Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

105 degrees today 108 tomorrow. Not going to be cool early in the morning, 77 degree low
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 same here 72 last night to sleep didn't check for tonight yet but its still hot at 8p.m.

@lioness

@fiesty76 I miss d the post of peppermint oil ,what was it ,?

Jump to this post

@lioness, the post suggested adding a bit of peppermint oil to mask to ease difficulty breathing and shortness of breath when walking.

@lioness

@fiesty76 Send them over I,LL be waiting This is our summer Sept - Nov now

Jump to this post

@lioness, did the 1st ice cube shipment arrive on time??? Smiles. We've had record breaking heat in west Tx this yr and while new ice cubes are forming, Ive been known to resort to frozen juice pops and frozen blueberries. Enjoy the blueberries as a snack year round but have some remaining juice pops I can include with your next shipment. Stay well and out of the heat!

@sueinmn

Hi Judy - I have 3 spacers to use with my handheld inhaler. One resides in the bathroom drawer, is quite bulky & I called an OptiChamber by Respironics, another the Vortex. I really like them, but they aren't very portable. In my "go bag" with my inhaler & EpiPen, that goes everywhere with me is a homemade version I have had for years - a 6" piece of corrugated oxygen tubing from a respiratory therapist at the hospital, with a nebulizer mouthpeice on one end. I jam the inhaler into the other end to use it. Works quite well, actually. I think there are also devices called disposable spacers or microspacers that would serve this function.

Don't feel bad about stopping to rest on your walk! The whole point of this group is to get us all up and moving at our own pace. Two miles in 95F & humid weather is quite an accomplishment. Several of my walking routes have benches on them - either in parks, next to Little Libraries, or set out by neighbors along the lakefront or walking path. Yesterday I stopped at one to stretch, and the homeowner came out with a cold bottle of water for me and visited for a few minutes - how nice!

Keep walking!
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn, How very nice of the homeowner to share a cold bottle of water with you and visit for a few minutes! Our postman is pretty regular so I've been keeping a bottle of water in the freezer and dashing out to hand it to him on days when I see him coming.

@wisco50

That is horrible and heartbreaking! I am so sorry for your son and all the family. It must have been a smaller dog? I would be devastated. My three dogs are like my kids. ❤️🐾

Jump to this post

@lioness Sam was a lab. He must have thought the deer was there to play. Sam laid on his side and the deer stood up on its hind legs and pounced down several times.

@deborahfrick123

@lioness Sam was a lab. He must have thought the deer was there to play. Sam laid on his side and the deer stood up on its hind legs and pounced down several times.

Jump to this post

@Oh no how horrible that had to be for you to watch so sorry
On another subject our heat we have is draining I don't know how outdoor people are doing For our mailman I leave 2bottles of cold water in my mailbox for him as I live in a sr. building Here in Calif it is 106 over weekend and all week high 90,s the wildfires are the worst they,ve been here some people are starting them horrible sorry to go off subject

@deborahfrick123

Jump to this post

Such a sad ending for Sam and your family. Take care during these tender times.

@jakedduck1

105 degrees today 108 tomorrow. Not going to be cool early in the morning, 77 degree low
Jake

Jump to this post

jake you must be in Arizona or California.

@lioness

@Oh no how horrible that had to be for you to watch so sorry
On another subject our heat we have is draining I don't know how outdoor people are doing For our mailman I leave 2bottles of cold water in my mailbox for him as I live in a sr. building Here in Calif it is 106 over weekend and all week high 90,s the wildfires are the worst they,ve been here some people are starting them horrible sorry to go off subject

Jump to this post

That is wonderful, keep giving water. My sister's friend is a retired postal delivery person and the job does great damage to ones body. She has already had two hip replacements.

@rivergirl8243
Right you are. Central California
Jake

Please sign in or register to post a reply.