Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@kathyomaha55

I thought my hot flashes got worse with the anastrozole. But they are better now than the first 4 months. Dead of winter & I was only sleeping with 1 sheet on me! Doctor is switching me to Exemestane - but that's to see if the hand pain will ease. I sure hope it's better.

Jump to this post

@kathyomaha55 My daughter-in-law has seen the improvement since my switching to exemestane as with the other two AIs, the heel pain made it difficult to get up from a seated position to stand and walk as well as hand, leg, and elbow pain. Sure do hope it goes better for you as it has with me.

@kathyomaha55

I thought my hot flashes got worse with the anastrozole. But they are better now than the first 4 months. Dead of winter & I was only sleeping with 1 sheet on me! Doctor is switching me to Exemestane - but that's to see if the hand pain will ease. I sure hope it's better.

Jump to this post

@kathyomaha55 when I was anastrozole, in one day I had 62 bouts of hot flashes and the following day for just a few hours I would say I had suicidal thought. Thank heavens I knew what was up (due to reading these blogs and the most wonderful pharmacist) and called the Dr
Horrendous feeling of loss of control!

@bressie

I would like to stay in touch with you to see how you do. Does insurance cover it. I have united health care and medicare. Ill keep you in my prayers. Keep me posted wish you the very best us old gals need to stick together

Jump to this post

Bressie, I'm happy to stay in touch. I started the exemestane on Monday October 28th, 2019 so it's too soon to tell about side effects. With my Kaiser insurance I always pay $5.00 per RX of any pills. Yes! It helps to chat with other "old gals"!

@gwinter

@kathyomaha55 when I was anastrozole, in one day I had 62 bouts of hot flashes and the following day for just a few hours I would say I had suicidal thought. Thank heavens I knew what was up (due to reading these blogs and the most wonderful pharmacist) and called the Dr
Horrendous feeling of loss of control!

Jump to this post

@gwinter
That's the key thing, isn't it... sharing our experiences alerts and educates us to get help when needed! Thank you for your post,

I was talking recently with two women friends who have also gone through breast cancer. They have both decided to not take the recommended AI. They told me there was a recent study about using AI that showed a 30% chance of recurrence. I don’t mean to alarm anyone, but would love to read any current studies. Does anyone have a link?

@gwinter

@trixie are you taking anything for your hot flashes?
Anybody ideas??

Jump to this post

Listening to Q & A and if go to 9 min 30 sec point in this video, she talks about side effects hormone therapy and discusses hot flashes.

https://www.facebook.com/MayoClinic/videos/410105226608669/
@trixie1313

@kathyomaha55 My daughter-in-law has seen the improvement since my switching to exemestane as with the other two AIs, the heel pain made it difficult to get up from a seated position to stand and walk as well as hand, leg, and elbow pain. Sure do hope it goes better for you as it has with me.

Jump to this post

I had hands & shoulders & toes! The shoulders & toes are so much better - I was on anastrozole for 11 months. I sure hope switching helps. Watching the Mayo clinic Video right now. They mention exercise - which I do. And acupuncture for joint pain - interesting!!

@dmgweiss

I was talking recently with two women friends who have also gone through breast cancer. They have both decided to not take the recommended AI. They told me there was a recent study about using AI that showed a 30% chance of recurrence. I don’t mean to alarm anyone, but would love to read any current studies. Does anyone have a link?

Jump to this post

I was told - that whatever my chance for recurrence was - the AI inhibitor cuts that in Half. Otherwise I would not be doing this. If it returns, metastasized Breast cancer is essentially incurable. It only has a 22% 5 year survival rate. 🙁

@sparklegram

Bressie, I'm happy to stay in touch. I started the exemestane on Monday October 28th, 2019 so it's too soon to tell about side effects. With my Kaiser insurance I always pay $5.00 per RX of any pills. Yes! It helps to chat with other "old gals"!

Jump to this post

Exemestane was $101.00 for 30 days (after I had met my deductible) for me.

@kathyomaha55

Exemestane was $101.00 for 30 days (after I had met my deductible) for me.

Jump to this post

Kathy, that's horrible! It shouldn't be this way. Does anyone know of a way to avoid these kinds of prices? (besides joining Kaiser!) Kathy, do you have Medicare?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.