Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@wisco50 @funcountess Yes, I have arthritis, have had a lot of surgeries to repair damage from it. I am on a number of discussions, so it may have been mentioned elsewhere first.

My docs are at Twin Cities Ortho in Minnesota, have been with a number of them in the past 20+ years. They have their own surgery centers, and go to great lengths to keep everything immaculate to reduce infection risks of all sorts. I have also had one of my hand therapists since her children were infants - one has now graduated high school.

Everything is progressing well, now I'm just trying to be patient until I can begin rehab and use it again. After 3 weeks, I managed to mostly prepare dinner tonight. I'm sure my husband is tired of cooking, and we're not going to restaurants yet. I have also figured out how to do laundry and even folding most of it one handed, he just needs to tote the baskets upstairs for me.

@wisco, do you know what technique theybused on your thumb?
Sue

@sueinmn

@artscaping Yes, I wore mine out - combination of arthritis, strenuous work in early years, keyboards, gardening & sewing. I'm left-handed, and you're correct, the right one failed first.The surgery is called CMC Thumb reconstruction. They remove the trapezius bone at the base of the thumb, in my case also part of the next bone due to damage. There are various repair techniques - mine are called the "tightrope" - a clot is placed where the bone is removed, and a nylon line is anchored to the first carpal & the thumb for stability. No tendons (anchovy technique) are involved in this surgery, which makes healing & restrengthening go faster & easier. It was in a cast for 2 weeks, now a full-time (except when sitting watching TV) for 4 weeks, then therapy commences.
So far, so good with the recovery - no pain since the day after surgery - now I just have to behave while it heals.
Good luck deciding when to do yours - I definitely have better use from this technique than friends who had the other, but according to my hand therapist, 50-60% strength and 80% range of motion are considered full recovery - the main goals are pain relief and stability (the one I just had done was totally unstable this spring.)
Sue

Jump to this post

Interesting! I have both thumbs done, about 5 years apart. I actually had my non dominant hand done first, but I injured/tore ?thumb tendon around age 31 so arthritis was much more pronounced in that side. That was done using the tendon repair method. I had my dominant hand done by same surgeon years later and by then he was doing the newer anchor technique. Pain level postop was same, much better by third day out. I had nerve blocks for both of them, lasting almost 24 hours, so really that 48 hour time was the most aching. Ice, elevation, aspirin, ES Tylenol and some Vicodin helped. I got my function back pretty fast both sides. In the long run? For me, personally I think the side with the tendon repair feels better, stronger and the side with the newer repair still aches when weather changes. Maybe I have more arthritis already again? Nothing that aspirin can’t help.

@funcountess

Motorola is a good brand. The younger people in-line don’t care about distancing. They are always in a hurry.
Try to get in and out quickly.
Funcountess

Jump to this post

@funcountess That,s the plan .

@wisco50

Hi Katiejo59 - My back surgery in 11/2011 was a culmination of my problems over years. Was an RN in hospital areas that did require physical work (43 years worth). Had bulging discs, ruptured discs, significant spinal stenosis, DDD and yes, spondylolisthesis. Also had synovial cyst at L4-5 which ruptured and bled into spinal cord area, which cause severe acute pain, leading to my decision to have the surgery THEN instead of possibly a few months later. I was 61 at the time. Officially it was removal of the cyst sac and a TLIF (translumbar interbody fixation) at several adjacent levels, L side and R side both, though not exactly same levels. Would have to look it up as memory for all involved levels a bit fuzzy by now. When I started to have more issues in the last two or so years, getting MUCH more severe last year - limping, occ cane use, needed wheelchair in airport, significant pain, I was getting pain management (getting by on 1-2 Vicodin by evening, plus daily dosings of aspirin and ES acetaminophen, ice, heat, stretching. BUT was profoundly impacting my daily life. Hard to go for walks, flower garden, etc. More surgery eventually advised, more fusion levels and I just didn’t want to do it again. So I researched and ended up opting for spinal cord stimulator. I am happy with my decision, it has helped greatly. If I need anything it might be aspirin (daily adult two tabs) which has always helped me more and with less side effects than any other NSAID (tried them all!). I might take 1/2 tab lowest dose Vicodin for neck pain at bedtime occ. Refuse to have more surgery on it for several reasons. As to how to make decision re back surgery vs helping vs being worse off - get several opinions. Remember, surgeons will promote surgery , it’s their job! But a quality surgeon will not push you into it! ALL surgery has risks associated with it, that’s the truth.

