I want to know if there is a medical term for this?

Posted by djesteves91 @djesteves91, Mar 12 3:04pm

Near the end of 2021, I was receiving treatment by my wonderful podiatrist, and I felt like one of my calves was smaller than the other. After a careful and gentle examination, she concluded that my left calf is half an inch smaller than my right calf, and that my left calf has slight swelling and moderate atrophy, as my right calf doesn't have either or of these things. What I'd like to know is, is there a medical term for when one of your calves has slight swelling and moderate atrophy altogether?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Bones, Joints & Muscles Support Group.

Look up Sarcopenia. Praying for you! Blessings....


I'm not sure there is a name for what you are experiencing outside of calf asymmetry. Muscle atrophy can come from a very large range of causes. Are you physically active; do you play a sport or have played a sport for an extended period. Do you have to sit all day? My husband is a cyclist and his calve is so extraordinarily larger than the other I joke with him about it. As we age it is entirely normal that we start to lose some muscle mass. Most people will have larger muscles on the right if the right handed and versa. Maybe this will help. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3130218/#:~:text=People%20come%20in%20different%20shapes,to%20these%20muscles%20during%20walking.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.