Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@lioness

@fiesty76 Oh no I'm so sorry . How did he get it ? Is school in session?I'llsay a prayer for him what is his first name ? You must feel terrible with this news. Is he the only grand you have? His family will have to be in quarentine also ? I'm glad its not only me that has noticed a drop in post . Here is something I never heard of before . I called to make another appt with the Dentist I couldn't get into now since I'm over 65 I need to get a slip from my PCP to go to the Dentist I don't think so. That's rediculous I'm not bothering my Dr about this . I told the lady I never heard of such a thing and will find another dentist . Did you ever hear of such a thing? To say the least she got a ear full

Jump to this post

I’ve not heard of such a thing about dentists! How bizarre!

@wisco50

I’ve not heard of such a thing about dentists! How bizarre!

Jump to this post

@wisco50 That was Western Dental never heard of it either

Back to walking, today is much nicer for getting moving - thunderstorms overnight and a stiff wind have chased a lot of the humidity away. So this morning I walked three miles in mid-seventies temps.
Smile for the day - the local church was holding a drive-in service, complete with live music (provided by one family) and a full parking lot. I walked by as services began and stopped to enjoy the music and in-person prayer. I wasn't the only one - neighbors were streaming in, wearing masks and taking seats on the lawn.
Sue

@migizii

@migizii I’m. Ot part of the walking group, but enjoy reading the stories....since my fusion surgery on my foot, I’ve been awfully sedentary. However, I was put in a boot a couple weeks ago and can now walk a few thousand steps a day on the heel of the boot....slow, but steady improvement.....even saw an eagle fly overhead the other day and I sure notice a lot of activities in the trees and bushes due to my “rate of speed.”😜

Jump to this post

@migizii Oh, your back to walking! Good job! Now, if I could just get out of bed early and take my walks about 7! I’ll think of you and get walking

@sueinmn

Back to walking, today is much nicer for getting moving - thunderstorms overnight and a stiff wind have chased a lot of the humidity away. So this morning I walked three miles in mid-seventies temps.
Smile for the day - the local church was holding a drive-in service, complete with live music (provided by one family) and a full parking lot. I walked by as services began and stopped to enjoy the music and in-person prayer. I wasn't the only one - neighbors were streaming in, wearing masks and taking seats on the lawn.
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn I think I have to go to sea level to do any long walks. The altitude here just really gets to me. Is the cast on your hand/arm hot? Becky

@sueinmn

Sue

Jump to this post

Love the gathering on the lawn. Sounds like the walk was fulfilling in several ways.
I, too, got my walk in when the temps were low 70’s. Said my prayers during my walk. Nearly clear skies, once it shades over in my yard, it’s time to do some wedding pulling.

@lioness

@fiesty76 Oh no I'm so sorry . How did he get it ? Is school in session?I'llsay a prayer for him what is his first name ? You must feel terrible with this news. Is he the only grand you have? His family will have to be in quarentine also ? I'm glad its not only me that has noticed a drop in post . Here is something I never heard of before . I called to make another appt with the Dentist I couldn't get into now since I'm over 65 I need to get a slip from my PCP to go to the Dentist I don't think so. That's rediculous I'm not bothering my Dr about this . I told the lady I never heard of such a thing and will find another dentist . Did you ever hear of such a thing? To say the least she got a ear full

Jump to this post

@lioness, His name is Greene and thank you for your prayers. We think it had to be from the small hockey group but don't know for sure. Daughter is going to check back with hockey coach to see if other players have been tested since she notified him of the diagnosis. Yes, the family is quarantining within the house as well and will go back to Denver this next week for re-testing.

I have Never heard of such a thing! I wonder if it is a way for that dental practice to discriminate against accepting older patients? I have heard of docs refusing to continue to see a patient if the patient hasn't been to see him/her for a yr or more but never anything like not accepting a new patient because of age. Glad you shared an earful with the person you spoke with. She probably doesn't make the rules but that is simply outrageous!

@lioness

@wisco50 That was Western Dental never heard of it either

Jump to this post

@wisco50 Must be a western thing

@becsbuddy

@sueinmn I think I have to go to sea level to do any long walks. The altitude here just really gets to me. Is the cast on your hand/arm hot? Becky

Jump to this post

@becsbuddy The cast is now a removable splint. The OT gave me several washable sleeves to wear inside of it, and I had a couple here from my previous surgery. So yes, it is HOT, but as soon as I come in, I take it off, wash up and let it air dry, then put it back on with a clean sleeve. I do the same if I go to the store or anywhere, except I also wash the splint with soap & water. Once a day I handwash all the dirty sleeves & all of our used masks and hang them on the shower rod to dry. Yesterday I had 4 sleeves and 4 masks hanging there. Remember the days when we used to do that with all our nylon hose and "unmentionables"? That's what our main bath reminds me of - good thing we don't have guests these days.
Sue

@sueinmn

@becsbuddy The cast is now a removable splint. The OT gave me several washable sleeves to wear inside of it, and I had a couple here from my previous surgery. So yes, it is HOT, but as soon as I come in, I take it off, wash up and let it air dry, then put it back on with a clean sleeve. I do the same if I go to the store or anywhere, except I also wash the splint with soap & water. Once a day I handwash all the dirty sleeves & all of our used masks and hang them on the shower rod to dry. Yesterday I had 4 sleeves and 4 masks hanging there. Remember the days when we used to do that with all our nylon hose and "unmentionables"? That's what our main bath reminds me of - good thing we don't have guests these days.
Sue

Jump to this post

@sueinmn "unmentionables" lol.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.