Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@jakedduck1

@lioness
I can relate to that I fell off my house twice out of a tree once off a ladder. I wasn’t the brightest bulb in the chandelier that’s for sure.
Jake

Jump to this post

@lioness @jakedduck1 Why were you so upset with Jake. He may have done something not to smart, but I though we were suppose to be positive on this post not shame on you. He's not a little kid and I'm sure it made him feel bad. This is just the way I feel. I try to be positive and Jake I'm sorry you fell off the ladder twice, try to be more careful.

Oh, my goodness! We had a much needed heavy rain last night and this morning the temp was 65 at 7am!! To celebrate, I took an "extra" morning walk and it was the purrfect tonic for the start of the day. Air smelled so fresh; was so invigorating I might even break down and chase some dust bunnies today!

Due to earlier destructive hail storms many houses here are needing new roofs. The house behind mine had roofers at work as I started my walk. I am so glad they have a cooler morning because they've been hard at it all month and we've had a huge successive run of temps over 100.

@fiesty76

Oh, my goodness! We had a much needed heavy rain last night and this morning the temp was 65 at 7am!! To celebrate, I took an "extra" morning walk and it was the purrfect tonic for the start of the day. Air smelled so fresh; was so invigorating I might even break down and chase some dust bunnies today!

Due to earlier destructive hail storms many houses here are needing new roofs. The house behind mine had roofers at work as I started my walk. I am so glad they have a cooler morning because they've been hard at it all month and we've had a huge successive run of temps over 100.

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 Enjoy the roofers while you have them - many are headed to "The Valley" to repair the roofs damaged by Hanna. Our little house is fine, but a number of friends had damage. My best friend was very lucky - a big old mesquite tree landed on her roof, but since it's steel she just had a few dents.
We too are enjoying a week of cooler morning temps and less humidity. I will do one of my "marathon" walks as soon as I finish breakfast and therapy - took a little (stupid) tumble yesterday so feel a bit stiff and need to limber up before I go.
Sue

@fiesty76

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 looks like I'll have to get an early start today, temperature expected to reach over 90 today. I just can't tolerate heat like that. I may have to turn the ac on this afternoon and do my exercise routine at home. There was an earthquake in LA yesterday, while it was not close to my daughter's home, it woke her up at 4:30 am, and she felt the after shock too. It was a very hot day too.... Shake and bake!

@lilypaws

@lioness @jakedduck1 Why were you so upset with Jake. He may have done something not to smart, but I though we were suppose to be positive on this post not shame on you. He's not a little kid and I'm sure it made him feel bad. This is just the way I feel. I try to be positive and Jake I'm sorry you fell off the ladder twice, try to be more careful.

Jump to this post

@lilypaws
Linda (@lioness) and I get along fabulously. What’s all this about falling off a ladder. I have no idea what you’re talking about.
Hope to hear from you.
Jake

I joined our local Heart Walk for Mayo Clinic Yesterday and my kids and I are going to walk the distance around our neighborhood! If you are interested in joining your own local AHA 2020 Heart Walk, here is the link: https://www2.heart.org/site/SPageNavigator/HeartWalk_Landing_Page.html

@lilypaws

Jump to this post

@lilypaws I'm not upset with Jake and didn't do whatever post you where referring to So Jake is a good friend . I resent this application of me.

@mayofeb2020

@fiesty76 looks like I'll have to get an early start today, temperature expected to reach over 90 today. I just can't tolerate heat like that. I may have to turn the ac on this afternoon and do my exercise routine at home. There was an earthquake in LA yesterday, while it was not close to my daughter's home, it woke her up at 4:30 am, and she felt the after shock too. It was a very hot day too.... Shake and bake!

Jump to this post

Mayofeb2020,
, there were several quakes yesterday. They were centered closer to me. The 4:30 a.m. quake woke me, but the almost 6 a.m. quake I really felt. No damage reported anyplace. There has been the Angeles Forest Fire north of Azusa that I last heard was out of control.
Fire season has started.
Yesterday was a shake and bake day.

@sueinmn

@fiesty76 Enjoy the roofers while you have them - many are headed to "The Valley" to repair the roofs damaged by Hanna. Our little house is fine, but a number of friends had damage. My best friend was very lucky - a big old mesquite tree landed on her roof, but since it's steel she just had a few dents.
We too are enjoying a week of cooler morning temps and less humidity. I will do one of my "marathon" walks as soon as I finish breakfast and therapy - took a little (stupid) tumble yesterday so feel a bit stiff and need to limber up before I go.
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn Sorry to here you fell be careful we don't want to hear of any broken bones Have a good walk

@amandaa

I joined our local Heart Walk for Mayo Clinic Yesterday and my kids and I are going to walk the distance around our neighborhood! If you are interested in joining your own local AHA 2020 Heart Walk, here is the link: https://www2.heart.org/site/SPageNavigator/HeartWalk_Landing_Page.html

Jump to this post

@amandaburnett Good for you when younger I did the heart walk then arthritis walk but now can't go more then around here

Please sign in or register to post a reply.