Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@artist01
“See you at your 120th!”
Now that’s what I call positive thinking!!!
Atta girl!!
We’ll give Methuselah a run for his money yet!!!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1. Yes, we WILL give Methuselah a run for his money! @imallears, plans to join us then too, as long as her Cirque du Soleil tour doesn't interfere. 🤣

@jakedduck1

@becsbuddy
So it’s raining. I don’t think you’ll melt. Umbrellas have been around since Egyptian times. You might want to pick one up. I think It’s fun to walk in the rain.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I can just see me now—a dog leash in one hand, two walking sticks, a doggie bag, AND an umbrella! How about a selfie or video, too!
And its not just raining, its pouring with thunder and lightning! And a few cats and dogs!

@becsbuddy
Maybe if you were an Octopus you could accomplish all of it. I think @jakedduck1 meant a light sprinkle. Speaking of sprinkle , I have walked into the path of a sprinkler while on my phone when out walking. You know….those people who water 80% of the sidewalk when they’re on lol.

FL Mary

@becsbuddy

@jakedduck1 I can just see me now—a dog leash in one hand, two walking sticks, a doggie bag, AND an umbrella! How about a selfie or video, too!
And its not just raining, its pouring with thunder and lightning! And a few cats and dogs!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy
Sounds like an exciting walk. Yeah a video would be great!!! Sounds like you should go for a swim instead. I didn’t realize you had walking sticks.
I forget you have actual weather back there.
I live where it mists or occasionally might sprinkle. There was a front page article with a headline saying “Major storm hits valley.” We received 25 hundreds of an inch.
Jake

@imallears

@becsbuddy
Maybe if you were an Octopus you could accomplish all of it. I think @jakedduck1 meant a light sprinkle. Speaking of sprinkle , I have walked into the path of a sprinkler while on my phone when out walking. You know….those people who water 80% of the sidewalk when they’re on lol.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
If she was an Octopus she wouldn’t have a chance to walk. You would of had her for lunch.
Jake

@imallears

@jakedduck1
Oh now you made my mouth water.

FL Mary

Jump to this post

@imallears
Your mouth would water if I mentioned any type of varmint regardless if it swam, crawled, grazed or slithered.
I have a friend in Africa and he really enjoys eating monkey. Thankfully it’s illegal to import into the United States or I’d order you one. I hope you never go to the zoo or you’ll have a feast and clean the place out.
Bon appétit,
Jake

@sueinmn

Good morning - @artist01 gives us a very good reminder - walking aids and medical appliances need to be chosen and fitted for each individual. This is best done by someone with the proper training - like in a medical supply store.

If you have one of those insurances that gets an Rx for one from your doc and just sends it to you, make sure you get a PT appointment for a proper fitting and lessons on safe use, especially going up and down curbs, stairs, etc on your own!
Sue

Jump to this post

@artist01 and @sueinmn Thanks both of you for this good advice. I did a google search to find a medical supply company near me and will visit them to test drive different models of walkers and have them adjust whatever I get to fit me. I'm so grateful to have the collective wisdom and experiences of so many people on Mayo Connect to tap into. They say it takes a village to raise a child; I think it takes a village to help older people navigate getting older. Thanks again! Nancy

@nla4625

@artist01 and @sueinmn Thanks both of you for this good advice. I did a google search to find a medical supply company near me and will visit them to test drive different models of walkers and have them adjust whatever I get to fit me. I'm so grateful to have the collective wisdom and experiences of so many people on Mayo Connect to tap into. They say it takes a village to raise a child; I think it takes a village to help older people navigate getting older. Thanks again! Nancy

Jump to this post

@nla4625. HI Nancy. I'm so pleased you decided to seek out the expertise of a medical supply store! They'll do a great job of fitting you up with the most appropriate walker. I've got the neXus brand, which seems superior to some of the brands a lot of my friends have. It's extremely well made - rubber wheels rather than plastic, great brakes appropriately positioned for easy access, the ability to fold in half simply by pulling up a sturdy rubber grip on the seat, (thus, so easy to load into a vehicle, etc.), light weight to lift into a vehicle, a sturdy seat to sit on and rest, (even when waiting in long lineups).
Good luck with your quest! Laurie

Hi Laurie, I really appreciated getting this list of features I should look for along with the brand you recommend. You've made my quest quite a lot easier! Thank you! Nancy

Please sign in or register to post a reply.