Infection after TKR

Posted by emintexas @emintexas, Apr 3, 2019

I had a TKR revision last October and three weeks later came down with staph infection. IV antibiotics then oral antibiotics were working, after a reopen and clean out, until I got a stomach bug in Feb 2019 and antibiotics couldn't stay in my system. Staph came raging back and now am facing removal and antibiotic spacers put in. I have a lot of questions for anyone else who has gone through this. First of all, I'm 56, healthy – other than my stupid knee – and an executive running a large department. I only missed a week with the revision, I did great and felt like a million bucks. I didn't drive for about three weeks, but could walk just fine. With the mobility spacer, can you walk? Can you drive at some point? I am really struggling with putting my life on hold for this and want to know if there is anyone out there who has had this done, is about my age and what your experience was. I can't stand being "taken care of" although my husband will do it, if I let him. 🙂 thank you!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements group.

Hello @emintexas, welcome to Connect. We have had a lot of members discuss antibiotic spacers after getting infection post-hip replacement. I urge you to check out an in-depth conversation between members on that subject here, Although they may not be talking about a knee replacement specifically, I suspect that many of the issues you are wondering about and have concerns about are similar.

@emintexas, has there been any discussion on how long the antibiotic spacer will need to be in? Is it until they feel the infection is under control or gone?


Hi @emintexas – I want to join @JustinMcClanahan in welcoming you to Connect. It sounds as if you have been through the ringer. I know this must be terribly inconvenient and scary and I'm sorry you are having to go through it. I had a knee replacement in January and I'm happy to say my recovery was uneventful – and even at that its not something you want to go through. Can I ask what caused you to have to have the revision? As Justin mentioned, I think you will find good information on the thread he recommended. Wishing you the best of luck.


I had TKR in July, 8 weeks later I convinced the Dr there was a problem( after terrible pain and swelling. I had a staph epi infection. He operated and put in spacer with antibiotics and then we had to do six weeks of IV home antibiotics. It was an awful experience. I still have spacer in… I can walk…. pain everyday , especially when I get up and down. During this ordeal I got a blood clot in my arm from the pic line. I had three months of Eliquis.
Long story, the Dr wants to wait til after September to talk about surgery to put knee parts in.
I am now planning to go to Mayo clinic to get them to do surgery , if they will.
I am a female 60 years old. I retired in January, was not able to work, I was selling advertising.
Good luck….. keep us informed.


Titia131, I’m so sorry to hear about all of these complications you’ve had and are still dealing with. Let us know how things progress.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.
  Request Appointment