Knee replacement gone bad: Patella & Recovery
In 2021, I had total knee replacement surgery. I remember feeling an air pocket that would pop while bending my knee during physical therapy. When I told the doctor, he told me it was normal. That whole year, my knee stayed swollen and tight. In 2022, I went for a 2 mile walk around my neighborhood. The following day, I woke up with my patella on the side of my leg. When I contacted the doctor’s office, I was told I over did it. I waited another two weeks, and the doctor wanted to see me. They took an x-ray and saw that my patella component had come loose from the cement. That was in April 2022. I had to wait until June 2022, to have revision surgery. This past July, my husband and I went bike riding. Woke up the next day with a swollen and painful knee. I waited two days to contact my primary care doctor. They did not have an appointment and told me I needed to go to urgent care because they thought my knee might be infected. At urgent care, the doctor took an x-ray and told me that my patella has been fractured. I have been in a brace since July. I was able to find another orthopedic doctor. I felt like my first orthopedics surgeon did not listen to me and he never spent more than 5 minutes with me. During my first visit, he suggested that I should return to my surgeon since he knows my knee better. I told him I was not comfortable returning to him. According to doctor’s note: Possibility of displacement of the fracture in the future discussed. The complexity of the problem, which was explained to her in detail given the extensor mechanism injury, the possibility of her having some persistent pain, further loosening of the implant, repeat fracture, displacement of the fracture compromising her ability to stand, walk, etc. discussed in detail. The possibility of instability in the future is also discussed, given the extensor mechanism pathology that she has. She understands that possibility of refracture is there, using a prosthesis risk is also there, need of additional surgical intervention, possible patellectomy, allograft placement in the future etc. discussed. She is aware of all the scenarios. No guarantees expressed. ” I have been back to this surgeon three times. Every time I go, all he tells me is to wear the brace for 4-5 more weeks. I feel that he is afraid to do anything because of my complicated case. I am wondering if anyone else out there has had this situation. What was done? How are you feeling? Is there a way to fix this problem? I am 59 years old and in pretty good shape. I am shocked that this has happened to me and that I don’t know what my future holds.