Jump to this post

@wisco50 Backs are so hard on us nurses aren't they . All the ones I know have had back problems . So far I have refused back surgery but my pain Dr talked to me about a stimulator he said it would serve me well. I'm glad to hear you made the right decision for you and with a good report about them . I'll have to think more about it but may be more inclined to have one put in .

@fiesty76

@imallears, Yes! I've been doing the child's pose but didn't know what it was called until just not doing a google search for it and also the Happy Baby. Not sure about the 2nd one may have to ask you offline about part of that one. I agree that movement, getting up from sitting, standing and walks really help me most when my back goes out. If I could just stand still longer, that is often the best but motion is soo important.

I do the same getting up from the floor by rolling over on my side and pushing up with my hands from floor. And again, I do the knee grab to help me out of the bed when in back pain. I don't track distance when walking but doubt I'm making 2 miles most days. Good that you can...and you also mentioned a friend's jogging. Do you also sometimes jog? Impressive. That stopped for me some time ago but happy to hear you may still be able to do that! Laughing at your sweating eyelashes! Maybe that was what kept fogging up my glasses yesterday! Stay well, take care and thanks for back pain suggestions.

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 Im not sure what child pose is I know My pose but not this or Happy Baby pose . I do Tai Chi and some Yoga . As far as the floor of taking a bath in the tub forget it . I'd never get up .

@fiesty76

Thanks, @lioness, I hope your trip to Target goes well and you are successful with your new phone purchase. Will be eager to how it is for you in Target with staff and shoppers. Do take good care!

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 Thanks I will

@artscaping, Chris, interesting to learn your hand surgeon's response regarding the non-dominant hand problem arising first. Smiling at your report of Jay's gardening involvement regardless.... is that a hint that you might be the primary kitchen chef???? Like Jay, for many years, I could so lose myself in the yard that only thirst would drive me inside. Now, with less energy, additional health issues and more heat, I find myself taking more frequent sit down breaks and spending much less time where I most love to be. Grateful though to be able to do what I do and know there is always a jar of peanut butter if all else fails...vbg Hope you and yours are doing well. Are you still able to spend physical time with that most special little fellow in your lives?

@funcountess

Oh you need a cell phone. Sorry, thought you needed a land line. My land line is the Panasonic high volume. The cell is a LG made in Korea.
What brand are you buying Apple???
My Apple broke during the fire, too expensive to replace, so got the LG.
After while they are all junk and break down.
Don’t spend too much.
Careful the lines and distance with other customers. You may need to tell them to back away.
Never thought there would be such stress going on local errands.
Take care,
Funcountess

Jump to this post

@lioness and @funcountess, I have a 3-station Panasonic land line phone set which is working well for me. I especially appreciate being able to increase the volume because of my hearing loss.

However, I may be one of the very last in the country to still be holding onto a very simple flip phone from Consumer Cellular. Don't even know my own number and just use it for car or travel emergencies...vbg

I received a past due pmt from C.C. because I'd changed my credit card and failed to inform the company of the new number. In talking with the service rep, I asked for a recommendation for a verrry simple smart phone and impulsively ordered one she recommended. Now, perhaps, I can join the rest of the world but beyond plugging it in and activating it, I've yet to place my first call. Gotta remember to swipe up on the initial screen and remember to disconnect! Ohh the challenges!!!

My daughter and family will hoot when they find out I'm limping verrry slowly into the 21st century...Texting may continue to be beyond me but at least if I play with it long enough, I may learn how to use some of its features. Now that I've "mastered" activating the new one, think I'll check out utube for some "how to get started" tutorials...for sure I'll need all the help available! lol

Good luck with your new purchase. Hope it works well for you!!

@lioness

@fiesty76 Im not sure what child pose is I know My pose but not this or Happy Baby pose . I do Tai Chi and some Yoga . As far as the floor of taking a bath in the tub forget it . I'd never get up .

Jump to this post

@lioness, Here is a sight I found for the "child pose". I think frequent movement is the best thing we can do to keep our aging joints "oiled" and working. Smiles https://www.yogajournal.com/poses/happy-baby-pose

@funcountess

Oh you need a cell phone. Sorry, thought you needed a land line. My land line is the Panasonic high volume. The cell is a LG made in Korea.
What brand are you buying Apple???
My Apple broke during the fire, too expensive to replace, so got the LG.
After while they are all junk and break down.
Don’t spend too much.
Careful the lines and distance with other customers. You may need to tell them to back away.
Never thought there would be such stress going on local errands.
Take care,
Funcountess

Jump to this post

@funcountess, I couldn't agree with you more about the stress in first starting back to in-store shopping. I wasn't prepared for the emotional stress and fatigue I've encountered from my first two efforts!

Please sign in or register to post a reply.