Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

@fiesty76

@becsbuddy, Becky, this poster is true! Walking really does improve the spirits. I took my Sat. walk at 6:30am while still very cool then worked in the back yard for 4 hours with several sitting and sipping iced tea breaks. Physical tiredness is such a good antidote for the blahs or blues or just "I don't want tos", yes?

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 You’re out walking at 6:30? I’ve been slowly training myself to get up at 7! Mornings, if I can get up, are better for me. Today I walked 1.5 miles very slowly because the dog wanted to sniff every blade of grass! Now, I’m going to get up the energy to return some googly eyes to the store!

@becsbuddy, Becky and other walking/cizers friends I think it is alas time for me to make a voluntary confession. While I am quite sure most of you are not contending with this dilemma and heaven only knows, that a walk every single day is great therapy, I now sometimes have to check my computer first thing each morning to check the date and then check the nearby paper calendar to "verify" which day of the week it is. Now granted I am older but still, I want to be sure to fulfill my goal of at least walking the 3 designated days/week I set back in January. Additional walks are fine and I can give myself bonus points for those but I really do hope to maintain the three specific days for the remainder of the year.

This morning, started out at 6:30am and was quite surprised to encounter a fellow walking his two adorable bassethounds. It was all I could do to restrain myself from walking up to the threesome for a pet and cuddle with the bassets. That was my first time seeing the early walker and his 2 four leggers but it added such unexpected happiness to the start of my morning. My Happy Leigh and I shared 16 yrs together before she crossed the rainbow bridge and for the rest of this morning's outing, I pondered the wonderful years, times and antics of my many beloved pets. Pets add a dimension and flavor to our lives that humans cannot touch, yes?

@fiesty76

@becsbuddy, Becky and other walking/cizers friends I think it is alas time for me to make a voluntary confession. While I am quite sure most of you are not contending with this dilemma and heaven only knows, that a walk every single day is great therapy, I now sometimes have to check my computer first thing each morning to check the date and then check the nearby paper calendar to "verify" which day of the week it is. Now granted I am older but still, I want to be sure to fulfill my goal of at least walking the 3 designated days/week I set back in January. Additional walks are fine and I can give myself bonus points for those but I really do hope to maintain the three specific days for the remainder of the year.

This morning, started out at 6:30am and was quite surprised to encounter a fellow walking his two adorable bassethounds. It was all I could do to restrain myself from walking up to the threesome for a pet and cuddle with the bassets. That was my first time seeing the early walker and his 2 four leggers but it added such unexpected happiness to the start of my morning. My Happy Leigh and I shared 16 yrs together before she crossed the rainbow bridge and for the rest of this morning's outing, I pondered the wonderful years, times and antics of my many beloved pets. Pets add a dimension and flavor to our lives that humans cannot touch, yes?

Jump to this post

@fiesty76.. I'm at my daughter's for a week for a change of scenery. She and her husband have been working at home and had groceries delivered since beginning of March, so I felt pretty safe. I'm still walking in the morning and evening. There are no sidewalks on the streets around here, with cars parked on both sides, I have to be extra careful. Some parts are also hilly. June gloom is here, it's downright chilly in the am. Yes, fiesty, I muss my Cassie, she was abandoned by her owners and the best pet, but when she passes away, the stress was too much I could not face having another. I took care of my son's dog for a few years when he and his wife both worked. I went to his house, took care of Bubba, baked cookies for him (he had terrible allergies) and we walked miles and miles. Now mommy stays home with the baby and I miss him. I always say I am grandma to two...the dog and my grandson.

@fiesty76

Jump to this post

@fiesty76 Yes pets do now I don't have any and miss them . Had dogs all my life

Another wonderfuld day for a walk. I was out at 8, and happy that I beat the humidity. My low hiking shoes are better for me now than my walking shoes (?) . I have become a firm believer in the benefit of following my podiatrist's advice to use ice to relieve my inflamation!
I'm happy to be walking with you.

@mayofeb2020

@fiesty76.. I'm at my daughter's for a week for a change of scenery. She and her husband have been working at home and had groceries delivered since beginning of March, so I felt pretty safe. I'm still walking in the morning and evening. There are no sidewalks on the streets around here, with cars parked on both sides, I have to be extra careful. Some parts are also hilly. June gloom is here, it's downright chilly in the am. Yes, fiesty, I muss my Cassie, she was abandoned by her owners and the best pet, but when she passes away, the stress was too much I could not face having another. I took care of my son's dog for a few years when he and his wife both worked. I went to his house, took care of Bubba, baked cookies for him (he had terrible allergies) and we walked miles and miles. Now mommy stays home with the baby and I miss him. I always say I am grandma to two...the dog and my grandson.

Jump to this post

@mayofeb2020, Wonderful news that you can be with your daughter and family for a week. A change of scenery always boosts my spirits but for that to happen and include time with your family is a real bonus! After having dogs most of my life, like you, when my Sunshine dowg of 16 yrs passed away, I also decided that I'd not have another dog. I still miss her and the wonderful walks we shared.

My great granddowg, Henry, sends me e-mails from Philadelphia and is gifted by his proud great gran on birthdays and X-mas. Learned long ago that our four leggers were sometimes the most obedient and loyal of family members...especially the younger ones. LOL

@mayofeb2020 Amen to that After Howard died my best friend was my 🐕 I miss him also .Glad you had your time with your daughter and family. Mine did a drive by it was good to see them I live in building with 300 people so that's why they didn't come in .

@lioness

@mayofeb2020 Amen to that After Howard died my best friend was my 🐕 I miss him also .Glad you had your time with your daughter and family. Mine did a drive by it was good to see them I live in building with 300 people so that's why they didn't come in .

Jump to this post

@lioness, Any more virus breakouts in your bldg? Thinking of you and agree that our pets can be our best friends and an additional perk is that they love us any way and every day, yes? Hope you are staying well! So glad your family did a drive by!!!!!

Another early morning walk in the neighborhood. We had rain last night which was very welcome and the morning was almost long sleeve cool! Then out to transplant the starters of okra, zucchini, summer squash and bell peppers...All sprouting 4 leaves so added some homemade compost as an encourager to their new garden setting.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.