Share this:
susandenise
@susandenise

Posts: 6
Joined: May 10, 2016

Concerned: Should I get a biopsy?

Posted by @susandenise, May 10, 2016

Hello group. I am so happy to find a place to share and discuss my breast cancer concerns.

REPLY

I have been diagnosed by three different hospitals for three different diagnosis. First hospital said…stage 0, suspicious. Second opinion said stage 1 early breast cancer, biopsy needed immediately which was never done due to my insurance refusing. Third opinion stated that I had fibrocystic breast disease and it would go as fast as it came. All opinions came from breast cancer specialty hospitals. I am returning to my second opinion hospital and just taking the fall and full out paying in cash for the biopsy. Anyone ever go through this with hospitals?

You will never have peace of mind if you dont have the biopsy. It’s very unusual to have such divergent opinions. My bc dx was a year ago, doing well now. Good luck to you, hope it’s nothing.

Thank you for your support and response.

Welcome to Connect @susandenise. If you would like to seek a second opinion at Mayo Clinic contact the appointment office here http://mayocl.in/1mtmR63. Did your insurance say why they refused to pay for the biopsy? Please let us know how it goes.

Colleen, the insurance refused due to lack of evidence from the testing provided to them from the doctors. I have a 7 mm x 5 mm swollen milk duct with microcalcifications and linear branching with tumors and nipple discharge in left breast with right breast calcifications shown on the mammograms and ultrasounds with tumors. I’m on Medicare due to oral cancer that is in remission. They feel it’s not ” evidence” proof , If you will to do a biopsy now and wait six months, get another ultrasound and if it has spread then an MRI would be approved. I’m not waiting. This was from BCBS PPO insurance. Results were from Roswell park cancer institute. All in all the insurance company feels that my primary should be able to handle these problems as it sounds like to them ” fibrocystic breast disease” , not cancer….. When did insurance companies become doctors? So I’m going alone on this.

@susandenise

Colleen, the insurance refused due to lack of evidence from the testing provided to them from the doctors. I have a 7 mm x 5 mm swollen milk duct with microcalcifications and linear branching with tumors and nipple discharge in left breast with right breast calcifications shown on the mammograms and ultrasounds with tumors. I’m on Medicare due to oral cancer that is in remission. They feel it’s not ” evidence” proof , If you will to do a biopsy now and wait six months, get another ultrasound and if it has spread then an MRI would be approved. I’m not waiting. This was from BCBS PPO insurance. Results were from Roswell park cancer institute. All in all the insurance company feels that my primary should be able to handle these problems as it sounds like to them ” fibrocystic breast disease” , not cancer….. When did insurance companies become doctors? So I’m going alone on this.

Jump to this post

I’m so sorry, this must be so stressful for you! We hope it is fibro. disease, but why wait to see if it spreads? We hear we should be proactive. Best of luck to you.

@susandenise

Colleen, the insurance refused due to lack of evidence from the testing provided to them from the doctors. I have a 7 mm x 5 mm swollen milk duct with microcalcifications and linear branching with tumors and nipple discharge in left breast with right breast calcifications shown on the mammograms and ultrasounds with tumors. I’m on Medicare due to oral cancer that is in remission. They feel it’s not ” evidence” proof , If you will to do a biopsy now and wait six months, get another ultrasound and if it has spread then an MRI would be approved. I’m not waiting. This was from BCBS PPO insurance. Results were from Roswell park cancer institute. All in all the insurance company feels that my primary should be able to handle these problems as it sounds like to them ” fibrocystic breast disease” , not cancer….. When did insurance companies become doctors? So I’m going alone on this.

Jump to this post

My thoughts exactly! Wait till it spreads?? Unreal advice. I’m not sure what to do except do the biopsy which is scheduled for May 27 th and go from there.

Please login or register to post a reply.