Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@ess77

@jakedduck1 Yep! Really good, as is gator. When you get a chance to try either of these delicacies, do so! Hope all is well your way, Leonard. Blessings, elizabeth

Jump to this post

@ess77
I agree alagator is good. Seemed a bit tough but that could’ve been because the way it was prepared. I’m looking forward to having rattlesnake.
Jake

@becsbuddy

@artist01 Well, we ended up with 20”. Today, the sun is out and it looks beautiful! Our son, who lives in the “snow capital” of Colorado, got all of 4”. Will try for a walk today!
Photo of the snow and out street. Haven’t ventured out yet. But sun is out so it should be warm!

Jump to this post

That a gorgeous picture, if I have ever seen one!!
It’s still snowing here and the wind is starting to blow it around, ugh!

@ess77

@fiesty76 You're a hoot! A little nudge to try the round-up and a touch of rattlesnake. The only snake I've eaten, but it was delicious, fiesty. And, they are havested for our protection, so consuming them is appropriate, in my thinking. I'm close to not eating animals, but salmon and I love fried catfish.....southern thing and only fried I eat are catfish, okra, sweet potatoe fries. I bet the round-up is interesting....love your walking testimonies....blessings,my friend. elizabeth

Jump to this post

How about some hush puppies to go with that meal!!

@artist01

@becsbuddy Oooh, beautiful snow picture of your beautiful street, Becky! It snowed here yesterday, so no walking, but today is gorgeous at 41 F and sunny with no wind! A great walk; broke my record at 1.64 km, which my Alexa just informed me is a bit over a mile. 1.6 km in a mile. I'm so happeeee! Happy trails. Laurie

Jump to this post

You are doing it, Laurie, keep it up!!! Yippee for you!

@becsbuddy

@artist01 Well, we ended up with 20”. Today, the sun is out and it looks beautiful! Our son, who lives in the “snow capital” of Colorado, got all of 4”. Will try for a walk today!
Photo of the snow and out street. Haven’t ventured out yet. But sun is out so it should be warm!

Jump to this post

beautiful snow!

@fiesty76

@sueinmn, It sounds like absolute bliss to possibly see eagles on a walk! Several years ago, my daughter and I took a boat trip near Fredricksburg to catch a glimpse of nesting eagles. What an amazing sight!

Glad it is beginning to warm in your area and the snowcover is melting with the help of a "cleansing rainfall".

On a neighborhood walk Sat, I'd just gone about 2 blocks when a sudden cloud burst drenched me! Once home again, my yard and drive were as dry as a bone. Incredible how fickle "mother rain" can be. Doesn't she know how much a good soaky rain would be for our overly dry area????

Smiles to all as more can begin more regular walks now that warmer days are ahead.

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 We have so many nesting eagles here. They are so awesome and majestic. I have an artist friend in Calgary who walks the Bow River every day and sends me superb close-up photos on Facebook of a "Mr. and Mrs." she follows very closely. They recognize her now and just go about their daily business, with no fear of her presence close by. She's careful not to interfere, staying very still and quiet.

@jakedduck1

@ess77
I agree alagator is good. Seemed a bit tough but that could’ve been because the way it was prepared. I’m looking forward to having rattlesnake.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I'm not allowed to say Eeeeuw or Yuk anymore, but...

@becsbuddy

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy
Oh that is gorgeous! I am from NY originally and miss those scenes. I wish it would snow there just once lol. We have so many sunny days (not complaining) that we really enjoy a rainy gloomy day where we can just veg out on the sofa and binge Netflix.
I would love to be a FL snow bird but everyone moved down here.

FL Mary

@jakedduck1

@ess77
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1
I can’t believe I am reading this Leonard....you had Gator and are looking forward to rattlesnake? Well I am impressed!. Do you want me to send you any of each! I see snakes on my walks and can just go down to the water to spot a gator....they are small ones near me...small is about 3 feet or so.

FL Mary

@imallears
Guess my tastebuds aren’t so unsophisticated after all.
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.