Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

Went out before it got to hot will do more this evening 🐱

@jakedduck1

@becsbuddy
I thought you only ate one. I thought that only one bit was was big talk!!!
Jake

Jump to this post

@jakedduck1 I did only eat one!! It was the I that @fiesty76 threw to me! You know I only eat one cookie!

Oh my goodness, all these talk about cookies and ice cream is too much for me. I haven't had either one of them for months!

@becsbuddy

@fiesty76 I caught it! Tastes good, too. Now, why are you making cookies? If I made some, I’d eat all of them and then my walking would be for nothing!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy, Oh, good it was a lucky toss! My dear friend's daughter is coming tomorrow for a visit from Denver. Chocolate chippers are his favorite and I've invited them for a snack party of three at my front yard table to celebrate her arrival. He has done so incredibly well following his precious one's death that this visit is going to do more wonders for him. And yes, he gets to take the majority of cookies home with him but I did have to sample and keep a few for later. You understand, right?

@mayofeb2020

Oh my goodness, all these talk about cookies and ice cream is too much for me. I haven't had either one of them for months!

Jump to this post

@mayofeb2020, Oh, you poor, poor baby! I have a few extra cookies I'll share. Smiles

@becsbuddy

@jakedduck1 I did only eat one!! It was the I that @fiesty76 threw to me! You know I only eat one cookie!

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy
Well I know you say you only eat one but I’m not sure exactly what that means. Maybe one a day although I don’t see how that could be possible maybe its one after each meal maybe its one an hour or maybe it’s one of those giant humongous cookies.
Like I said I wasn’t raised to doubt the word of a lady so what it is. The only question is how often do you eat that one cookie?

@mayofeb2020
“I haven't had either one of them for months!”
The only thing worse than no cookies or ice cream would be no candy and of course that’s unthinkable.
Jake

@lioness

@wisco How bout a root beer float or ice cream in a cherry coke

Jump to this post

@lioness, Haven't thought about a root beer float in years! I just happen to have a bottle of root beer bought for slow cooker fall apart pork loin. Now, if only the ice cream truck would come back by...I'll have money handy and waiting!

Yesterday I drove to a nearby park for my early walk. It was great because there were ducks and a string of babies following on the playa lake. One jogger went whizzing past me and only saw two other walkers but a change of scenery was a terrific boost. Need to start planning 1/park /week walk.

@fiesty76

@lioness, Haven't thought about a root beer float in years! I just happen to have a bottle of root beer bought for slow cooker fall apart pork loin. Now, if only the ice cream truck would come back by...I'll have money handy and waiting!

Yesterday I drove to a nearby park for my early walk. It was great because there were ducks and a string of babies following on the playa lake. One jogger went whizzing past me and only saw two other walkers but a change of scenery was a terrific boost. Need to start planning 1/park /week walk.

Jump to this post

@fiesty76. Your walk around the Lake reminds me years ago I was walking around a lake and saw some ducklings, I guess I got too close, a mama duck made a bee line towards me and nipped at my heel. It actually drew blood and really hurt!

I Monday I took the day off from walking, other than walking with the little boys to the local baseball field to run around. Yesterday it was 3 miles, including 30 minutes as fast as I could go. Today will be less exercise and more fun -- daughter and 2 little grandsons are coming for a neighborhood walk. We get to show Mom the climbing trees we found in the local park last week, and maybe get a look at the road crew working on the other side of the block. Have to keep things interesting!
Sue

@sueinmn

I Monday I took the day off from walking, other than walking with the little boys to the local baseball field to run around. Yesterday it was 3 miles, including 30 minutes as fast as I could go. Today will be less exercise and more fun -- daughter and 2 little grandsons are coming for a neighborhood walk. We get to show Mom the climbing trees we found in the local park last week, and maybe get a look at the road crew working on the other side of the block. Have to keep things interesting!
Sue

Jump to this post

Three miles is a really good stretch and now a day with grandchildren and family! That’s a feast of a good week thus far. It gorgeous outside so take it all in.
I trimmed some bushes Sunday and Monday and walked as well. Today I took a good walk quit early, then groceries and just finished cleaning. It would be great to get a walk in with my grandson, however he has a heart condition and lives in Baltimore. Technology is great, thank goodness!! He is 4 1/2 and has been through four surgeries. When I returned the end of February, I didn’t know it would be a year or more before I get to hug him again. Now I am just grateful that he is doing as good as he can.
He has HLHS, one functioning ventricle.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.