for it.

Stephen, my oncologist talked about it last fall but it has not yet received FDA approval. I understand it is designed for advanced metastasized castrate resistant prostate cancer. (I am three years into this struggle and have used bicalutimide, enxalutamide, lupron, zolodronic acid and current I am receiving radium223.) It is along road and Lu177 may be the next treatment option.

How long are you in this struggle? I assume you have metastatic cancer and have exhausted or nearly exhausted other treatment options. Good luck. Stay positive. Stay strong.

@norske46

Stephen, my oncologist talked about it last fall but it has not yet received FDA approval. I understand it is designed for advanced metastasized castrate resistant prostate cancer. (I am three years into this struggle and have used bicalutimide, enxalutamide, lupron, zolodronic acid and current I am receiving radium223.) It is along road and Lu177 may be the next treatment option.

How long are you in this struggle? I assume you have metastatic cancer and have exhausted or nearly exhausted other treatment options. Good luck. Stay positive. Stay strong.

Jump to this post

I’m on my second recurrence. My PSA is slowly rising. I am hoping that this would be a new alternative to ADT. don’t like what I keep hearing about the side effects.

The Memorial Sloan-Kettering website mentions that 177Lu-PSMA-617 was FDA-approved in March 2022.

@lferrydennis

The Memorial Sloan-Kettering website mentions that 177Lu-PSMA-617 was FDA-approved in March 2022.

Jump to this post

I was told by my oncologist that you can’t use that medication until the Hormone Therapy quit working.

Its a final solution to qualify

I think that is the problem with most of the newer treatments. The older(cheaper) ones have to be ineffective. By that time the body is weakened by the traditional treatments so much that I would think it would make the newer stuff less effective.

From Sloan Kettering, John P. Mulhall, MD Tuesday, October 8, 2019. Despite the intention to reduce testosterone temporarily, androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) may lower it for prolonged periods in patients over the age of 65 or those who take ADT for more than six months, according to the results of our recent retrospective study. Given the range of duration for the use of ADT and the adverse health events associated with low testosterone (low T), clinicians should discuss these findings with patients before initiating ADT.The odds of remaining castrate after two years were almost four times higher for patients who received ADT for more than six months and more than three times higher for those with baseline TT levels below 400 ng/dL. (1)

Testosterone is involved in many bodily functions, including physical, sexual, metabolic, and cognitive processes. Persistently low T levels are associated with significant health risks and a lower quality of life. Adverse effects include the loss of bone mineral density, (7)glycemic control issues, (8)lipid abnormalities, (9)cardiovascular events, and cognitive dysfunction. (10)

@robmohio

From Sloan Kettering, John P. Mulhall, MD Tuesday, October 8, 2019. Despite the intention to reduce testosterone temporarily, androgen deprivation therapy (ADT) may lower it for prolonged periods in patients over the age of 65 or those who take ADT for more than six months, according to the results of our recent retrospective study. Given the range of duration for the use of ADT and the adverse health events associated with low testosterone (low T), clinicians should discuss these findings with patients before initiating ADT.The odds of remaining castrate after two years were almost four times higher for patients who received ADT for more than six months and more than three times higher for those with baseline TT levels below 400 ng/dL. (1)

Testosterone is involved in many bodily functions, including physical, sexual, metabolic, and cognitive processes. Persistently low T levels are associated with significant health risks and a lower quality of life. Adverse effects include the loss of bone mineral density, (7)glycemic control issues, (8)lipid abnormalities, (9)cardiovascular events, and cognitive dysfunction. (10)

Jump to this post

I believe this. After 42 months of intermittent ADT in last 8 years this time I am not recovering like I did earlier.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.