Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

Temps should be warming up slowly - hoping it’s not icy if I get back to walking this week!

@artist01

Thankyou @jude07. I've been silent the past three days because we've been in the midst of this Polar Vortex, with below zero temperatures (which I can tolerate) but snow, snow, snow. I don't have snow tires on my walker! 😥
I really miss my daily walks. The sidewalks haven't even been cleared of snow, so it might be a while 'til I can get out there again. As well, I have just been put on a blood pressure medication and a blood thinner, so it's Adjustment Time for the body (again). Not feeling so great right now. This, too, shall pass. 😔 The weather is supposed to be better tomorrow, with "snow and rain", if that could be called better. Lol. Warmer though, so the snow will melt. Under all this manure, there must be a pony somewhere!! 😊
My best to all. Laurie

Jump to this post

@artist01, Thank you, Laurie, for the much needed chuckles this morning. Whaaat? No snow tires on your walker?...Wellll that is just disgraceful!!! LOL

Caught in the timed "rolling blackouts" as my community, like so many others throughout the country, endure the hazards of sub-zero temps, snow and ice, I was very frustrated with me-self yesterday to see my cable provider bill due in a couple of days. Had "planned" to take the ever increasing charges to the local provider office to request modified charges for my "bundle"...tv, internet and landline. Weather intervened before I got there. So bundled to the brim, I let the car heat before snail-slug creeping to a nearby p.o. drop box.

Having thrived and survived 2 winters in Duluth,MN, I "know" how to drive on ice and snow but it was amazing to watch other west TX drivers try to navigate our uncleared residential and larger thoroughfares. Considered meself a well deserving hero for returning home safely despite the crazy drivers. Yep! Didn't find the pony under the manure but enjoyed the victory with two large mugs of spiced tea. Smiles

@funcountess

Hi,
Stay in and walk around your house. My grandfather many years ago in Chicago took his walker outside, and fell in the snow and broke a hip. My good friend called me yesterday and said her 96 year old dad fell on the sidewalk in light snow and was in emergency surgery for a broken hip.
Seniors need to be especially careful.
Glad I’m in California.

Jump to this post

Good idea, @funcountess! A neighbor called laughing after she "witnessed" me backing my car out of garage and down driveway to retrieve mail from my curbside mailbox. Always happy to provide a smile!

@sueinmn

I'm afraid -20F will keep me indoors again - but it's supposed to get better this week. Going to get out the yoga mat and do some stretching.Just heard from my winter neighbors, who are hunkered down in South Texas at 23F with no electricity - only the few with campers or generators have heat right now, so they are doubling & tripling up in tiny spaces. (Bye-bye Covid precautions) My cousins in Dallas have to leave their water taps all running to avoid frozen pipes. I never thought I would hear this, but my husband says he's happy to be in Minnesota, where we can handle this weather.
Stay warm & safe everyone!
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn, Yes, TX is woefully unprepared for the arctic weather and I've also been remembering how life in your state and others are so much better equipped and prepared for the severe weather. So many heart wrenching media reports of desperate attempts for heat and the deaths caused from carbon monoxide poisoning. People are taking extreme and often dangerous measures to stay warm in these unheard of sub-zero temps in my part of the state. Who would have considered weather as another possible super spreader event but it is happening.

A neighbor called Sunday night to say that the furnace once cycling off would not automatically restart. I immediately told her to grab their toothbrushes and spend the night in my guest room. Also asked if they'd tried unplugging and re-plugging the heavy electrical cord for the furnace which had worked for me one time. She called back to say that it had worked and they would "stay put" unless it failed to work later. Although Monday was a holiday, they were able to get their ac/heat repairman out and he corrected the problem.

Although I've had both Moderna vaccs and she'd had one (don't know about her partner), I readily admit that I was concerned after hanging up about covid exposure. My home is large and I know they have also adhered closely to CDC guidelines but still the thought was worrisome.

