Had lobectomy in 2020 still having radiating severe nerve pain.

Posted by mef @mef, Aug 11, 2023

Had upper right lobectomy in 2020. I’m still having severe radiating nerve pain. Anyone else having this?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Lung Cancer Support Group.

Just diagnosed with LUL cancer found by accident,very aggressive, but my physician is moving slow. Wanted to remove the lobe but just not ready for that, I’m scared to death no one to talk to, just found out I had diabetes,Ra and now this ,what do I do

@yellowstonelady

I am so sorry to hear that. My surgeon told me that my lung cancer lobectomy pain would go away in a year or so. That was in 2000. I still have nerve pain 23 years later. I've learned to block it out most of the time. Winter storms cause it to be more painful. I have a large size heat pad on the back of my chair and keep it on most of the day. The pain tends to be sharper when my back gets chilled and goosebumps.

I hope your nerve pain goes away eventually. When I complain about my scar pain to the husband, he reminds me that I am very lucky to be here.

Jump to this post

Thank you for your comments. Very sorry to hear you’re still suffering 23 years later. I know that we are lucky we are still alive. It’s helpful to be able to discuss these issues with others who have experienced the same issues. I’ve recently learned that I now have 5 nodules on left & 2 on the right lung. They are all small but it’s scary. Have you had any new nodules pop up on the scans?

Thanks for your comment. With my lobectomy they went in from my back shoulder. There’s a 7-8 inch incision. I truly hope your nerve issue subsides. After about a year the pain becomes more or less permanent. Mine comes from the incision & radiates around to my front top rib. I also have a big muscle that spasms & comes through my front rib cage. It’s like a Charlie horse & very painful. They’re calling it a Thoracotic defect from the surgery.
It does pass if I hold my arm above my head as it stretches the muscle.
The nerve pain radiates across my back & is deep & burning. I have to get on a heating pad immediately & that does help to calm the nerves down.
I have read that this nerve pain is common after that type of surgery. It was difficult finding a bra that wouldn’t aggravate it. I still dread wearing a bra.
I’m hoping that someday these issues will lessen but so far they haven’t.

I had the right upper lobe removed in April 2023. Still having nerve issues but they’re annoying and not seriously painful. Was told it would take 6 months for the nerve stuff to go away. Little concerned to hear that yours is lingering. Sorry to hear it. I’m wondering when the feeling of “fullness” will go away.

I also had a video assisted lobectomy on my left upper lung in 2020. What a shock to have to deal with this and a pandemic…I’m not sure if you had video assisted with your lobectomy, I ask because the difference is huge and more invasive. I still feel some pain in the scars and I use a heating pad or sometimes cold and it’s very soothing but temporary so Tylenol extra strength also helps. I hope it’s helpful for you and if all else fails, keep telling yourself that the cancer is gone, it’s a good thing to remember when you get frustrated with the pain, good luck.

I am so sorry to hear that. My surgeon told me that my lung cancer lobectomy pain would go away in a year or so. That was in 2000. I still have nerve pain 23 years later. I've learned to block it out most of the time. Winter storms cause it to be more painful. I have a large size heat pad on the back of my chair and keep it on most of the day. The pain tends to be sharper when my back gets chilled and goosebumps.

I hope your nerve pain goes away eventually. When I complain about my scar pain to the husband, he reminds me that I am very lucky to be here.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.