Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@artist01

It snowed last night! Brrr. S'posed to get a lot colder today. I'm GOING out right after lunch! Hardy Canadian! 💘

Jump to this post

@artist01 I had to take the dog for a walk earlier than our usual 10am. Luckily it’s not as cold here! 17degrees. But, after only 30”, the dog decided it was too cold, so he cried and we both hurried home! Yay!

@becsbuddy

@artist01 I had to take the dog for a walk earlier than our usual 10am. Luckily it’s not as cold here! 17degrees. But, after only 30”, the dog decided it was too cold, so he cried and we both hurried home! Yay!

Jump to this post

Good that you just got out, the fresh air does wonders! Stay warm and cozy!
I did my indoor workout with the temps still below zero, perhaps time to mix up a batch of cookies to warm up the kitchen and ..... well of course a couple to taste. Lol

@artist01. Hardy Canadian, I’d expect nothing less! Plus you’re on a roll now and your little journal of achievement will be nagging at you for a new entry. Be careful!! Lori.

@loribmt

@artist01. Hardy Canadian, I’d expect nothing less! Plus you’re on a roll now and your little journal of achievement will be nagging at you for a new entry. Be careful!! Lori.

Jump to this post

Get me unsubscribed from this
Gayle Kirkman

@lakelady

Get me unsubscribed from this
Gayle Kirkman

Jump to this post

@lakelady Hi Gayle. Let me help you get out of this conversation and others you don’t wish to follow.
If you go to the blue header box for this group, (look at the top of this page) you’ll see a notice at the bottom where it says; Following ~ with a blue plus sign next to it.
Click on the plus sign and you’ll get options on how you want messages managed. When the menu opens just select Unfollow. Don’t notify me about this anymore.
We hope you’ll continue to enjoy the community on Connect. But we know it’s easy to get caught up in a thread you no longer want to follow. This will work on any of the sites you visit. Lori.

Hi @lakelady, I have unsubscribed you from this discussion thread. Here's more information about setting your notification preferences:
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/get-started-on-connect/

Feel free to send me a message through the contact form if you need help setting your notification preferences to reduce email.
- Contact a moderator https://connect.mayoclinic.org/contact-a-community-moderator/

@becsbuddy

Jump to this post

Becky, you and your dog made laugh out loud with your scampering home with a "yay"! I had my 3 perimeter walk around the building for 19 minutes, but, ooooh, cold on the face with the wind. Tomorrow I will wear one of our hateful masks to keep my nose warm. Who knew we might grow to love them during the cold cruel winters!

@loribmt

@jakedduck1, Good morning, Leonard. Just popping in to say hi! Are we still all walking together? We have to keep motivated. But I have to say, being curled up with a good book in a warm nest is tough to leave to go walking! Not sure what the weather is like where you are but it was -27 this morning. I think my walkeze will be indoors today! Where will you walk?

Jump to this post

@loribmt
Well I’m with you in spirit. These California winters are brutal. It’s cold here 58°. But I’m exercising my jaw eating candy & cookies and thinking about having a piece of pumpkin pie. I’ll take out the garbage but I’m afraid that’s about the extent of my walk today. Hopefully I’ll do better tomorrow. I’m sorry to say I don't need retreads on my shoes.
Jake

@jakedduck1

@loribmt
Well I’m with you in spirit. These California winters are brutal. It’s cold here 58°. But I’m exercising my jaw eating candy & cookies and thinking about having a piece of pumpkin pie. I’ll take out the garbage but I’m afraid that’s about the extent of my walk today. Hopefully I’ll do better tomorrow. I’m sorry to say I don't need retreads on my shoes.
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I'm with you cold today rain tomorrow so indoors for me take care

@lioness

@jakedduck1 I'm with you cold today rain tomorrow so indoors for me take care

Jump to this post

@lioness
It’s raining here now. At least what Californians call rain. More like heavy mist or sprinkling. First time I ever saw real rain was in Texas. We had to pull over and stop.
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.