Even with the outdoor faucets wrapped, the slow faucet drips and open cabinets in bathrooms, two friends called saying that their bathroom pipes near outside walls had frozen. Local news is now reporting frozen pipes all over town and cautions about flooding from the thaw that may start at week's end. Sending best to all to stay warm and dry, safe and well during this difficult weather period.

@fiesty76

@sueinmn, Yes, TX is woefully unprepared for the arctic weather and I've also been remembering how life in your state and others are so much better equipped and prepared for the severe weather. So many heart wrenching media reports of desperate attempts for heat and the deaths caused from carbon monoxide poisoning. People are taking extreme and often dangerous measures to stay warm in these unheard of sub-zero temps in my part of the state. Who would have considered weather as another possible super spreader event but it is happening.

A neighbor called Sunday night to say that the furnace once cycling off would not automatically restart. I immediately told her to grab their toothbrushes and spend the night in my guest room. Also asked if they'd tried unplugging and re-plugging the heavy electrical cord for the furnace which had worked for me one time. She called back to say that it had worked and they would "stay put" unless it failed to work later. Although Monday was a holiday, they were able to get their ac/heat repairman out and he corrected the problem.

Although I've had both Moderna vaccs and she'd had one (don't know about her partner), I readily admit that I was concerned after hanging up about covid exposure. My home is large and I know they have also adhered closely to CDC guidelines but still the thought was worrisome.

Even with the outdoor faucets wrapped, the slow faucet drips and open cabinets in bathrooms, two friends called saying that their bathroom pipes near outside walls had frozen. Local news is now reporting frozen pipes all over town and cautions about flooding from the thaw that may start at week's end. Sending best to all to stay warm and dry, safe and well during this difficult weather period.

Jump to this post

@feisty76, so very sorry for all the anguish the frigid temperatures have brought you and your neighbors and friends. Stay warm, and keep watching for that pony! All my best, Laurie

@wyngnit

I had my 2nd Pfizer with some fatigue and some leg pain but a easy inside wait as the line was so short our weather (Ca.) Was windy and 58 this week. Trees came down. Branches everywhere on cars and houses so glad more are vaccinated even though we still have to be careful

Jump to this post

Congratulations, @wyngnit, on having your 2nd Pfizer vacc! My 2nd Moderna also produced some fatigue but I was sooo happy to have the added protection. Due to the arctic weather conditions in my state, vaccines in my area are being canceled and rescheduled.

We were thrilled that my 15 yr old grandson was approved for a Pfizer trial recently. Then disappointed to be told that he was denied because of the distance between Boulder and Albuquerque. My daughter is looking for other trials to see if he can get approved.

Absolutely wonderful that more vaccs and more people are becoming eligible for these death preventing vaccinations!

Oh @artist01, I know the feeling. Our town is quite small and most roads aren't even pathed, much less plowed by the city. I have been snowed in for the past 4 days and my SUV is at the bottom of the hill because it would not make it up the mountain to my house. It's my own personal little snow white twilight zone. Luckily, the dog enjoys romping around in the vast blankets of snow up here, so that keeps me quite entertained! 🙂

@amandaa

Oh @artist01, I know the feeling. Our town is quite small and most roads aren't even pathed, much less plowed by the city. I have been snowed in for the past 4 days and my SUV is at the bottom of the hill because it would not make it up the mountain to my house. It's my own personal little snow white twilight zone. Luckily, the dog enjoys romping around in the vast blankets of snow up here, so that keeps me quite entertained! 🙂

Jump to this post

I hope you can stretch or paint your Snow White twilight zone, including your dog, while you all stowed away. Be safe!

@fiesty76

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 Terrible what Texas is going through All those things you talked about in wrapping pipes outside and one thing I always did in Pa was let your cold water on just a trickle all during this espey at night .In Jan my furnace went out.I had gotten someone out next day he put a new furnace in heat finally yes. Had enough that's why I'm in CA Keep warm We also had a Karosen heater we used

@amandaa

Jump to this post

Thankyou Amanda. You and your dog are brave souls! Making the best of it!!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.