Concerned about the side effects of anastrozole

Posted by tinalove @tinalove, Jan 31, 2016

I completed all treatments for breast cancer but now I am supposed to take hormone blocker, named anastrozole. im concerned about the side effects. Has anyone here taken it and did anyone have hair loss?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@jeannie53

@batm I hear ya! The doctor told me that after a month it is all out of your system. Well I'm here to tell you it took almost 3 months to feel like myself again. Glad to hear your doing well on Tamoxifen how long have you been on it.

Jump to this post

Almost 4 months now. No issues at all, quite the opposite of arimidex, for me. Major concern with tamoxifen that the oncologist mentioned is blood clots, but I have no history of them, and I’m active, so should be good.

I feel good mostly but I tire more easily than I did pre- cancer. It's not excessive, it doesn't stop me from doing what I want. My back hurts more often. I also have aches and pains from time to time. Hard to know if it's my age (62) or the Anastrozole. I usually just blame the Anastrozol. 😉

@baker1

I feel good mostly but I tire more easily than I did pre- cancer. It's not excessive, it doesn't stop me from doing what I want. My back hurts more often. I also have aches and pains from time to time. Hard to know if it's my age (62) or the Anastrozole. I usually just blame the Anastrozol. 😉

Jump to this post

@baker1 It's odd, I stopped anastrozole because of all the side effects and then began letrozole. Had the aches and stiffness, but just had Zometa infusion on Monday and ankles and hands aren't as bad - could be coincidental as the Zometa caused lots of bone pain and now is subsiding. But I'll sure agree with you, the fatigue is annoying. I try to get out for long walks (3 miles) every other day and swim on the odd days as well as gardening, but find that I have to sit down for bits inbetween what I do. I miss hill hiking, but am not up for that yet.

@batm

Almost 4 months now. No issues at all, quite the opposite of arimidex, for me. Major concern with tamoxifen that the oncologist mentioned is blood clots, but I have no history of them, and I’m active, so should be good.

Jump to this post

I've been on tamoxifin for 2 1/2 years, got a blood clot just last month. Six hour flight, wasn't the deep one.

@trixie1313

@baker1 It's odd, I stopped anastrozole because of all the side effects and then began letrozole. Had the aches and stiffness, but just had Zometa infusion on Monday and ankles and hands aren't as bad - could be coincidental as the Zometa caused lots of bone pain and now is subsiding. But I'll sure agree with you, the fatigue is annoying. I try to get out for long walks (3 miles) every other day and swim on the odd days as well as gardening, but find that I have to sit down for bits inbetween what I do. I miss hill hiking, but am not up for that yet.

Jump to this post

I walk at least 3 miles a day, most days. I walk 30 minutes to a Leslie SANSONE walking video. That gives me 2 miles. The rest is just going about my day. It helps to keep my weight in check.

@baker1

I walk at least 3 miles a day, most days. I walk 30 minutes to a Leslie SANSONE walking video. That gives me 2 miles. The rest is just going about my day. It helps to keep my weight in check.

Jump to this post

@baker1 That's great - keep up the good work!

@azlane

I've been on tamoxifin for 2 1/2 years, got a blood clot just last month. Six hour flight, wasn't the deep one.

Jump to this post

@azlane So grateful you're doing well.

@baker1

Jump to this post

@baker1
Since starting anastrozole in January 2018, I've had a number of side effects, but the one which I didn't expect was losing a bit over a pound each month. (I have a friend who reacted similarly, so I don't think it's too unusual.) The joint and bone pains have stopped now, or at least for the time being. I do a 20-minute mile each afternoon to overcome the insomnia. The one side effect which I truly hate is what it has done to my skin... and apparently it's just something I must learn to live with....

Hi- I am three months in using Anastrozole with hot flashes and muscle/joint pain. I have heard others talk about having it effect their skin, but it isn't clear what this side effect is- is it dryness? I was just reassured by my oncologist that after three months I probably won't get additional side effects- is this what people have seen? Thanks for your help. Denise

@dmgweiss

Hi- I am three months in using Anastrozole with hot flashes and muscle/joint pain. I have heard others talk about having it effect their skin, but it isn't clear what this side effect is- is it dryness? I was just reassured by my oncologist that after three months I probably won't get additional side effects- is this what people have seen? Thanks for your help. Denise

Jump to this post

@dmgweiss
I can only reflect on my experience. I was 70 when I started anastrozole. I was proud of my skin and my complexion. About 3 months in, my oncologist's NP notted that anastrozole did terrible things to skin and I assumed that genes were protecting mine. Around month 9, I began to wrinkle (face, hands, arms, legs). It's been about a year-and-a-half now, and my skin has aged 20 years in my view. It's been a shock to what's left of my vanity.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.